How a metal detecting forum saved my marriage last night.

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
My wife makes 99.9% of our social plans. The one event I planned is the International Association of Equinox Users Group that will meet this winter in Nova Scotia on December 31st. I have been selected to present my paper titled “The Five Year Analysis of Pull Tabs and Pop Tops found in Public Parks Along the Chattahoochee River North of I-285”.

But back to the 99.9% of our social plans where I just dress accordingly and try to be ready at the right departure time. Just last night she said we were going out to dinner with Sue and Bill. Fine, Sue is smart, funny, hot and 15 years younger than Bill. Bill is a retired electrical engineer and is always fun to talk to. He worked on the Rockwell Hellfire missile.

So we show up to this Japanese restaurant 40 minutes late due to the not so proper prior trip planning of my wife. The restaurant is near the Mall of Georgia which is a Mall of America wannabe. But for our area it is the biggest mall in North East Metro Atlanta. And guess what? It is raining, there are 4 zillion people out Christmas shopping trying to get to our Mall Wannabe and a wreck on I-85. Guess we were lucky we were only 40 minutes late. Now it is not like my wife does not shop at this mall once a week and not like she doesn’t know how crazy it is a few weeks till Christmas. She has been ordering Christmas gifts for her large family since Halloween on Amazon.

Oh, yeah, she informed me that she and I would not be exchanging gifts this year with each other to save money and this comes from a woman that has a bedroom full of gifts for her family. I said what about that 15 inch coil that I want for my 800? She said you never found anything good with your big coil on your other metal detector so you don’t need a bigger coil, learn how to use the one you have and besides size only matters when you are talking about… UH, I will stop here. But she did mumble something about mud puppy knowing how to use his 15 inch coil.

Yes, I am getting closer to the metal detecting angle here and saved marriage. So I walked in to the restaurant expecting to find our friends Sue and Bill and I finally do. It is one of the Japanese restaurant where they have a Japanese cook cooking at your table, but here in Atlanta they teach Hispanics a few Japanese words and that is your authentic Japanese cook dressed up in a red outfit and a funny skull cap.

Among the 10 other people seated at our table I spy Bill and Sue and they are all arranged with men on one side and women on the other. After being 40 minutes late, I am assigned a seat near at the end next to one of their friend’s adult son (32) who lives at home with mom.

The restaurant is huge and there are probably 60 – 100 people in there. And all 100 diners were all talking louder than their neighbor to be heard over the din. Well with my somewhat bad hearing in one ear, I could not make out much of what was being said which was probably good. Oh, and there was this one Japanese? Hispanic? guy that would run out of the kitchen with a gong and banged it real loud as he was running and everyone thought it was so funny and so they clapped each time and he would run back into the kitchen.

We all finally ordered and when my meal came I should have brought my pin pointer because in the meal was a curly 1 inch long metal shaving. I called over to the waitress to point out this unwanted particle and the waitress I think apologized in broken English and 15 minutes later brought me a new dinner. They didn’t even comp my frigging meal. I guess I should have called the manger (the little guy banging the gong?) over and written down the name and number of my attorney. He wouldn’t really know that he was my tax attorney. Then maybe I would have had my meal comped.

My only conversational dinner partner offered to change seats with me so I could talk to someone I knew. Well I would have had to move down four seats to get next to the only guy I knew, which was Bill. And there was no way my wife would have tolerated me sitting next to Sue.

I politely thanked him for his offer. He told me where he was from and that was Florida. Well Florida is a big state, so I naturally ask where in Florida and he said south Florida. I asked was that on the East or West coast of Florida? He just looked at me for a minute an said well there is nothing on the west coast. I politely offered the possibility that city of Naples and Marco Island were on the west coast and he firmly stated, hey there is no action over there on that side of Florida. I was afraid to ask him what he meant by action. Remember this is a 32 year old guy, living with mom and stepdad and five Chihuahuas.

