Vaquero question

palmettoguy

I picked up a used Vaquero and it seems to be working just fine but I am having one issue...when I cut a plug and flip it and sweep over the hole and plug, I don't get any hits on the detector...meaning the target has now vanished.
The plug is only 6" long when flipped...surely the Vaquero can still detect it even if it's at the very bottom (top) of the plug when flipped.
I've GB per instructions and run sensitivity at 10 using the stock 9x8 coil.
Everytime this happened the target was only 1-2" from the top of the plug or rather 4-5" away from the coil sweeping over it when flipped.
It air tests fine...a quarter at 8" with no probs.
Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks in advance!

I picked up a used Vaquero and it seems to be working just fine but I am having one issue...when I cut a plug and flip it and sweep over the hole and plug, I don't get any hits on the detector...meaning the target has now vanished.
The plug is only 6" long when flipped...surely the Vaquero can still detect it even if it's at the very bottom (top) of the plug when flipped.
I've GB per instructions and run sensitivity at 10 using the stock 9x8 coil.
Everytime this happened the target was only 1-2" from the top of the plug or rather 4-5" away from the coil sweeping over it when flipped.
It air tests fine...a quarter at 8" with no probs.
Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks in advance!

What kind of targets are we talking about...coins? And what kind if they are?
Where was your disc set on these, maybe just below the targets conductivity range?
What kind of soil are you hunting in?

The reason I ask is in my soil I can see this happening under some circumstances.
I have some pretty good red dirt iron mineralization going on here and on my Fisher iron in the vicinity and/or this kind of soil causes up averaging around targets...all targets.
The deeper I go the higher the signal and they don't revert back to normal until I get them out of the ground or at least stick my digger in the area and disturb the dirt...break the halo as it were.
I also know all my Tesoros can do this too to a certain extent...here.

I can see if your disc is above the conductivity range in the ground you might get a signal on some lower targets but when you cut that plug the target in it goes back to normal and the target is now disced out.
If your disc is maxed you might get a signal on a zincoln for instance until the soil matrix changes, then after you won't.

Otherwise I see no other reason for this to happen unless you have a dead spot in your coil....if even a thing like this can technically happen with a broken coil.
To get the best, clearest signal always try to get the center of the coil over targets, it can pick them up on the edges but the best info and tone will come from the center of the coil from all edges.

This just sounds weird to me if your disc is low and within range of the targets you are digging when this happens so maybe some others will show up with some other ideas.

Thanks for the reply and great explanation, Digger!
The coins were pennies (pre 82) and a clad dime. It happened 3 different times.
The disc was set at the 3 o'clock position and then I lowered it back down to just above iron each time and still didn't get a beep.
The soil is almost like a top soil...real dark and rich.
Also, all of the targets I dug yesterday seemed to only be 1" -2" from the surface. Not sure if its a detector issue that it's not getting deep enough or if there was just no deep targets where I was hunting.
I ordered a 5.75 concentric and a 10x12 sef coil for it today just in case the coil is bad...plus just to have them ;)
Later today I'll bury a few coins at various depths and see if the detector finds them.

I coin 1 to 2 inches from the surface should be very loud and responsive. Your pinpointer should be able to detect it that shallow. A deeper coin on the Vaquero past the 6in mark will be feint sounding which clues you to the depth you should dig. Make sure your threshold is set to just a bare hum. Good luck and happy hunting!

Thanks for the reply!
So the deeper the target, the softer the tone?
I'm learning this machine coming from a CTX so it's been a little difficult to say the least, ha!

Straight up here.
I don't have vaquero.
Got to hold one a few months ago.

But your experiences mirror mine on some plugs.
Using Deus, Makro, Notka detectors.

The possible reasons it is happening.

Could be a masker blocking signal.
Could be orientation of say coin(on edge)

Some times I see no real culprit (I try to use pinpointer to derive the reason why my detector won't tone in on.
And can't really see a reason, other than the soil matrix is jumbled.

Now I should say, take Deus, it will let you hear iron using full tones or even running disc out iron and nails, yet allow a background iron tone.

On some plugs when flipped, I can't get nonferrous tone, but do get ferrous tone,,indicating a masker in plug with nonferrous target.

If my memory serves me correctly, vaquero don't have iron vol capability, so a masker could block nonferous tone, hence you wouldn't hear any tone if masker is present in plug with nonferrous target.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah, this was the first detector that I've ever had do this to me. On the CTX, it was never an issue.
After giving it more thought, if it happens again, I'll just flip the plug back and scan it after scanning the hole first.

Was able to get back out today for about an hr or so. I've found that if I sweep the hole first and if I don't get a signal there, then it's in the plug itself...even though I sweep the plug and I dont get a signal most of the time.
Anyways, I had a ton of one way signals today and I just got tired of digging trash...even with the disc turned to the mark just above max.
I'm running the machine with the stock coil, disc set to the mark just above max, threshold at 2pm, and sensitivity is set to the y at the end of sensitivity. I GB so there is no difference in sound moving the coil up or down. I'm assuming I'm running it correctly?
Honestly, I about gave up using it after the first 20mins or so today. I'm sure it's user error and not the machine, but man...
I'd get a signal, run the coil back and forth and I swear, it seemed like the target would move on me...was such a PITA to get a signal both ways. One second, I'd get it both ways, then lose it, then nothing, then one way signal and then nothing.
Anyways, I'll keep at it...but if you come across a Vaquero wrapped around a fence post, I guess you found my hunting spot ;)

When you say you ground balanced per instructions are you talking about the manuals instructions for air test? It sounds to me like your getting ground falsing which tells me that your to far negative. Try going back positive a little to quiet it down. What are your soil conditions?

With Tesoros you will find that by raising the coil as you sweep you will be able to figure out the depth of the target. Also a good way to avoid digging cans as larger targets will still be getting a hit when the coil is a foot in the air.

Noah

Back
Top Bottom