Compadre or Garrett 350?

didymus

Looking at buying a Compare, sounds like a great little unit. $160ish new.
Or there's a Garrett 350 just listed on Craigslist for $200.
This would be my first detector except for a Garrett Hombre that I got at a yard sale.
Any suggestions on which way to go?:?:

Well I love the Compadre..but a 350 for 200 bucks? ya might want to go that route..cant really beat that.

Got it!

The guy with the Garrett 350 brought it over tonight. I ended up paying$ 15 less than he had first asked and he gave me a pair of Garrett headphones to go with it.

I can't wait to give it a shot tomorrow:chaplin:

Congrats. Sounds like you got a sweet deal. Let us know how you like it. Good luck and HH.

rain falls on the just and unjust

Well, my son and I took the 350 out for a try this afternoon. I also wanted to try out my Harbor Freight pinpointer that I got as a Father's day present today. The HF worked nice at home when I tested it, but it started squealing as soon as I pressed the button when I got to the hunting site. So I couldn't even use it... but it worked fine again at home. I think I remember seeing something on the forums that the HF didn't like humidity. So that's probably the problem. I'll have to fine that thread, I think a fix was mentioned.

I'm using the 350 with no discrimination as is recommended for a newbie. I'm still new and excited enough that I don't think I'll mind digging everything that beeps in the course of learning how to use the machine.

So off we go...
I get a good solid bell like tone... machine says 25cents and 6 inches deep...
8 inches later I find the bottom of an old aluminum pop can... oh well...

Got another beep a couple of minutes later... machine says pull tab... 2 inches. Hmmm... from what I've read pull tabs sometimes are gold rings... so I dig!... and I find...... a pull tab at 2"....

Well I have to say... the machine seems to know its stuff!

And then... the rain which had been threatening for a while, began to fall, and to fall, and to fall. Seems like a lot of the Youtube videos that I've watched end in rain... hmmm... is it something in our detectors that causes it?

I sat and waited and waited... and it was only when I heard my son say, "Dad, are you asleep?" that I realized I had taken a nap!
Called it quits and went on home, actual hunting time... maybe all of 15 minutes... sitting and waiting and napping... probably an hour... oh well...

But hey, I did find a clad quarter by eyesight, so I guess that counts!

Oh clad does count! Save it and count it! I bought a brand new ProPointer on just money recovered from the ground metal detecting.

Well, my son and I took the 350 out for a try this afternoon. I also wanted to try out my Harbor Freight pinpointer that I got as a Father's day present today. The HF worked nice at home when I tested it, but it started squealing as soon as I pressed the button when I got to the hunting site. So I couldn't even use it... but it worked fine again at home. I think I remember seeing something on the forums that the HF didn't like humidity. So that's probably the problem. I'll have to fine that thread, I think a fix was mentioned.

And then... the rain which had been threatening for a while, began to fall, and to fall, and to fall. Seems like a lot of the Youtube videos that I've watched end in rain... hmmm... is it something in our detectors that causes it?

This is the link to the fix - read trough it, on page 3 Coyote suggest silicone. The switch will eventually die, when it does, then replace it with a better one, and you have one very nice pinpointer.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=17857

The rain on the videoes are a result of one of Murphy's laws. When you are having the most fun, and did'nt bring your raincoat - It will start raining..... ;)

GL and Happy hunting...

/Steffen

found Gold!... well no, not really but we did find clad!

Thanks for the link to the thread about the HF pinpointer, I knew I read about the fix somewhere.

My son and I made it back out this afternoon. We searched around the playground at church. We couldn't really dig. I made the mistake of buying some garden tools at Harbor Freight when I bought the pinpointer. The fatter shovel broke off at the handle digging the first hole yesterday and today the narrower one almost bent in two. I'm glad it was only $5 I wasted.

Got a lot of beeps all over but most of them were indicated as 6-8 inches deep, so we'll dig them up when we have better tools. Most of the coins we found were either on the surface hidden in the grass or just barely covered by dirt.
Gotta love them monkey bars!

We found a total of $2.62 all clad. 10 quarters, 1 dime and two zincolns.

It's only been two days that I've owned the ace 350 but I really enjoy it. Thanks for the recommendations.
Great way to spend a little extra time with my son too!

Nice first trip. Took me three before I found a quarter. Lol! The machine will go deeper after a rain so hopefully you got yourself some old coins down there. I bought a small hand shovel with a serrated edge on one side from Lowes a few days ago. It digs just as good or better than the fiskars digger from Walmart. Good luck and HH.

Back
Top Bottom