Has anyone bought a Makro Racer 2 and kept it?

screwynewy

Elite Member
I have noticed a lot of Racer 2's for sale in the classified that get sold for $250 under the discounted dealer price and then get sold again and again. What is the problem with this machine? It looks like a very nice complete package for relic hunters but is anyone using this as their go to machine?

There was lots of hype on the R2, it was deeper, faster, better etc etc
I got mine pre order, sold it on very quickly, my soil killed it for depth, also one of the reasons why i didn't buy an Impact.

I kept my Racer 2

It, along with most Makro/Nokta machines, has much better target separation than many machines in its price range.

For a VLF machine it also outperforms most other VLF machines on beaches according to a lot of users.

Must be different minerals/levels in the black beach sand than ghound has in his ground.

no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hyped imo opinion. Sold the one I traded for very quickly, it was horrible in iron to me . A lot of people love them, I done some testing with it and test etc nothing special imo. I used it at the 1817 homesite which is infested with iron and just liked to false to much for my taste. Someone will come along and disagree with what I said and say blah blah ,imo don't waste your money but its your money so you can do what you want. BTW when you switch to D3 I believe its called depth goes out the window notice all the depth test on youtube are done in all metal mode which no one hunts in. Try relic hunting in a iron site with all metal that would be fun lol :shock:

But but but that guy said it was gonna replace the etrac, dominate the f75, replace the at pro.... are you guys saying a shill duped us with those claims!

Seems for the most part, generally speaking...

The best things Turkish machines have going for them are the shills that promote them with so much excitement and enthusiasm...

<°)))>{

Had the original Racer and just did not like it for my type of hunting. The way it read foil was just horrible, way too broad of a range in the target ID for it.
I did dig some deep coins with it but like many said, it just did not live up to the Hype.
I found the Racer 2 was much better than the original and was happy to see that they did actually listen to the users critique of the Racer and made some good improvements. Foil was in a much tighter ID range and the depth was still there.
I also have the Impact and found that I really like this machine. Takes a little time to get comfortable with it but it has good performance for my type of hunting (mostly coinshooting)

Here in the Nor'east. My impact has killed my atp and etrac hands down. No competition....
I've found coins and stuff neither of the others even saw...

I know nothing of the Racer2....

Two weeks ago i took my Impact with the small elliptical coil , met two old gents that had racer 2's at an 1800's fairground. Been pounded i know for the last 40 years by the two old gents themselves and i do not know how many others over the years. They used stock coils , 10 old coins were found in two hours earliest 1860 dime , latest 1917 wheat penny.

Been back since with , Impact , Deus, Etrac, CTX, cannot find a darn thing. I posted in another thread the importance of soil moisture, which that particular day was easy to dig, in finding stuff. All digs were 6.5 inches to 9+ that day. In fact one of the old gents texted me today because we got rain last nite and he wanted to know if it was significant enough to help find the old coins before he drove over here.

So ya the Racer 2 can find the goods , most people do not like how chatty they are. Kinda like the old F75's were. Now whether you would like one or not could only be determined by you getting your hands on one and testing it out.

Oh and by the way i know i was in DI3 and i know one of the older gents on his Racer 2 was also in DI3. Not sure about the other guy.

Bottom line is depending on soil conditions, operator experience, and machines in your area , they can be deep or not.

For example i have an eight inch dime buried in my test garden. CTX stock coil will not hit it, etrac with stock or tornado coil will not hit it.. But crazy my Safari with stock or small coil will hit it easily! V3i with ultimate will hit it and basically no other machine i have ever owned will. But the Deus will with 9 in coil no problem.

I am not trying to tell you to buy a Racer2 but i know they will hit deep i saw it with my own eyes many times that day i was with the two older gents.

I have noticed a lot of Racer 2's for sale in the classified that get sold for $250 under the discounted dealer price and then get sold again and again. What is the problem with this machine? It looks like a very nice complete package for relic hunters but is anyone using this as their go to machine?

