• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Need some input

LSUThunder

I'm currently in the market for a weather proof detector. I mainly hunt parks and old homesteads. Living in Louisiana the weather changes by the hour and I've spent too much time on the sideline when it's raining with my Ace 400. My budget is around $750 or so. I had two in mind the AT Pro and the White's MX Sport. Looking for some input on something I may have missed or input on the two machines I've been looking at. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Well... my detector only cost me $158, but I just put a thick ziplock bag over the unit and rubber band it, never had a problem in torrential rains so far. I also took a second Compadre and put the control box in a waterproof case, that was fun. :)

Seems like an AT Pro would do you well too. Good luck and happy hunting. Rain hunting is almost my favorite hunting!

I'd go at pro, and with some cash left over maybe that 5x8 coil.I love my white's detectors don't get me wrong but the at pro is proven over the yrs and the sport........ Just my humble opinion. Btw, in your town this weekend, Ken Cole classic wrestling tournament 😁

I put a plastic bag over my ace 250 and rubber band.
Or get Atpro. However the stock headphones are not waterproof.
You need to use headphones with it,the speaker is too quiet.

I'd go at pro, and with some cash left over maybe that 5x8 coil.I love my white's detectors don't get me wrong but the at pro is proven over the yrs and the sport........ Just my humble opinion. Btw, in your town this weekend, Ken Cole classic wrestling tournament 😁
That was the route I was leaning towards. I have the 5x8 on my 400 and love that coil.

AT Pro. We have the same issues next door here in Texas. I've had to sit out hunting waiting for a short shower to pass and it's annoying. Now I can keep hunting right through it, that was the main reason I bought the AT. You already have one Garrett, so not much learning curve either. It may not seem like much of an upgrade since the 400 is one notch below the AT, but Pro mode will keep you interested for quite awhile. It's not a little better detector, it's a whole new class than the Ace series.

For cheaper weatherproof detectors, White's has Treasure Master & Treasure Master Pro.
Fisher offers F22 & F44. But since you have $700 budget, Garrett AT Pro & White's MX Sport would be better choices.

So, I have an ATPRO, and never used the Whites MX series. But maybe this might be an option to expand your horizons and try the Whites line. The bad news is the learning curve will be a tad more difficult than jumping from the 400 to the ATPRO, but it might be worth it for yourself in the long run.

Thank you all for the info, I think I'm going to go with the AT Pro and a 5x8 coil.

I have both machines and they both are excellent machines. The A T Pro has found me a lot of silver and was quite easy to learn. The XM sport is a lot deeper machine than the Pro. It does seem to give a lot of false signals in my book even with the sensitivities down on three. However I did put a small coil on it and it's not as noticeable. The ground in my area is mild and I have 5 other detectors run them wide-open and they all work fine no false signals.

Last edited:
I am a White's guy; for disclosure purposes... (I don't work for them, but have used their products for years).

I really like the AT Pro and the AT Gold. They are amazing machines for for the cost. You can't really squeeze more value per dollar out of any other machine.

If you plan on doing salt water beaches, you will want to go with the MXS. The AT Pro/Gold don't mix well with the wet sand of salt water beaches.

Now, if you do not plan to hunt salt water beaches, I would probably go with the AT Pro. (I would get the AT Gold, but, that is my preference).

Why pay extra for functionality you will never use?

An extra consideration - White's has the best customer service in the business.

Back in the early 90's I bought my first water-proof metal detector for the same reason...too much rain for days and weeks never ending :( Ha!

I am a White's guy; for disclosure purposes... (I don't work for them, but have used their products for years).

I really like the AT Pro and the AT Gold. They are amazing machines for for the cost. You can't really squeeze more value per dollar out of any other machine.

If you plan on doing salt water beaches, you will want to go with the MXS. The AT Pro/Gold don't mix well with the wet sand of salt water beaches.

Now, if you do not plan to hunt salt water beaches, I would probably go with the AT Pro. (I would get the AT Gold, but, that is my preference).

Why pay extra for functionality you will never use?

An extra consideration - White's has the best customer service in the business.

Great write up BCK...For a mid level spend, ATP just flat perform infield...I've been waiting and watching for a "Pro Killer" to come out....I'd like a full tone rig, and one that is thoughtfully designed to eliminate the flaws of the Pro and take it up a notch in performance if possible...I took a good hard look at that Whites MX myself...Still working the Pro for now...
Mud

Ok, I'm confused. Is the weatherproof cover that came with the Ace not weatherproof? I've used it in some pretty serious downpours and have gotten quite a bit of mud caked on the clear plastic, it even went underneath and built up around the lower buttons once or twice. Haven't seen any adverse affect on the machine. Should I be foregoing the cover and just wrapping it in a bit of saran wrap for the rain?

Ok, I'm confused. Is the weatherproof cover that came with the Ace not weatherproof? I've used it in some pretty serious downpours and have gotten quite a bit of mud caked on the clear plastic, it even went underneath and built up around the lower buttons once or twice. Haven't seen any adverse affect on the machine. Should I be foregoing the cover and just wrapping it in a bit of saran wrap for the rain?

The "weatherproof" cover that came with yours was probably part of a bundled deal. Many people just buy the detector without all the extra stuff because it's a little cheaper and the really won't use/don't want the extra bundled goodies if they already have some mding gear.

A waterproof detector is added insurance against severe weather. Your detector is either waterproof or not, and if it fries because moisture from rain gets in or accumulates inside, you're SOL.

The "weatherproof" cover that came with yours was probably part of a bundled deal. Many people just buy the detector without all the extra stuff because it's a little cheaper and the really won't use/don't want the extra bundled goodies if they already have some mding gear.

A waterproof detector is added insurance against severe weather. Your detector is either waterproof or not, and if it fries because moisture from rain gets in or accumulates inside, you're SOL.

Base model, no extras. They come with headphones, a coil cover and the little rain hat.

Back
Top Bottom