Dogs

pulltabMiner

Forum Supporter
I was out the other evening at a local park and ran into a very sweet burial site for someone's pet dog. It had a tiny tomb stone and everything with a very sweet dedication. It was right under a very old mulberry tree. I respectfully moved away from the tree and hunted elsewhere.

As I was busy digging what I was sure to be a silver coin, I heard someone yell: "no Buddy!", or mabye it was "No, Rudy!", or maybe "No! Satan!", I've forgotten because when i looked up I saw a very large, very muscular pit bull and a very large, very muscular boxer charging at me with their itty beady eyes full of murderous intent.

I don't care what kind of a bad a** you think you are, when you see what I saw you think of only one thing: quick escape. Unfortunately, by the time I even stood up, the two dogs were upon me...licking, smelling, and otherwise wagging their tails in goofy friendliness. Then they proceeded to inspect the hole I was digging and finding it lacking I am sure, they returned to their owner.

By that time, Bella, the third dog finally arrived. She was a small mop of a dog and more ferocious than her two brothers but by then, I had already been scared witless and Bella just didn't impress me.

I could have lectured the old man for having unleashed dogs in the city park but truly, I was just happy to be alive.

man I've been in that situation!

I never know if the doags are actually going for my jugular or not...but they seems to just want a lick!

i have never been afraid of dogs my wifes one cousin has to pits and they are the sweetest dog and when her kid was learning to walk the baby would pull itself up by holding onto them and they would walk with him

I have had the same experience, but I never get too uptight as long as there appears to be an owner nearby.

Most dogs are just curious, but owners should be a little better at controlling them in public. I'm more troubled by their droppings! ;)

Still, I'll tend to get my Lesche Tool into my hand quickly.

Still, I'll tend to get my Lesche Tool into my hand quickly.

what I would do, I've already been attacked by a dog that was unchained, and get this, it was a dog that belong to a police officer and his wife, after that the wife always told the dog to "get him boy!" when I walked by the house. After that experience any dog comes at me, good chance its either going to die or be severely injured and a nice pointy Lesche should do the trick! Sharp or not, with enough force behind it flesh will give and the tool will win.

I got tag teamed once, the big noise making german shephard with large yellow teeth barked and snarled while the little terrier snuk up from behind, jumped and grabbed a nip of flesh behind my knee... I thought I got struck by lightening!!!

I had a weiner dog barking at me while off the leash. I wasn't worried at first, but then the dogs 10 yr old owner started chasing it around me, almost running into me while standing there with the md snuggly at my side. I enjoy my personal space, and was very close to asking her to grab the leash and stop chasing the dog near me, as if it were cute.

The only other time I have had a problem with a dog was once at a park when a guy on a bike came thundering through with his lab 200 ft in front of him. The lab ended up pile driving into my dad, who was wearing headphones while digging a hole. He never saw it coming, but it was funny as heck to watch.:)

When I lived in San FranDon'tCallitFrisco I had Delsie, my Guide Dog. The next door neighbors had a HUGE Rottweiler and they thought it was hysterical to sic their dog on mine as I passed. They had a six foot chain link fence, so the dog could not GET to us, but what a joke it was to have their dog snarling and barking, slavering to get its jaws into my girl's neck. Delsie, a sweet gentle tempered Golden Retriever was terrified!

After the second time they pulled that stunt, laughing like hyenaes, I put Delsie in the house and went back over. They were still in the yard.

"I just thought that you would like to know that interfering with, or threatening a service dog and handler is an automatic $1000 fine in the City. For EACH offense. Not to mention that it costs $50,000 to breed, raise, train and equip a Guide Dog. That's quite an investment. Our school in San Rafael is a several-hundred-million dollar endowment and a TEAM of attorneys on retainer. They aggressively pursue *all* cases of harassment and if I were to take this to court, they would be quite happy to take your house, your yard, your car, your clothes, your bank accounts AND your little dog, too. Care to take this to the next level? Oh, and my partner is recording this from our apartment window. Have a nice day."

They kept their dog indoors from then on!

SageGrouse

First thing that comes to my mind is why? Why would someone bury their pet in a public park? If you dug that size hole and got something out of it, covered it, made it look like you'd never been there, what do you think they'd say if "found" while doing it? Crazy. So it's ok to dig a hole and bury a dog in a public place, but don't be uncovering no dimes.... or pennies, hear me?:roll: Ruining our beautiful parks digging coins. Here, let me lay this disgusting rotting body of my beloved pet here for a while. Mark it with a stone. It'll be ok. :D

what I would do, I've already been attacked by a dog that was unchained, and get this, it was a dog that belong to a police officer and his wife, after that the wife always told the dog to "get him boy!" when I walked by the house. After that experience any dog comes at me, good chance its either going to die or be severely injured and a nice pointy Lesche should do the trick! Sharp or not, with enough force behind it flesh will give and the tool will win.

Sounds like time to video the wife doing her finest without her knowing it.
Post on YouTube with pertinent info. ;)

I was out the other evening at a local park and ran into a very sweet burial site for someone's pet dog. It had a tiny tomb stone and everything with a very sweet dedication. It was right under a very old mulberry tree. I respectfully moved away from the tree and hunted elsewhere.