Just met a pair of NY folks with a Racer 2 and Impact. I had my CTX and they asked if I was having any problems, false signals. I chuckled, said no and we started talking. A salesman from Jersey had sold them on these being the end-all solution to all things metal detecting. Unfortunately they couldn't use them for squat in the wet ocean sand. Wish I had my phone on me and been able to snap some photos. I spent about 30 mins trying to help them but to no resolve. Gave them the forum website and said to post up....but have a feeling they'll be trading in for CTX's. :D

Again, I can't stress enough that no matter how much software you add to a single frequency detectector, it just doesn't compare to multifrequency tech when having to cope with conductive salt and/or dense mineralization.

A Makro Racer 2 still currently one of the best bangs for the buck.

No one here, especially me has never alluded to any of the Nokta or Makro products ever being the end all detector for metal detecting.

Anyone who has used Etrac and CTX knows they certainly aren't the end all to find all coins in all detecting environments.

There are some other models that can do things the CTX and Etrac can't do.

Imagine this.
If the CTX when released would have only been a couple hundred bucks more than Etrac was,,,we wouldn't be even hearing about the Etrac very much at all.
But with CTX pricing, this is not the case.

We can only swing one detector at a time.
We must choose one.
So pick your poison.

Ever notice the later comers to Deus, these folks were solid in the tank for Minelab wouldn't they?
After using the Deus what happen to these folks?

Hunting virgin ground vs hunting pounded sites, 2 different animals.

As far as anyone ever stating that any of the Makro or Nokta detectors were as good as a multi freq on a salt beach,,it ain't ever happened.

But if folks will watch the videos,,,the Makro racers and Impact for non multi freq do seem to be more stable on a salt beach.
But this don't mean they trump multi freq.
Some folks maybe can't afford a multi freq detector, so they can still do some detecting at least with maybe one of these detectors.

I have run all the aforementioned detectors mentioned here.
All will detect metal, all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Don't forget when Minelab rolled into USA there were a lot of fisher, Garrett, and White's users who were non believers.
Now look how folks feel about Minelabs.

Also, does anyone think a detector manufacturer doesn't realize where their equipment stacks up against the competition?
And their equipment is priced accordingly.

We all should be proud to see any new manufacturers come to bear and make detectors.

This will help keep the others more honest.

Minelab for all practical purposes has the market cornered on pulse induction detectors.
What will happen if another manufacturer can make a unit as performing as a GPX series?

I think some folks here should go back to the 2012 time frame, and read on some. Of the forums about what folks in the USA were saying about Deus.
And this was being said just from looking at the pics of the detector.
How wrong they were.
And Xp is a worldly detector manufacturer.
Go look at what year Xp got started in the detecting manufacturing business.
Totally shocking at what they have achieved.

Could there be another Xp in the future?

No one here on this forum or any other has to buy any detector period.
It is solely a person's choice.

I certainly don't buy a detector so I can just criticize.

Has every detector I've ever bought been a total bed of roses?
No

And to this day, there is something about every detector I currently own that Infeel needs improvement.
Does this make the detector BAD?
Nope.

I do post things I think can be improved with detector models.

And I think some detector manufacturer reps do read.
And just maybe these improvements can come to fruition, even if it is a future model they make.

Some of the best finds are certainly not found with the best or most expensive detector.
And just because they are not, no one here should think any less of the work, time, and yes maybe some luck in their finding.

Put your model detector you are using at the time in areas detecting wise where they thrive,,,this is the real key to success IMO.

The R2 standard pack costs £600 here, a few quid more than a 2 coil pack Rutus, and having ran both there's just no comparison in 'bang for bucks' :no:

The R2 standard pack costs £600 here, a few quid more than a 2 coil pack Rutus, and having ran both there's just no comparison in 'bang for bucks' :no:

Ghound,
I like Rutus detector.
But currently unless something has changed Rutus doesn't offer a small coil.
So Rutus is limited from a performance standpoint in a real polluted site.