I gave my wife “the look” across the griddle since the Japanese? Or Hispanic? cooking show was over and the look I gave her meant I am getting up and leaving this minute. She gave me her look than meant don’t you even consider doing that. So was trapped.

Then my life preserver in the form of my iPhone rescued me. I bent my head down and cranked up Safari and went to my metal detecting forums and calmed down. For the rest of the meal I Ignored everyone. I was following some interesting treads on the Equinox 800 and its ability to use multiple frequencies.

I learned that on the Equinox 800 it only transmits and receives ONLY on two frequencies in each mode. And what the term weighting means is that depending on the mode type they have hardwired in two of the best frequencies for that type of hunt mode and targets.

Foolish me, I believed the implications of Minelab’s marketing department’s fancy graphics on their brochure that shows the cloud like graphics of all frequencies 5,10, 15, 20 and 40 khz hovering over the multi-frequency words. I thought it was scanning all these frequencies at one time. But it turns out it is a two frequency at one time detector and any more than two frequencies being transmitted at once cuts the power and depth of the detector. I was trying to find out exactly what two frequencies are used in each mode. IE which two are used for park one, park two, and so on.

I noticed it got a little quieter and looked up and everyone was standing up getting ready to leave. Not a bad evening once I shut out all the noise and enjoyed my metal detecting forums. Now I know why all these guys are using Tapatalk from their smart phones. They are stuck with their wives somewhere and the metal detecting forums are keeping the divorce rates among detectorists from increasing.

Special shout out to Vferrari for explaining the facts about the 800’s multi-frequency abilities. Yes, it is a multi-frequency detector but you can only use a max of two at one time. Still this is better than having to change coils. What have I learned? Always keep your cell phone fully charged before you go somewhere with your wife.

Thats hilarious work! A+++! "What part of Florida?":laughing::laughing:

Whats that about the 800? Only two freaks used at a time? !!!? (Well Thats Fantastic):mad:

Maybe thats why "Windmill2" seems to be the best setting for black sand here...Maybe theres another upgraydd coming down the pipe...:?:.

Last edited:
Thats hilarious work! A+++! "What part of Florida?":laughing::laughing:

Whats that about the 800? Only two freaks used at a time? !!!? (Well Thats Fantastic):mad:

Maybe thats why "Windmill2" seems to be the best setting for black sand here...Maybe theres another upgraydd coming down the pipe...:?:.

But I have heard elsewhere that the 800 really does scan all freq at once and then comes up with the best for that mode by taking a combination resulting in

Park becomes 7.8K and 39K
Beach becomes 7.8k and 18.5 k.

So what is one to really believe? As vferrari told me to not to worry too much about the exact details since it is what it is which ever is the correct information.

I bet the Minelab engineers get a laugh over tea when they read all of our speculations. No telling what the Minelab marketing department wonks think when they read our speculations. Maybe they are getting new marketing copy from the forums for the Equinox 1000?

Gosh, I can't imagine how your marriage could possibly be in jeopardy. :roll:
Anyway, funny stuff! I was internally laughing the whole way through, but for some reason, the thing that got me to bust a real chuckle was the "five chihuahuas". :laughing:
So funny, yet so sad. You have a talent Maxxkatt.

Haha that’s a great play by play. I know where you were Kani House by chance? Ate there once for lunch when it first opened. I try to avoid MOG at all costs during holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here I thought I was the only guy out there to surf the forums while the wife and friends babble on about what-ever. Great story!

Actually, I have a friend I can subtly send a text with no message. He will immediately call my cell. I tell my wife and her friends I just had an emergency call and must return it. When I was working she believed it. Now she knows I've had all I can take and need to go out and smoke. It could be 1 cigarette or if especially strange friends 1/2 pack while I check email and forums!

Well now that's funny as h*** but did you know that the fish taco was actually invented by Carlos Imaguri in a Mexinese restaurant in Georgia?? Did you catch the Hibachi guy's name??

Back
Top Bottom