Early 1900s shotgun shell head stamps...

Dig Joy

Here are a few of the nicer exapmles we found today on our 3rd stop...I think the rem-umc arrow is 1911s according to the last shotgun shell id post (very helpful post!)..but what about the umc smokelss 10 and the liberty? Also found a nice short "Peters League 12" shell...Are these rare at all? Or are these common to find?

Attachments

• bullet post 2.jpg
    bullet post 2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,959
  • bullet post 3.jpg
    bullet post 3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 3,958
  • bullet cool man.jpg
    bullet cool man.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,825
OKay - you found some killer heads today! They are all good ones!!! Here is a quick rundown.

You actually have two different generations of the same shell with the SMOKELESS and ARROW. The UMC SMOKELESS is the grandfather of the Rem-UMC ARROW.

The UMC SMOKELESS was introduced in 1891. It was sold under the name SMOKELESS until 1901/02 when UMC changed it's name to ARROW. The ARROW LINE was a carryover line when UMC and Remington merged in 1911. Remington-UMC kept the ARROW line around until the mid 1920's. I believe 1923 was the last year, but I cannot find my notes right now.

Your LIBERTY head about knocked me out of my chair. It is the first one that I have ever seen! According to a popular website, the date range is 1908-1917. I have not researched this line of shells, so I have VERY limited information on them. I do know that the Liberty Cartridge Company was listed in the 1909 District of Columbia directory. Sort of interesting that a ammunition company from the capital city of the United States is called "Liberty".

Now the short answer:
UMC Smokeless - 1891-1902 (very scarce find)
Rem-UMC Arrow - 1911-1920's (uncommon but not rare)
Liberty Bulk - 1908-1917* (very rare - first I have ever seen)

Those are some GREAT finds!
Doug

Will PM you later this evening.

TF-Thanks for the great feedback! Its one thing to find this stuff and its even better to learn about its origins and to date it! Ill be posting back in a couple days when I go back to dig all the ones I skipped over today :?: My new collection of old head stamps is growing fast :D

What about the short "peters leauge" 12ga" shells? Have you heard of them? I have a few nice ones I found today as well...

Sorry - Missed commenting on the Peters League. The League is one of the harder Peters headstamps to come across, especially the early ones. I would love to see a pic of it. It is one of my top three Peters lines that I have in my collection.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom