My Very First Indian and Barber dime!!

penneyrich

Hunted a church lot with a buddy on Saturday. Lots of trash. Found a silver colored piece of "junk" and couldn't see it because I didn't have my glasses. Almost threw it away! Then about 6' from it I found the Indian. I showed my buddy the Indian and asked him if he could see if there was writing on the silver "junk". He said "Dude, where did you find this? This is a Barber dime!" Apparently the dime was a burn victim in past fire. I wish the dime was in better shape, but it is cool that it tells a story of the past. I couldn't be more pleased with these two great finds!

Attachments

• 1907 Indian and Barber Dime.jpg
    1907 Indian and Barber Dime.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 261
Penneyrich... you gotta start wearing your glasses every time, or
Take that hunting partner with you every time, or
Don’t throw away questionable item till you check them at home with your glasses or a magnifier. I wonder how much that “literally toasted” Barber dime weighs now compared to its original weight.
Nice finds by the way. Ground too frozen here and a wicked wind chill today.

Jim

Last edited:
That's a really cool find. Congrats on the IHP and the Barber. Every thing has a story to tell, and that a good one.

Congrats on a great hunt. I did the same thing, this past spring I dug what I thought was a piece of melted aluminum under a tree root and after rooting around I finally got it out and said dang it. The tone was good, numbers good, Oh well. I'm glad I cleaned it up, you could just make out one dime on the back. Almost pitched it. And a better example if you read member Chipk 's post he thought he had a piece of scrap aluminum and it turned out to be a one in a million find. That said great save and congrats. Your 1909 wheat, any mintmark on it? HH Mark

Congrats on the finds!
That Barber has character

My first Morgan dollar that I’d dug had been in a fire. Came out of the ground brown and porous. Also dug a fire-bitten seated quarter.

Hunted a church lot with a buddy on Saturday. Lots of trash. Found a silver colored piece of "junk" and couldn't see it because I didn't have my glasses. Almost threw it away! Then about 6' from it I found the Indian. I showed my buddy the Indian and asked him if he could see if there was writing on the silver "junk". He said "Dude, where did you find this? This is a Barber dime!" Apparently the dime was a burn victim in past fire. I wish the dime was in better shape, but it is cool that it tells a story of the past. I couldn't be more pleased with these two great finds!

Congrats, I would have been more than pleased if I found those in my hunting areas.

Back
Top Bottom