Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Help To ID My Finds

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-16-2007, 11:39 PM
TNCSHOOTER's Avatar
TNCSHOOTER TNCSHOOTER is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lyles, TN
Posts: 156
Default Coin of unknown origin?

What kind of coin, what kind of metal, any value other than it's an old coin? I have no Idea. It's nearly the size of a US half dollar. Any help appretiated.
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 07-17-2007, 12:24 AM
MDMike's Avatar
MDMike MDMike is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 436
Default

Dannish maybe? Though I'm not coming up with much yet but I'm looking.

__________________
Whites DF. 2013 ytd

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 AM
DougF's Avatar
DougF DougF is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,738
Default

I think Norwegian, but can't find exact match online.

__________________
Explorer SE Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer. Best finds - 1903 Barber half, 1877 and 1878 seated qtrs., 1920, 1946 WL halves, 1925, 1926 SLQs, 1800 large cent, 1809 half cent.

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 07-17-2007, 08:20 AM
SteveMN's Avatar
SteveMN SteveMN is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,239
Default

Looks like an ID for Voriax!
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 07-17-2007, 09:56 AM
MDMike's Avatar
MDMike MDMike is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 436
Default

Originally Posted by DougF View post
I think Norwegian, but can't find exact match online.

I think you are right. I've found some Norwegian coins with some of the same markings but not an exact match, yet.

__________________
Whites DF. 2013 ytd

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 07-17-2007, 10:26 AM
HEM's Avatar
HEM HEM is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MAURITIUS ISLAND
Posts: 529
Default

Congratulation
You got yourself a nice silver Danish coin, here is the link
enjoy
http://www.espd.com/oxhill/Artifacts...1764Danish.htm

__________________
Tesoro Cibola,Excalibur 2 and Beach Hunter ID and home made tools

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 AM
MDMike's Avatar
MDMike MDMike is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 436
Default

!!!!, I was so close to being cool and getting that one.

__________________
Whites DF. 2013 ytd

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 07-17-2007, 12:37 PM
FXDiz's Avatar
FXDiz FXDiz is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fleming Island FL (formerly called Hibernia)
Posts: 2,702
Default

Originally Posted by HEM View post
Congratulation
You got yourself a nice silver Danish coin, here is the link
enjoy
http://www.espd.com/oxhill/Artifacts...1764Danish.htm
What a find!!! WTG!!!
HEM here is a coin I detected in Diego Garcia about 10 years ago. Thought you might be interested in seeing it.
Attached Images
  

__________________
Whites V3i & Garrett ATPro (His) Garrett Ace 250 (Hers) Fisher F2 (mom's) Garrett Treasure Ace 100 **Vincit qui patitur**

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 07-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Voriax's Avatar
Voriax Voriax is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lappeenranta, Finland
Posts: 4,106
Default

Originally Posted by SteveMN View post
Looks like an ID for Voriax!
Thanks for the vote of confidence Too bad I'm so busy with work that I have no time to id nor detect. :sniff:

Voriax
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 07-17-2007, 01:35 PM
HEM's Avatar
HEM HEM is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MAURITIUS ISLAND
Posts: 529
Default

Originally Posted by FXDiz View post
What a find!!! WTG!!!
HEM here is a coin I detected in Diego Garcia about 10 years ago. Thought you might be interested in seeing it.
Yep its a Mauritian 10 cents (the 1947 is rare) So you have been working in the U.S Military base of Diego, nice place to stay , should not forgot that all the Islands found in the Indian Ocean have been nest of pirates. I don't think that after you there are more people Mding in Diego now.
Attached Images
 

__________________
Tesoro Cibola,Excalibur 2 and Beach Hunter ID and home made tools

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 07-17-2007, 01:42 PM
FXDiz's Avatar
FXDiz FXDiz is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fleming Island FL (formerly called Hibernia)
Posts: 2,702
Default

Originally Posted by HEM View post
Yep its a Mauritian 10 cents (the 1947 is rare) So you have been working in the U.S Military base of Diego, nice place to stay , should not forgot that all the Islands found in the Indian Ocean have been nest of pirates. I don't think that after you there are more people Mding in Diego now.
When I was there I had the only one on the Island, but the Brits wouldn't let me detect. BIOT (British Indian Ocean Territory) Police were pretty strict about it. Even ROPO One (the top cop) who was a friend was strict. I got the coin before i knew you couldn't hunt the Island without their permission and anything I found was property of the Queen, so I didn't use it often. I would have loved to get it out there more though.

__________________
Whites V3i & Garrett ATPro (His) Garrett Ace 250 (Hers) Fisher F2 (mom's) Garrett Treasure Ace 100 **Vincit qui patitur**

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 07-17-2007, 01:58 PM
HEM's Avatar
HEM HEM is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MAURITIUS ISLAND
Posts: 529
Default

Originally Posted by FXDiz View post
When I was there I had the only one on the Island, but the Brits wouldn't let me detect. BIOT (British Indian Ocean Territory) Police were pretty strict about it. Even ROPO One (the top cop) who was a friend was strict. I got the coin before i knew you couldn't hunt the Island without their permission and anything I found was property of the Queen, so I didn't use it often. I would have loved to get it out there more though.
This mean that you were the only one to have MD there and you were very lucky, Gods knows what you could have found there if they let you MD . It is suprising to see that there are still LOTS of potential places where someone can MD.
The latest news, is that Diego will be return back to there Islanders. This is being debated at the British Court of laws. It seems to be very positive for the Islanders...

__________________
Tesoro Cibola,Excalibur 2 and Beach Hunter ID and home made tools

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 07-17-2007, 02:04 PM
FXDiz's Avatar
FXDiz FXDiz is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fleming Island FL (formerly called Hibernia)
Posts: 2,702
Default

Originally Posted by HEM View post
This mean that you were the only one to have MD there and you were very lucky, Gods knows what you could have found there if they let you MD . It is suprising to see that there are still LOTS of potential places where someone can MD.
The latest news, is that Diego will be return back to there Islanders. This is being debated at the British Court of laws. It seems to be very positive for the Islanders...
Yes, I was the only one with a metal detector. Best of luck with the British Courts. The Island is absolutely beautiful and a nice palce to stay, as you said.

Sorry TNC SHOOTER, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

__________________
Whites V3i & Garrett ATPro (His) Garrett Ace 250 (Hers) Fisher F2 (mom's) Garrett Treasure Ace 100 **Vincit qui patitur**

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1741 Coin of unknown origin... Ace_Digger Help To ID My Finds 78 07-07-2016 10:21 PM
Unknown coin aloldstuff Help To ID My Finds 17 07-12-2012 08:14 AM
Eagle Button Of Unknown Origin At Cellar Hole? rcptuna War Relic Hunting 12 11-06-2011 07:26 AM
Another unknown coin Blueonceagain Help To ID My Finds 13 11-26-2010 10:20 PM
A coin (of unknown origin) MineSeeker Help To ID My Finds 5 05-18-2007 04:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.