Also no support in USA for Rutus unlike Makro Racer 2.
Having support for a detector in country is worth some thing, at least for me.

Both detectors are good detectors.

But we must keep things here in total perspective when comparing.

Does anyone beleive here, if Xp didn't provide support in the USA for Deus would it be looked at as highly as what it is, or even the Minelabs for that matter.

Yes i understand there's no dealer backup in the US for Rutus, there is in the UK and maybe that's why it's been more popular over here, but it's 11" round coil is also a more popular coil choice here aswell especially for pasture work, look how well the Deus sells here or in the US without a small coil.
I know there's a small DD coil in the works, but the Rutus in my soil beats the R2 easy, the R2 even with a nel tornado coil can't get down to where the good targets are on my pasture sites, it's 'horses for courses', if the coils come for the Rutus, it has more user adjustability to dial it in for more detecting scenarios than the fixed program R2 and many other mid priced machines.

Ghound,
I like Rutus detector.
But currently unless something has changed Rutus doesn't offer a small coil.
So Rutus is limited from a performance standpoint in a real polluted site.

Also no support in USA for Rutus unlike Makro Racer 2.
Having support for a detector in country is worth some thing, at least for me.

Both detectors are good detectors.

But we must keep things here in total perspective when comparing.

Does anyone beleive here, if Xp didn't provide support in the USA for Deus would it be looked at as highly as what it is, or even the Minelabs for that matter.

Yes i understand there's no dealer backup in the US for Rutus, there is in the UK and maybe that's why it's been more popular over here, but it's 11" round coil is also a more popular coil choice here aswell especially for pasture work, look how well the Deus sells here or in the US without a small coil.
I know there's a small DD coil in the works, but the Rutus in my soil beats the R2 easy, the R2 even with a nel tornado coil can't get down to where the good targets are on my pasture sites, it's 'horses for courses', if the coils come for the Rutus, it has more user adjustability to dial it in for more detecting scenarios than the fixed program R2 and many other mid priced machines.

I agree, the layout and options provided on Rutus is very well thought out.
Other manufacturers should take a look at Rutus.

Not overly complicated yet very functional.

This is why I said what I did in another post here.
We should all welcome all manufacturers for making detectors.

We could see some spin off here coming off the Rutus with the way it's menu system is designed and functions with the corresponding buttons with other future detectors.

I believed the hype from watching youtube videos about the Racer 2, that was a big mistake, it does nothing like it does in the videos. I took it to a park where I have pulled out old coins with the AT PRO. I was using the 4.5 x 5 coil on the Racer 2, and found nothing. So I took the F75 LTD upgraded using the 5'' coil and hunted the same area and found 3 IH pennies and a mercury dime.

If you take the Racer 2 and hunt in a field and remove everything that beeps and reads as a coin, you will have a big pile of scrap metal, and I am not talking about removing any cans.

I believed the hype from watching youtube videos about the Racer 2, that was a big mistake, it does nothing like it does in the videos. I took it to a park where I have pulled out old coins with the AT PRO. I was using the 4.5 x 5 coil on the Racer 2, and found nothing. So I took the F75 LTD upgraded using the 5'' coil and hunted the same area and found 3 IH pennies and a mercury dime.

If you take the Racer 2 and hunt in a field and remove everything that beeps and reads as a coin, you will have a big pile of scrap metal, and I am not talking about removing any cans.

I have seen peeps say the same thing about Deus, At Pro, F75, etc etc etc and sell it within two days of buying it. In fact several years ago i said the same thing about the CTX 3030 now it is one of my favorite machines. In fact there is a guy on Findmall selling his and he only had it a few days,,,,, i see it all the time. I honestly cannot tell you how many threads i have read where people buy some machine and sell it and bash it in a matter of a few days. Some are harder to learn than others, some are tonal machines first and ID second. I know a guy that will not hardly hunt with anything but a Etrac because he relies totally on ID only. What he does not realize is, if there is any thing else under a coil of any single frequency machine, it will skew the ID and depending on it's position in relation to the target can totally mask the good target. Also applies to FBS machines as well.

