Thought I needed a new TV

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
For the past couple weeks, my TV would make a popping sound and the pic would go blank, sometimes the audio would "skip"....like listening to a rap record :lol: This happened to coincide with a lightning strike what took out a couple power supplies on some security cameras. So I was getting ready to write it off as junk.

Last night it quit all together. As luck would have it, when family came for a visit over July 4th, my brother brought me his "old" TV because he bought a new/larger one. The one he brought me is close to 50", and probably newer than the one I have. :cool:

If you saw my thread on the bus, this would be the TV above the drivers area. Anyway, I built an enclosure for it while building the bus, so I didn't have to remove it or worry about it falling on me while on the road. So, I dismantled the cabinet last night, since the replacement TV was much larger, but would fit in the wall space with some grease, a shoehorn, and a hammer :lol:

I took the old TV out to the shed, and whilst having coffee and a smoke, pulled the back cover off it, and saw 8 years worth of dust collected inside on 2 circuit boards. So I fired-up the air compressor, blew the dust out, and I'm watching it right now ;)

Now I just have to wonder what type of catastrophe will befall me in its place :laughing:

A heavy coat of dust on circuit boards can cause problems, very smart of you to clear it off and rechecking if it worked better instead of just automatically trashing it :thumbsup:

Another thing some people might not consider when reception is not up to par and that is a coax or HDMI cable going bad or even a connection that is too loose and needs tightened or reseated.

Time to cut the cord!

Doc cut it over 60 years ago ;

Have you seen any of the a Final Destination movies?

No good can come from this.

If it hasn't shown at the movies years ago, and isn't currently available on the $5 DVD rack at SprawlMart....I haven't seen it.

A heavy coat of dust on circuit boards can cause problems, very smart of you to clear it off and rechecking if it worked better instead of just automatically trashing it :thumbsup:

Another thing some people might not consider when reception is not up to par and that is a coax or HDMI cable going bad or even a connection that is too loose and needs tightened or reseated.

Well, my victory was short-lived :( It's currently out again, but at least it didn't make the popping noise this time.....wait, now I feel kinda cheated :lol:

Not gonna fool with it again, it can hit the trash, and the big TV will co in this weekend.

Doc cut it over 60 years ago ;

If it hasn't shown at the movies years ago, and isn't currently available on the $5 DVD rack at SprawlMart....I haven't seen it.

Well, my victory was short-lived :( It's currently out again, but at least it didn't make the popping noise this time.....wait, now I feel kinda cheated :lol:

Not gonna fool with it again, it can hit the trash, and the big TV will co in this weekend.

I might consider saving the circuit boards, get enough old circuit boards and there is a way to extract the gold from them, or sell them to someone who does. (haven't tried it myself, but I have saved old circuit boards from old computers for years)

I might consider saving the circuit boards, get enough old circuit boards and there is a way to extract the gold from them, or sell them to someone who does. (haven't tried it myself, but I have saved old circuit boards from old computers for years)

This involves acids and neutralizers, with the associated toxic waste that may prove difficult to get rid of. I suggest you "bite the bullet" and throw them out, resisting the urge to try to recover the small amounts of gold on the contacts and terminal pins.

Roger

This involves acids and neutralizers, with the associated toxic waste that may prove difficult to get rid of. I suggest you "bite the bullet" and throw them out, resisting the urge to try to recover the small amounts of gold on the contacts and terminal pins.

Roger

I saw youtube videos of it being done and the chemicals required is why I have been reluctant to try it myself.

But again, there maybe are regular places that do that who will buy old circuit boards, of course you might need to have quite a few saved up to sell to make it worthwhile.

I got my current TV out of the dumpster at work. I worked in a Pawn Shop and my boss said a guy brought it in to pawn but couldn't get it to work. I guess he threw it in the dumpster as he left. My boss said that i could have it so I took it home. The remote was with it and it even had the batteries still in it. I played with the remote and got it to working. that was over four years ago. I haven't had any problems with it other than when they installed a new cable box for their new digital system I have to use two remotes. The original to turn it on and for volume and their new remote to change channels. It was free and has a better picture than my old television.
TV.JPG

Back
Top Bottom