Knife style digger vs shovel on lawns

I have found that making a clean plug means keeping you digger or shovel sharp. I carry this in my trunk and make a couple of strokes on my diggers every now an then. It makes a big difference.
Sharpener.jpg

So...what does stomping the blade into dirt and gravel do for them?

The dirt and rocks are softer than the carbide pieces you're using to scrape across your blade to sharpen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#1- It's not mine.....

#2- We're not talking knives here, we're talking trowels and shovels which are constantly dulled by the abrasiveness of dirt and rock.

See the difference? ;)

Firstly, I did not realize it wasn't yours. Sorry.

Secondly, I don't see the difference. Those types of sharpeners will still strip material away from the blade of the shovel or hand digger, speeding up the rate of degradation.

Firstly, I did not realize it wasn't yours. Sorry.

Secondly, I don't see the difference. Those types of sharpeners will still strip material away from the blade of the shovel or hand digger, speeding up the rate of degradation.

To repeat myself....LOL.

You have to put a micro edge on all your cutting tools to keep a sharp edge longer. I do this on my knives, diggers and shovels. Do not leave a thin cutting edge that has little metal behind it. I file mine at the original angle and once sharp I put a micro edge on it from both sides. I do this on lawnmower blades as well.

Attachments

• micro.jpg
    micro.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 145
Yikes! Those things are notorious for eating up the steel of a blade!

I know that. i don't use it on my fine knives. My digger and shovel are thick enough to stand a couple of strokes every now and then and still last for years. it beats having to bring them inside and set up my belt sander every time they start getting dull. I collect knives and know how to sharpen them but i don't dig with them.

For what it's worth, I use a regular Lesche hand digger regularly; it is with me on all hunts. I will use it often, for shallower digs, and exclusively, when hunting certain sites.

HOWEVER, the below picture shows my digger of choice. I can cut a perfectly round plug -- and either cut on three sides and "flap" it over, OR, cut all four sides and completely remove a round plug -- to be replaced perfectly after the dig. How wet or dry the soil is, what type of soil you are digging (sandy, or clay, or in between, etc.) all are considerations, but I find that the plugs I can dig with this shovel -- especially in damp, clay-type soil -- allow for the best hole repair, with almost no sign that I was there. Think golf course putting green...what do greenskeepers do when moving the hole on the green? They use a tool that cuts a round plug, which they remove and then replace into the location of the prior hole. That's what I try to keep in mind when hunting, and this shovel allows me to accomplish that.

bf2d86_cb9e3b4013324f16a3f9907ce4c00a17.jpg

I understand the idea of "optics," and how things might "look" to some people when they see you with a big shovel and imagine you leaving "craters." For that reason, there are places I don't bring a shovel and go "hand digger only." However, using the "greenskeeper/putting green" example, combined with demonstrating my technique, will often satisfy most people who might question you...

Steve

I understand the idea of "optics," and how things might "look" to some people when they see you with a big shovel and imagine you leaving "craters." For that reason, there are places I don't bring a shovel and go "hand digger only." However, using the "greenskeeper/putting green" example, combined with demonstrating my technique, will often satisfy most people who might question you...

Steve

The irony of the "no shovel" argument for me is the fact that my shovel cut plugs are nicer than my Lesche cut plugs. Much cleaner edges and IMHO a far better tool for the job. Having said that, I still don't tote the shovel into my city park but thinking it over I'm not sure why... Maybe if I give it a camo coat of paints nobody will see it anyhow... :shifty: :sneaking: :shifty: :lol:

BBsGal --

LOL! I think the camo paint might do the trick, for you! :)

Seriously, the good thing about this thread is that people are seriously concerned about how "nice" of a plug they can cut, and debating how best to do it. I don't think most people who think of metal detectorists imagine them talking online amongst themselves about how to cut the cleanest/neatest plugs so as to leave as little of a trace as possible that they ever retrieved a target...

Whether you carry a shovel, a hand digger, or a "coin popper," I think once most objectors who might confront you personally would hear your story and see that your true concern is leaving as little of a trace as possible, they'd relax...

