XP Deus! What a chatterbox! Help needed!

Planedoc

OK! I recently retired and as a retirement gift I bought myself an XP Deus. I've spent the last month relocating from Washington state to Kansas and didn't have the time until today to get out with it. A former coworker wanted to try metal detecting so we hit a local baseball complex. He used my AT Pro and I used the Deus. After an hour or so he had found about a dollars worth of clad and all I had was an old beaver tail pull tab! Good lord!! The Deus has so many tones coming at you it's hard to figure out what's a good tone and what isn't! I even followed behind my friend and swung over the good hits he was getting and I still couldn't make heads or tails out of what it was telling me! The AT Pro was so easy to learn compared to the Deus. Maybe I'm a little dense!! With all the great things I was hearing about the Deus I decided to get myself one. Now???????

Is there any way to eliminate unnecessary chatter? Kansas doesn't have a long history so i doubt I'll miss any large cents here. All I do is coin shoot and find the occasional ring. I've watched almost all the videos on youtube and have the Sabisch book.

Any advice??? Anyone in the Wichita area that has a Deus willing to show me the ins and outs???

Got mine in the mail today. They all said not to be afraid so don't be afraid (afraid that you spent $$$$$$$$$ on a machine too complex) . All I had time to do is put it in basic and run the coil over a few hand picked coins to hear what they sounded like. Too much chatter? What are you trying to do? Scare me ?:shock:

I just put a video up on the language of the deus and how to navigate the menu for beginners. Congrats on your new purchase. The deus will chatter some and is affected by emi but there are some ways to combat these things but I need to know your settings first. The deus is a very sensitive machine so we might have to dial it back some but will know more when we see your settings.

Can't come to Wichita, but will try to advise.

User has to walk with Deus before they can run.
Don't dismiss so fast.

You were a green horn with Deus.
Your friend, how much experience e with their detector?

First off, one of the mistakes new users of Deus do is to use too many tones.

Try using 3 tones.

Try the following settings.
Freq 12 kHz
Sens 90
Reactvity 2 with 9" coil, 2.5 with 11" coil
Silencer 0
Disc 6.4
Tones 3
Set tone breaks to first one will be disc setting 6.4, then second one at 78.
Go in and adjust your tone freqs for your tone break areas,,,like set area above 78 really high.
Audio report 4
Ground balance to tracking if area is not too trashy.
If trashy do a pumping GB

Now if you still feel like you are getting barraged with mid tone from trash.
Try to go into notch, select expert and notch 00-78.
This will definitely get rid of a lot of singals.
You will hear some targets close to 79/80 may be broken/static sounding.

Now the above will allow you to get your feet wet when looking for coins.
Using the notch, most gold, nickels unless deeper will not yield signals.

If you will listen, you will hear a nice faint tone, smoother sounding, not beep sounding,,you likely will see no ID in Deus meter or see a 97 or 98 in meter.
This will be the deeper detected,,can be anything nonferrous.
Even a target (while air testing) that would be knocked out if shallower in the ground with the notch setting I talk about above.

Using tracking GB in a trashy site, Deus can track out, when it does ,,oh my, it will make all kinds of sounds when being swept.

Probably a good idea to use the detect screen where horseshoe displayed.
Those 2 boxes on the right, upper and lower,,should be running close together.
If not, go to clean spot, do pumping GB, then get back in site.

Deus is going to chirp.
Sure you can lessen this by reducing sens down in the 80s or 70s,,don't do this will cost you depth, and make some targets hard to hear.

Most sites you should be able to run sens level at 90.
My experiences anyway.

If 12kzh is it seems noisy, go to 8khz
Notch settings above change to 00- 69.

Hope this helps.

I went from ATP to Deus with no problems. Absolutely killing it. I recommend watching Gary's Deus series on YouTube. I learned a great deal from that. I run full tones and love it. I also know that sometimes ya just can't click with a given machine. I tried a new Minelab Safari before the Deus and got rid of it after 10 days. Just didn't get it. I get the Deus and love it. Do you have a test garden set up? If not I make one. Repeatedly hearing tones from good targets trains your mind/ears. GL and HH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I run sens 93 and tx on3 and sometimes have to dial back to 90 and tx 2, a lot of times you can change the frequency and it will calm do too.

