Coil sharing: Tracker IV - Micronta 4003

mlitty

Forum Supporter
My dad gave me an old Micronta 4003 VLF Metal Detector, thinking I might be able to get it fixed. The settings dials have worn out and are unreliable. Does anyone have an opinion on weather this model is worth fixing?

My other question is would the Micronta coil work with my Tracker IV? My Tracker has an open coil that gets snagged in the brush. It would be nice to have a closed coil to use in snaggy situations. I'm also curious to see how the different coils perform.

This is an easy one.

The Micronta 4003 is a pretty poor machine not worth the repair effort.
Its a basic sync. demod. VLF design let down by a very bad coil.
You can up the performance of the detector by opening the search head and rewinding both the RX and the TX coils. You then need a Scope to align them and they must be bonded in position.

If you did this well (and the frequencies matched) I still don't think you would match the performance of your standard Tracker coil.

I would take the KISS solution and use two bits of that plastic type corrugated card thats used for signs. Cut to size and fix to each side of the coil.

I have just used one of these for the first time today. its my mates. we both dont really know whats good or not but we had a good time and found a few things like! i think there ok to be honest its probably not the best and its old but still does a job :)!

i wouldnt mind having one as a beginner!

Back
Top Bottom