It hasn't happened yet, but I do feel that if someone who "sees some guy with a big shovel tearing up the park" ever decided to call the cops, that once the officer arrived, I'd have an opportunity to explain my reasoning to him/her. I truly believe that if I took the time to respectfully show the officer what I do, and why/how I do it, I like to believe that it would go a long way toward smoothing things over...

Steve

The irony of the "no shovel" argument for me is the fact that my shovel cut plugs are nicer than my Lesche cut plugs. Much cleaner edges and IMHO a far better tool for the job. Having said that, I still don't tote the shovel into my city park but thinking it over I'm not sure why... Maybe if I give it a camo coat of paints nobody will see it anyhow... :shifty: :sneaking: :shifty: :lol:

I Agree, here's my .02 on the subject in an article i wrote about it recently

http://detecting365.com/metal-detecting-diggers/ - TWO METAL DETECTING DIGGERS YOU NEED

31 inch shovel is different than showing up in a park with a full blown SHOVEL!

I've used my sampson in parks in 4 states, 20 cities, 15 counties, talked with cops, residents, onlookers, park patrol, etc, never an issue because my sampson cuts CLEANER plugs than a hand digger, faster, less trace of my presence. I think the old chicken little sky is falling over a shovel debate is outdated and based in unwarranted fears. If they do not have specific writing that states the type of digger you can use, there is nothing wrong whit using a sampson in a park, and I do it every time I grab my sampson.

Your mileage may vary but I giggle at some of the people who freak out about it... leave no holes, get no problems, regardless of what you use... leave holes with your hand digger and you got probs, regardless of how small it is... fill yer plugs n be a bud!

BBsGal --

LOL! I think the camo paint might do the trick, for you! :)

Seriously, the good thing about this thread is that people are seriously concerned about how "nice" of a plug they can cut, and debating how best to do it. I don't think most people who think of metal detectorists imagine them talking online amongst themselves about how to cut the cleanest/neatest plugs so as to leave as little of a trace as possible that they ever retrieved a target...

Whether you carry a shovel, a hand digger, or a "coin popper," I think once most objectors who might confront you personally would hear your story and see that your true concern is leaving as little of a trace as possible, they'd relax...

It hasn't happened yet, but I do feel that if someone who "sees some guy with a big shovel tearing up the park" ever decided to call the cops, that once the officer arrived, I'd have an opportunity to explain my reasoning to him/her. I truly believe that if I took the time to respectfully show the officer what I do, and why/how I do it, I like to believe that it would go a long way toward smoothing things over...

Steve

Good point, we are kinda obsessive compulsive about neat plugs around here :yes:

I Agree, here's my .02 on the subject in an article i wrote about it recently

http://detecting365.com/metal-detecting-diggers/ - TWO METAL DETECTING DIGGERS YOU NEED

31 inch shovel is different than showing up in a park with a full blown SHOVEL!

I've used my sampson in parks in 4 states, 20 cities, 15 counties, talked with cops, residents, onlookers, park patrol, etc, never an issue because my sampson cuts CLEANER plugs than a hand digger, faster, less trace of my presence. I think the old chicken little sky is falling over a shovel debate is outdated and based in unwarranted fears. If they do not have specific writing that states the type of digger you can use, there is nothing wrong whit using a sampson in a park, and I do it every time I grab my sampson.

Your mileage may vary but I giggle at some of the people who freak out about it... leave no holes, get no problems, regardless of what you use... leave holes with your hand digger and you got probs, regardless of how small it is... fill yer plugs n be a bud!

Good article, and I agree on all points, including the one about using the Sampson to get up with. It makes a very fine "getter upper" when I'm out there hunting!

I use a large Bowie type knife in manicured lawns and have had no problems with the homeowner. In fact, we talked about the different types of digging and when I explained how a knife could cut a plug more precise than a shovel,especially when you're talking about a precise pinpoint, that sold them on me hunting their lawns. Look, I have used a shovel for 9 years hunting a pasture for relics and have used a knife in manicured lawns for 16 years and there simply is no comparison as far as leaving no trace. Not to argue the point, just my personnel experiance.

This is the reason I purchased the mini Sampson. It's small enough to tote into a park but still gets most done like it's bigger brother

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom