Eurotek Pro or Tesoro Mojave or Silver uMax... or?

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
I asked a little bit ago on advice on buying a Eurotek Pro with the 11" DD coil... I've heard good things about this detector. But...

I like the idea of the DD coil, and multi tones for some reason. The price is nice from Jeff at Quality Metal Detectors.

Then Tesoro announced the Mojave. Nice looking detector, changeable coils, same highish 12kHs as the Compadre. Sensitivity and hi mineralization setting...made in USA with lifetime warranty.... plus I've been running my two Compadres for 3 or so years now, and they've found 14 golds.

Sometimes I think it would be cool to:

• have multiple tones i.e. Tone for low conductors and a different tone for high conductors (like my old Bounty Hunter Prospector that I cut me teeth on back in '13)

• 11" DD coil :lol:

• screen with depth reading

The negative, maybe a positive?, would be having to learn what items fall where on the vdi or is it a tdi?

My worries about the Eurotek Pro;

• low 7.81kHz - will I miss gold my Compadre or the Mojave will find?

• 5 year warranty vs Tesoro's lifetime warranty

Other thoughts:

I hunt salt beaches maybe 2-4 times a year, so part of me wants to find a used Explorer II FBS unit... or a Sov. It would work in dirt and salt which is nice for those few times...

Mojave, maybe the hi/lol mineralization setting would help in areas with black sand like some Tahoe beaches and river gold searches?

My other thought is: the Mojave seems cool, like it, but why not spring $30 more for the Silver uMax? I could also always buy the $139 list price 11x8 coil for either...

Do I even really need a new detector? I like my Compadres a lot. Guess I just feel like I should give some screen detector a try. I stocked up on 5.56 but could use a bit more 9mm... but dang it, I use my detectors a lot, so a new one would get used for sure.

Guess I'm just thinking aloud on the forum and would appreciate any knowledge or thoughts y'all might have!

Thanks!

That eurotek is 3 things..Light ,fast and fun.Gets a respectable 7 inches in depth,deeper maybe with right coil.Lightmimg fast and the Id is really good.Real sleeper machine..Iron audio,depth pinpoint readout,just a lot to it

Euro tek pro

I would go with the ETP, why ID screen, large numbers', iron volume control, get the 11 dd, you will be happy , just put a screen detector over the display, when you get it, scratches easy Earl Meyer's Detector's might just have a pristine ETP with a 11dd coil, the cherry one i traded in, Earl http://www.myersdepot.com/

Thanks for the thoughts folks, appreciated.

I need some time to watch some Eurotek videos.

If I could find a nice used Explorer or similar fbs - I'm afraid the price tag would be too rich for me otherwise that'd be my first choice.

I do kinda feel the Mojave may not offer much over my Compadre, and that the Silver would be better option, with a 8x11 coil but a lot more money....

I'm pretty happy with my Compadre so makes the choice more difficult but I spend a good deal of what little free time I have detecting so like the idea of something different to change between.

Do yourself a favor and look at the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. It's the same money as a Euro tek pro with the 11" coil but it brings ground balancing into the equation. I think the Euro tek pro is the best option of what you mentioned though but you really need to pick up a machine with ground balancing capability, even if it's used.

Nothing gained by switching to a Silver Umax over the Compadre or Mojave.
i don't think the Silver was a good seller overall. The Mojave should be just as deep as the Silver. The Mojave has 180 disc over Silvers 120. They are both disc. motion detectors. Silver does not have a true all metal mode. All metal mode is just a lower disc setting accepting more iron.

For the money I would look at the ETP and do look at the Land Ranger Pro.
Ground balance can be a very good thing. I never leave home with out it.

I agree with Bibelot.

The LRP is an ETP on steroids. Tons more options, and the ground balance alone is a big advantage. More and more videos are showing up online to help out. The price is amazing for the options you get.

Compare the features, of each of the detectors, and go with what you feel works best for your situation.

Happy hunting!

I agree with Bibelot.

The LRP is an ETP on steroids. Tons more options, and the ground balance alone is a big advantage. More and more videos are showing up online to help out. The price is amazing for the options you get.

Compare the features, of each of the detectors, and go with what you feel works best for your situation.

Happy hunting!

I agree. But the ETP has faster recovery, better unmasking, and far better nickel ID.

Ifor you good with a Tesoro, I'd go with the Mojave. That 7" coil is no joke. I had one to test and in my ground I could crank the sensitivity up with it it in low ground and not chatter. Far better than the Silver in my opinion.

All good suggestions.

I think one of the best machines I hunted along side was a T2. I had a heck of time keeping with a friends ring count. The T2 was on sale and may be out of your price range. The F44 may also be a good choice. Just putting it out there.

Thanks for all the input, greatly appreciated.

I do like that land ranger pros screen, lots of detail on there.

Hopefully this weekend I can watch some videos and read some reviews.

I just think the ground balance is the way to go. I started with fixed ground balance machines and now I know the difference of having it.Like Rawhide, said, I love my T2 classic but it might be out of your price range.

Hanks everyone greatly appreciated.

I do like the land ranger pro's screen detail, tries to tell you a lot compared to the Eurotek, I especially like the top leds that give you an idea of what the target might be.

I know my Compadre finds gold so hard to try something else but can't hurt to try out a screen detector....

Attachments

• IMG_8743.jpg
    IMG_8743.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,322
  • IMG_8745.jpg
    IMG_8745.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,324
Hanks everyone greatly appreciated.

I do like the land ranger pro's screen detail, tries to tell you a lot compared to the Eurotek, I especially like the top leds that give you an idea of what the target might be.

I know my Compadre finds gold so hard to try something else but can't hurt to try out a screen detector....

The Compadre is relatively a shallow runner. Digger posted 6" depth after the sensitivity was tweaked which I believe is correct. I seen instances where 6 1/2" dimes were dug with my 8" coil version but that is more of a few isolated occurrence finds rather than the norm. Each machine will have a strength so to speak. Of something it does well compared to another brands or machines within the same brand. Find out what they do well and use that to your advantage. I hope this helps. The eurotek pro is no slouch, it is a solid performer. I just think it would be advantageous to have ground balance capability. Proper ground balance should add a bit more depth and hopefully provide more positive id on targets.

I agree. But the ETP has faster recovery, better unmasking, and far better nickel ID.

I'm going to agree, disagree, and say maybe. I may have a career in politics!

We've compared real targets, and don't find any useful difference in the recovery/speed or target unmasking, between the two. Yes, there may be a slight advantage in recovery speed for the ETP, but to see it you have to use a swing speed that would rival a Rafael Nadal forehand swing speed. However, using a "normal" swing speed while hunting, you won't notice a difference. The only way we have seen an advantage for either detector is when a coil type better matched the hunting situation. Since you can swap coils, the "winner" changes depending on which coil is used. I don't do videos, but The Hunter GT's site has a good video dealing with exactly that, with the LRP and ETP both tested.

As far as nickels, I've heard the same thing, but have never compared the two. They do tend to be a little jumpy on the LRP.

I would definitely go with the LRP. Plus, when you choose a ETP with a DD, the LRP is actually cheaper, with so many more options.

Back
Top Bottom