Machines are only as good as the person running them and their experience level with the machine. Those two old guys that have hunted together for over 40 years did not have a pile of junk at the end of the day they had 8 of the 10 coins found , i found two. Hunt was only two hours long. They did it with Racer 2's , i do not even have a Racer 2 and i am not trying to promote it but when i have seen and do know that they can find the goodies i feel like i need to speak out. What i am seeing by monitoring several different forums, the people that really like and use them are the ones i know have been detecting for quite some time and have a lot of detecting experience.

Just met a pair of NY folks with a Racer 2 and Impact. I had my CTX and they asked if I was having any problems, false signals. I chuckled, said no and we started talking. A salesman from Jersey had sold them on these being the end-all solution to all things metal detecting. Unfortunately they couldn't use them for squat in the wet ocean sand. Wish I had my phone on me and been able to snap some photos. I spent about 30 mins trying to help them but to no resolve. Gave them the forum website and said to post up....but have a feeling they'll be trading in for CTX's. :D

Again, I can't stress enough that no matter how much software you add to a single frequency detectector, it just doesn't compare to multifrequency tech when having to cope with conductive salt and/or dense mineralization.

I took a Racer 2 down to a salt water beach in wet blank sand and did not believe how quiet it ran. It ran just as quiet as a Sovereign GT and the depth on coins was easily 8 inches to 10 inches.

I believed the hype from watching youtube videos about the Racer 2, that was a big mistake, it does nothing like it does in the videos.
Well there are many, many folks that went through the identical experience. :mad:

Machines are only as good as the person running them...
No matter what driver you put behind a 2wd truck, it will never perform like a 4wd until it has the hardware.

I took a Racer 2 down to a salt water beach in wet blank sand and did not believe how quiet it ran. ..
Fantastic to hear and thankfully there is a success story too. I don't wish failure on anyone....just honest feedback and continuous improvement. =)

What is the problem with this machine?

BACK TO THE O.P. .... The problem with this machine (and many other single frequencies) is that the marketing hype leads most buyers to believe they can simply follow a few instructions and the machine will work in the conditions advertised, e.g., the website/packaging-box shows pictures of parks, fields, beaches, and the ocean. The advertising doesn't say just how much work goes in to making them function and the side effects of dealing with salt. Based on the feedback here and the sheer number of used units available, its apparent the majority of operators are left feeling betrayed or as if they bought an incompetent machine.

I'm a beach hunter and hunt on a beach that was mined for minerals during the WWI and WW2 war efforts. I know this is an area that emphatically calls the bluff of manufacturer's claims. I have dealt one-on-one with Garrett reps who during initial release had to call mercy with their lofty ATPro claims. I have invited and met with many dealers who ended up buying a round for good ole' "ME"after they were admittedly suprised that their detectors had such significant problems they were rendered near or fully useless. To save face, I'll leave names be unless they want to speak up.

Meanwhile, the appeal of a multi-frequency machine is that yes, it is advertised to work in those conditions and when most operators try it in real-life, the detector works exactly as advertised.

Keeping mine

I've had my Racer2 for over a year now and find it to be a solid performer, especially in high trash. I'd go so far as to say it's of one the best detectors I've used in iron. Very fast, separates targets exceptionally well, and hits hard on deep coins. I appreciate the adjustable tones, and the interface ergonomics are top notch.

As far as chattiness, I run 2 tones and all-metal, and it's not that bad. Deep mode is too difficult for me to use in all but the cleanest sites, so I limit it to target checking. If you can listen to the FBS flutey sounds and nulling in thick iron, or the T2's spastic-ness, the Racer shouldn't bother you.

Like a previous poster wrote, no detector is perfect, and I don't expect the Racer2 to be. And I don't live near salt water, so I can't comment on its performance in that environment. But for me, in my ground, it's working well.

I will also commend their customer service as being quite responsive, unlike some of the other manufacturers. So my Racer is not going away anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom