You never know what tomorrow will bring

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I have been kind of quiet on the forum for awhile due to my work schedule. Many of you know me by way of years on the forum. For those of you that don't here is a bit of my history-

Farming (dairy) was in my family further back than I can remember, so I guess it was in my blood. A couple years after graduating high school my Dad passed away (love you Dad) so me and my Mom decided to keep on a farmin. Mom & I worked the farm for 3 years (looking back I don't know how we did it), then my Brother said that he had enough working at a factory job and wanted to join us on the farm. It was nice having his help,etc. this was back in 1975, things went well up until about 2011. The price of milk went way down the cost of everything went up our equipment was worn out and we couldn't afford to repair or replace anything. We decided to sell the land and cows and machinery in 2013 the last 2 years were so stressful knowing that you can not make your payments. We got decent money from the sales but still needed a job. I always like dabbling with electronics and electricity and got lucky to find a job that fits my likes. I got a job at a factory where we build big led lights for stadiums,etc. I quickly became a repair technician, the work was fairly similar to the type of things that I done while running my satellite tv business (while I was farming) so it was second nature to me. Being a farmer there were no days off and of course no traveling, with my new factory job I got every Saturday and Sunday off and traveling around the country repairing lights (ex. Buffalo Sabres, Minnesota Timberwolves, Miami Dolphis and Heat, Anaheim Angels, and a few others). It was a good 4 year run, then our work at the factory started to slow down way down so much so I recently got laid off and it doesn't look good about going back. So here I am again at 57 years old (young) looking for another job. One of the engineers at the place that we made lights for messaged me about possibly going out on the road to do a few repairs in Miami and Buffalo but I would have to get my own insurance and fill out a W9 form and not sure if it would be worth it. Be thankful for what you have as it can be gone in a blink of an eye.

Sorry to hear that. i too was raised on a farm and always wanted to remain there since I knew what my father and grandfather had put into it. I'm now stuck in the city and I hate it living mainly on a military pension. At 72 there's not much chance of me finding anything else and frankly I'm to tired to try. At least you have some good experience to fall back on. I hope that you can soon find something to your liking.

I have been kind of quiet on the forum for awhile due to my work schedule. Many of you know me by way of years on the forum. For those of you that don't here is a bit of my history-

Farming (dairy) was in my family further back than I can remember, so I guess it was in my blood. A couple years after graduating high school my Dad passed away (love you Dad) so me and my Mom decided to keep on a farmin. Mom & I worked the farm for 3 years (looking back I don't know how we did it), then my Brother said that he had enough working at a factory job and wanted to join us on the farm. It was nice having his help,etc. this was back in 1975, things went well up until about 2011. The price of milk went way down the cost of everything went up our equipment was worn out and we couldn't afford to repair or replace anything. We decided to sell the land and cows and machinery in 2013 the last 2 years were so stressful knowing that you can not make your payments. We got decent money from the sales but still needed a job. I always like dabbling with electronics and electricity and got lucky to find a job that fits my likes. I got a job at a factory where we build big led lights for stadiums,etc. I quickly became a repair technician, the work was fairly similar to the type of things that I done while running my satellite tv business (while I was farming) so it was second nature to me. Being a farmer there were no days off and of course no traveling, with my new factory job I got every Saturday and Sunday off and traveling around the country repairing lights (ex. Buffalo Sabres, Minnesota Timberwolves, Miami Dolphis and Heat, Anaheim Angels, and a few others). It was a good 4 year run, then our work at the factory started to slow down way down so much so I recently got laid off and it doesn't look good about going back. So here I am again at 57 years old (young) looking for another job. One of the engineers at the place that we made lights for messaged me about possibly going out on the road to do a few repairs in Miami and Buffalo but I would have to get my own insurance and fill out a W9 form and not sure if it would be worth it. Be thankful for what you have as it can be gone in a blink of an eye.

Sorry to hear about your situation Skiwhiz.

Reading your story it reminds me that when one door closes another opens.. it happened to you before and it WILL happen again.. and probably again and again. Keep the faith brother and remember that negativity breeds negativity and positivity also breeds Positivity so stay positive and I swear SOMETHING to your liking will come along and in the mean time do what you have to do..

Wiz it's good to see ya once again. Sorry to hear about the job though. But with your experience I feel you won't be long without employment.;)

Wiz it's good to see ya once again. Sorry to hear about the job though. But with your experience I feel you won't be long without employment.;)
Good to be back, miss this place. Next week I start getting an unemployment check, never had one or have never been without work in my life time. I have confidence that I will find something.

You'll get there Ski,,,,I know your work has kept you from the forum . Always wondered how you were doing , and if you've been doing any detecting. If you take up traveling some , you'll have plenty of deductions to offset some of the cost in traveling. Good luck , and keep positive.

Sorry to hear that Wiz...Yeah...we have been following you from back in your dairy days...This Job you had seemed to be real good for you, and you were good at it!...What happened with the Co? I'da figured you coulda rode this horse until retirement! Just no demand or imports or what?

Just gonna throw this out there Brother...theres a big Lighting Trade Show at McCormick Pl in Chicago coming up on May 8-10 called LightFair....You should pull up the site and take a look at the exhibitor list...Maybe make a few calls even and set up a meeting? Fly or drive on in there and flap your yap and hang out? If you drive, you can detect all the way there and back even!

Lots of times, a guy with your kind of experience is sought after during these events, the decision makers are there! It would be a place to start if you want to parlay what you learned and stay in that industry.....

You may even find yourself making twice the money!...as a Sales Rep even...Techs make the very best Sales reps ya know...Anyway...Hope it all works out for you..it will, Farmers are tough!

I've said it before..."Jobs nowadays often prove to be temporary and unprofitable nuisances!" :laughing:.

HI SKE,
Long time no see. I hate hearing about when someone has a good job, that things go bad. I am sure with your skills that some thing will come your way. Than everything will be OK again.
Many of us miss your post on here.
Hope things work out for you. Take care friend.. KEN :D

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I just got a call wanting me to come in for an interview this Friday at Med Eng. It is a factory in the same area where I was working. They make bomb suites and other security type things there.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I just got a call wanting me to come in for an interview this Friday at Med Eng. It is a factory in the same area where I was working. They make bomb suites and other security type things there.

Good luck on the interview , if it suits you.

Best of luck Ski, you've got the experience and the skills to make it happen, as an employee or on your own account.
If you do side work you could charge probably charge triple, check going rates for contractors, what they paid you as the last company and the client would still be getting a deal...

I know how you feel, I was 57 when the place I was working cut back. At our age it's harder to find someone that will hire us. Me, I decided to try something new, I'm driving a truck now. The pay is good, and no boss breathing down my neck all day. It could be a good time to try a new direction in life. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.

Had my interview this morning and got the job. Not sure if it will be something that I will like but am going to give it a try. My job will be using an industrial sewing machine, I have never sewn anything in my life.

Good deal! You got skills! Everyone here seemed to know it; WTG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had my interview this morning and got the job. Not sure if it will be something that I will like but am going to give it a try. My job will be using an industrial sewing machine, I have never sewn anything in my life.

Congrats, that is great !!!!!

In my younger days I worked for a while with an individual who did furniture reupholstering and I was amazed at how fairly easy it was to learn to use an industrial grade sewing machine for sewing heavy fabrics.

He used to do well at buying old used sofa beds, reupholstering them, and selling them for a profit as they seemed to sell easy.

Just think, once you have that skill you might try practicing reupholstering an old piece of furniture and have that as a side benefit if you ever need to reupholster your own furniture.

Tip: seat cushions are sewn inside out, the pulled right side out when done.

Back
Top Bottom