As I was busy digging what I was sure to be a silver coin, I heard someone yell: "no Buddy!", or mabye it was "No, Rudy!", or maybe "No! Satan!", I've forgotten because when i looked up I saw a very large, very muscular pit bull and a very large, very muscular boxer charging at me with their itty beady eyes full of murderous intent.

I don't care what kind of a bad a** you think you are, when you see what I saw you think of only one thing: quick escape. Unfortunately, by the time I even stood up, the two dogs were upon me...licking, smelling, and otherwise wagging their tails in goofy friendliness. Then they proceeded to inspect the hole I was digging and finding it lacking I am sure, they returned to their owner.

By that time, Bella, the third dog finally arrived. She was a small mop of a dog and more ferocious than her two brothers but by then, I had already been scared witless and Bella just didn't impress me.

I could have lectured the old man for having unleashed dogs in the city park but truly, I was just happy to be alive.

Perhaps you missed a excellent opportunity to recruit two or three digging buddies with very beneficial talents....the willingness and ability to dig. Doing tot lots is a lot like that except it is kids mobbing me and offering to dig for me. It gets a little bothersome when they all insist on looking in the hole for the penny at the same time. Lots of fun though.

Caressing Mother Earth in such a way she gladly gives up her hidden treasures.

AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, PX Digger

When I lived in San FranDon'tCallitFrisco I had Delsie, my Guide Dog. The next door neighbors had a HUGE Rottweiler and they thought it was hysterical to sic their dog on mine as I passed. They had a six foot chain link fence, so the dog could not GET to us, but what a joke it was to have their dog snarling and barking, slavering to get its jaws into my girl's neck. Delsie, a sweet gentle tempered Golden Retriever was terrified!

After the second time they pulled that stunt, laughing like hyenaes, I put Delsie in the house and went back over. They were still in the yard.

"I just thought that you would like to know that interfering with, or threatening a service dog and handler is an automatic $1000 fine in the City. For EACH offense. Not to mention that it costs $50,000 to breed, raise, train and equip a Guide Dog. That's quite an investment. Our school in San Rafael is a several-hundred-million dollar endowment and a TEAM of attorneys on retainer. They aggressively pursue *all* cases of harassment and if I were to take this to court, they would be quite happy to take your house, your yard, your car, your clothes, your bank accounts AND your little dog, too. Care to take this to the next level? Oh, and my partner is recording this from our apartment window. Have a nice day."

They kept their dog indoors from then on!

SageGrouse

$50,000.00 for a guide dog? Are you hiring?

$50,000.00 for a guide dog? Are you hiring?

I'm not, but yes, to create the human-dog team you see effortlessly negotiating a crowded street, or walking on stores, takes a LOT of time, training, effort, money and love.

In the early years, dog guide schools, such as The Seeing Eye in Morristown NJ and Guide Dogs For The Blind in San Rafael CA depended on donated dogs. This was a hassle, and the success rate was iffy at best. You might get one or two competent guides out of every six puppies. That is why they stuck mainly to German Shepherds. GSDs have a high 'work ethic' and make excellent guide dogs BUT they are often overprotective and driven.

When the schools decided to try breeding their own dogs, they found the success rate improved dramatically. Now nearly all dog guide schools have a breeding program.

Dogs are observed for temperament, work ethic, body sensitivity, aggressiveness, fear, health and other things and the best of the best are saved for producing puppies. Within the last 20 years, some schools, like Guide Dogs for the Blind in San Rafael and Boring Oregon have been experimenting with cross-breeding Golden Retrievers and Labrador Retrievers and have been getting over 60 to 70% successes.

But all this costs money. To maintain genetics research, provide homes for dogs in the breeding program (they are trained as guides, but not given out), provide veterinary care for the dogs and the puppies, test and train, pay for the spaying, neutering and housing of the dogs on campus, which are selected, THEN pay for the housing, training and support of the humans who come to receive dogs (most are free of charge. The Seeing Eye requires that you purchase the dog at a nominal fee) and then provide supplemental training, legal assistance and support and sometimes even financial assistance for the graduated team and pretty soon you're talking real money. :D

The prospective guide dog handler applies to the school, is interviewed, then taken on a "Juno Walk" with a trainer holding the harness handle (dog's role) and seeing how fast or slow and with what ease or difficulty they walk, etc. The prospective student is taught the basic commands (which will be re-taught later) 'Juno Forward!' 'Halt!' 'Steady.' 'Juno, Left!' 'Juno Right!' 'Leave It!' 'Hop up!' and 'Show me!'

The prospective handler needs to have a certain level of physical ability (although they do train dogs individually for specific disabilities accompanying a blind person) and mental and emotional capacity to handle a dog.

After the "Juno Walk" is completed (called that because the fictitious name for the generic dog is Juno) the student is asked to provide a physical exam report to the school. Once the person is accepted, they are given a class date and expected (except for one or two schools) to remain in residence at the school during their training period, which is generally one month.