If the machine seems unstable, maybe you have adjusted the Ground Balance and have it out of whack? That would make it extremely chatty. Being brand new to the Deus, I'd start off in one of the default programs and leave GB alone until you get the hang of it. Once you start to get comfortable with the detector, then you can start tweaking it to your liking and use the GB methods TNSS posted above.

FWIW, I sold my first Deus after only one week of ownership due to having a similar experience to what you posted. I didn't give it a chance because it was different than what I was used to. I ended up buying another one a few months later and actually taking the time to learn its language. No regrets! Great detector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put a video up on the language of the deus and how to navigate the menu for beginners. Congrats on your new purchase. The deus will chatter some and is affected by emi but there are some ways to combat these things but I need to know your settings first. The deus is a very sensitive machine so we might have to dial it back some but will know more when we see your settings.

Saw that you posted the video the same time I posted! It'll help for sure!

I started out in basic 1 then tried other programs. It's mostly a case of information overload! I rarely ever adjust the settings on my AT Pro when I'm out. We have sandy soil here that's easy to detect in and I'm not expecting to find the holy grail! Also I'm not used to the tones. To me the pitch of the tones are too close together. My ears have been abused working in the aircraft business all these years.

And thank you all for the advice and help!

Ok you like the pro we need to set the deus up to act like the pro maybe 5 tones , this will not be that hard to do. I will shoot a video on how to change the 5 tones and upload it it might be tomorrow or the next day before I can get it posted. If you go out before then try changing the frequency from 11.6 to 7.8 or 17.7 and see if this helps with the chatter might have been the other machine or emi affecting it.

At pro is 3 tone,much easier machine to use.I can only speak for myself,as I said before I liked the deus basic 1 settings,, but too much tweaking to get good performance,I like machines that just turn on and go with good performance.Having to be set up for different sites is fun for a tweaker,not fun for a turn on and go type hunter...You gotta ask yourself first if your a tweaker and like messing with settings all the time or do you like to just hunt?

The only settings I ever change on my Deus for my area are sensitivity and groundbalance. Killing it.

Can you expand on that?

Ok. I run a modified fast program all the time here in east TN. Sensitivity as high as I can run it, 12khz instead of 18, full tones, disc at 25 audio at 4, run the GB as low as it will run, usually mid 80s here.

Your results may vary, [emoji23]

The video for the tones and tone breaks is up in how to use your metal detector. The deus isn't that hard to learn if you put some effort into it. I show a 5 tone setup but the same principals apply to 2,3,or 4 tones. Hope it helps . I stated with a at pro and mastered it and became bored with , the at series are just flat out boring to me but to each his own. If you don't like the tones of the at pro in zero mode your stuck not so with the deus check it out.

The video for the tones and tone breaks is up in how to use your metal detector. The deus isn't that hard to learn if you put some effort into it. I show a 5 tone setup but the same principals apply to 2,3,or 4 tones. Hope it helps . I stated with a at pro and mastered it and became bored with , the at series are just flat out boring to me but to each his own. If you don't like the tones of the at pro in zero mode your stuck not so with the deus check it out.

Just watched the video!! Great!! This should help tremendously! I wear earbuds because of the abuse my ears have taken over the years. That's what made the AT Pro so easy to learn. That nice bell tone when detecting a coin is great for me. Now that I know how to adjust the tones it should make it easier! As stated I have Andy's book but book learning will only get you so far!

Thanks!!

Just watched the video!! Great!! This should help tremendously! I wear earbuds because of the abuse my ears have taken over the years. That's what made the AT Pro so easy to learn. That nice bell tone when detecting a coin is great for me. Now that I know how to adjust the tones it should make it easier! As stated I have Andy's book but book learning will only get you so far!

Thanks!!
In my opinion, Andy's book will help you understand features but it outdated as 4.0 is different than the 3.2 version. I have the book but rarely look through it. I rely on the XP tutorials from Gary Blackwell. You will get the latest information as the versions evolve from updates and they are free....

to watch videos is a easier way for me to learn , or when used together really make it click or stick in your mind. Gary makes awesome videos.

Back
Top Bottom