My best and oldest find yet!

Chuckciao

Was hunting a park in S.E. Iowa over the weekend and get a choppy signal at 9 inches that I was sure was an Indian Head but to my pleasant surprise, out pops this beautiful 1853 Half Dime with arrows. No mint mark to it was minted in Phila.
Thanks
Chuck

WOW! That's one nice find! Be careful cleaning her up, as she looks like she's in really good shape and you wouldn't want to put any scratches on her. Give us a cleaned up picture, please. Good luck on future hunts. : )

WOW! That's one nice find! Be careful cleaning her up, as she looks like she's in really good shape and you wouldn't want to put any scratches on her. Give us a cleaned up picture, please. Good luck on future hunts. : )

Thanks frankiefry. So far, I only rubbed it between my fingers under water. Do you have any suggestions on how I should clean it?
Thanks
Chuck

Don't do anything else to it!

That may be the best looking dug SHD I have ever seen....congrats.

I'd start out very gently, with just some olive oil and a wooden toothpick to get the dirt out of the details. Once you've done that, you may want to keep it that way. I'd check out what it's worth before going any further with the cleaning. Don't rub it, just pat/dab it dry. Others may have other ideas, but caution is the main thing. : ) I see you've already washed it. Upon doing a google search, it looks like you may have yourself a $100 coin!

Oh man! That is one beautiful coin. Great save, especially at that depth! Looks like it was minted yesterday. Big congrats!

Back
Top Bottom