Of course some dogs "wash out" during *their* training and are career-changed. If a dog is fearful under stress conditions, they don't make the grade. Puppies are tested for their reactions to gunfire, loud noises, screeching tires, wind, rain, thunder, aggressive dogs, angry people and body sensitivity. Body sensitivity means, if you pinch a paw or tail, or squeeze a ribcage, does the dog flinch or back away, yelp or try to bite?

Puppies are trained to walk on all surfaces, sand, gravel, concrete, grass, rubber matting, boardwalks, stairs (open and closed) escalators (NEVER a good idea!) elevators and even gratings. They are trained to avoid cars, halt at obstacles, signal what KIND of obstacle it is (overhead? dropoff? Wall? Car in the way? The dog will signal you) and how to maneuver in traffic, both human and automobile. They are taught the difficult concept of "Intelligent disobedience". That is, the human says "Juno Forward!" and the dog sees a truck coming into the intersection. The dog must learn, despite the command, to disobey and stay on the curb EVEN if leash corrected for disobeying! If the human steps forward against the dog's refusal, the dog must then turn into the handler, blocking him or her with the dog's body. We were taught that when a dog refused a command, we were to ask once more, THEN PRAISE abundantly, so as to avoid extinction of the training. After all... the dog probably just then, saved our LIFE!

Humans and dogs are temperament-assessed and matched according to size, gait, temperament and strength. I was given a "soft dog" because I was able to correct behaviors GENTLY and was low-key on discipline. Delsie was sensitive and even a mild reprimand made her wilt in misery. She needed a human who would emotionally support her, just as I needed a dog who was not driven or aggressive.

The first week of training is the most anxious. Nobody has gotten a dog yet. That comes after six or seven days of staff evaluation, harness training, teaching of commands and postures. The dogs have already undergone six months of their own training! WE are their "final exam" The dogs and students are matched, and then follows three weeks of mobility training, traffic training, city and country walks, training in how to feed, groom, harness, unharness, care for and handle the dogs. For the "final" each dog-handler team is taken to a location and dropped off. They are expected to make it back to the school on their own (covertly watched by instructors) using mobility skills, asking directions, crossing streets, counting blocks, driveways, landmarks etc.

The success rate, when you think of what is asked of the dog, is phenomenal! To provide a dog that is good in the hoime, the puppies, after being whelped at the school, are raised by volunteers, usually kids in 4-H programs, then given to the school for training. "career change" dogs are offered back to their puppy raisers.

So yeah... it runs into serious change and schools are hard-pressed to support it all. Fortunately, the schools, as charities are "sexy" and people give a LOT to them. While some schools are relatively poor, some, like The seeing Eye and Guide Dogs for the Blind, are powerhouses, graduating 20 or 30 students every other month.

Next time you see a blind person confidently walking down the street, his or her dog moving forward with grace, agility and speed, know that you are watching thousands of dollars, months of hard work and a whole lot of love in motion! Guide dogs are "The Cadillac of mobility". We are the few, the proud, the chosen. :D

SageGrouse

Great post!

SageGrouse,
I had never heard the story from someone who had been through the program. I seem to remember seeing a film in grade school about "Seeing Eye Dogs", but you certainly refreshed my memory and increased my awareness.
Thanks,
John Morton

SageGrouse,
I had never heard the story from someone who had been through the program. I seem to remember seeing a film in grade school about "Seeing Eye Dogs", but you certainly refreshed my memory and increased my awareness.
Thanks,
John Morton

same here! :yes:
some great info Sage, thanks for posting.

Pete

attack kids

Almost as scary as a bunch of small kids attacking you wanting what ever you dig up.

First thing that comes to my mind is why? Why would someone bury their pet in a public park? If you dug that size hole and got something out of it, covered it, made it look like you'd never been there, what do you think they'd say if "found" while doing it? Crazy. So it's ok to dig a hole and bury a dog in a public place, but don't be uncovering no dimes.... or pennies, hear me?:roll: Ruining our beautiful parks digging coins. Here, let me lay this disgusting rotting body of my beloved pet here for a while. Mark it with a stone. It'll be ok. :D

Maybe it was the dogs favorite park to run around and play at. Personally I have no problem with someone burying their dog at a park...assuming it's in the woods or somewhere that doesn't do damage.

When it comes to encountering dogs I've never had a problem. As soon as I see one I say "What's up puppy!" in an excited voice and give my hand for a sniff. It's worked every time. If a dog can sense the fear on you I think they will be more nervous about you. BTW, I've known a few people with pit bulls over the years and I've never had a problem with them either. That being said, I never forget the potential harm their capable of inflicting. I get the sense from them that they don't realize just how big and strong they are. They'll jump on you to play not thinking they are bigger and stronger than you. Nice dogs in my experience.

Maybe they didn't actually bury him there. It might just have been his favorite place to hang out. :(

And I leash my dog when out in public areas. If it wasn't specifically a dog park where dogs are allowed to run free then idiot should have had dogs leashed.

Back
Top Bottom