Georgia Treasure Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taylor County
Carsonville
While looking for a different location I came across Carsonville, this town was located near the border of three neighboring counties, but I believe I pinned down to correct one for its actual location. One source claimed it was in Upson County, but it isn’t. Carsonville is an old crossroads community that today could easily be classified as a ghost town location. The area should offer some good hunting for someone who wishes to check it out.
Photos Included:​
A map of Taylor County with a mark placed in the general area of the old town site, the google map should go a long ways towards helping one find the location. The satellite image shows what the area looks like today.

Attachments

• taylor carsonville GA.JPG
    taylor carsonville GA.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,590
  • carsonville google map GA.JPG
    carsonville google map GA.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,504
  • carsonville satellite view GA.JPG
    carsonville satellite view GA.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 2,572
Decatur County
Doubtful Recovery
Recovery is today listed as a ghost town location, it does appear on maps from the 1890’s. What brought about the end of this community? Today there looks to be an area on the satellite image that could be an old cemetery and some fields to the west. This forgotten location could provide some interesting metal detecting.
A map of Decatur County with a red dot marking the site of a town no longer there, a google map shows local road details, while the satellite image shows the region as it appears today.

Attachments

• decatur Recovery GA.JPG
    decatur Recovery GA.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,480
  • Recovery google map GA.JPG
    Recovery google map GA.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,335
  • Recovery satellite view GA.JPG
    Recovery satellite view GA.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 2,425
Miller County
Twilight
Twilight was an old town that is listed as a ghost town location today. After some looking around I believe I found the location of the old town site, it is marked with a red dot on the google map, the area could hold old foundations and the fields also would make interesting places to check out.
A map of Miller County with a mark placed in the general area of Twilight, a google map shows a Twilight Road which should lead to the old town site at the intersection marked with the red dot. A satellite image shows what the area looks like today.

Attachments

• Twilight satellite view GA.JPG
    Twilight satellite view GA.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 2,373
  • Twilight google map GA.JPG
    Twilight google map GA.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,422
  • miller Twilight GA.JPG
    miller Twilight GA.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 2,385
Johnson County
Meadows Station
The ghost town of Meadows Station also went by the name of Spann, it was located along the railroad to the southwest of Wrightsville. Today there doesn’t appear to be much here to indicate that a town was ever here, it just might be worth the time to check out.
A map of Johnson County with a red dot marking the old town site, a google map shows some road details for the area. A satellite image provides a glimpse of what it looks like today.

Attachments

• johnson Meadows Station GA.JPG
    johnson Meadows Station GA.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 2,419
  • Meadows Station google map GA.JPG
    Meadows Station google map GA.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 2,382
  • Meadows Station satellite view GA.JPG
    Meadows Station satellite view GA.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 2,421
Camden County
Silco
The town once known as Silco is today considered a ghost town, it does show up on maps from the 1890’s. The region was very sparsely populated during the Civil War and it would be safe to assume that the town was never really very big, my guess is that it did have a corner store at the intersection and maybe even a few other businesses. Today there doesn’t appear to be much in the area, but the site could prove to be untouched by a metal detector due to it is little known.
A portion of map of Camden County with a red dot marking the location of the old town of Silco, another map shows the area and some of the easier to find nearby locations. The satellite image shows what the old town of Silco looks like today.

Attachments

• Silco satellite view GA.jpg
    Silco satellite view GA.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 2,403
  • Silco GA area map.jpg
    Silco GA area map.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 2,337
  • camden Silco GA.jpg
    camden Silco GA.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 2,365
Georgia Book Cover
This one is still in progress and we came up with a book cover. I figured why not a book on treasure stories! The cover has some images that are Georgia, the Stars and Bars, the Dahlonega gold coin, a turkey track (a sign often taken to mean there is buried treasure close by), and some native clay pots, after all there are many stories of buried Cherokee gold hidden before they were forced on the infamous “Trail of Tears” forced march. Currently still adding more stories to this volume, and yes they are not ones posted here at Friendly Metal Detecting, these are all new material with maps and interesting photos.

Attachments

• Georgia TS.jpg
    Georgia TS.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 2,262
Warren County
Indian Hill
This one is another listed ghost town located on Indian Hill Road near Bull Creek. The satellite view shows a vast empty area of fields. I believe at one time a church was located here as well.

Attachments

• Indian Hill area map.jpg
    Indian Hill area map.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2,241
  • Indian Hill satellite view.jpg
    Indian Hill satellite view.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 2,205
Its been awhile since I posted in this one, so today I am adding a preview of Georgia Treasure Stories (the book). I am currently proof reading it prior to going to the printer. This one is somewhere in Towns County.
Looks different than a posted story, plus one can relax in bed to some interesting reading.

Attachments

• Georgia preview.jpg
    Georgia preview.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,170
Whitfield County
Rocky Face Mountain’s Golden Hoard

This is a very famous Northern Georgia treasure that has been found but never found a second time. A man had found a cave opening and entered it. Inside he discovered what he claimed was 1,000 bars of gold of unusual size. They were 9 inches by 9 inches by 6 feet long! These are thought to be of Cherokee origin and that when they were forced off their lands they covered over the cave opening. This is also the area that was heavily fought over during the Civil War.
Whitfield County is the location of this large hoard of gold bars. Buzzard's Roost was the scene of heavy fighting during the Civil War, not tied to the gold hoard, but still of interest to relic hunters. Dug Gap another Civil War site fought over was below Rocky Face, if I am correct Rocky Face appears in this old drawing.
That is in fact Rocky face. I have climbed the left side and that divide is obvious while in there. It is wooded now... I have pictures of the top of it with the rocks piled up on top for civil war trenches!

Whitfield County
Rocky Face Mountain’s Golden Hoard

This is a very famous Northern Georgia treasure that has been found but never found a second time. A man had found a cave opening and entered it. Inside he discovered what he claimed was 1,000 bars of gold of unusual size. They were 9 inches by 9 inches by 6 feet long! These are thought to be of Cherokee origin and that when they were forced off their lands they covered over the cave opening. This is also the area that was heavily fought over during the Civil War.
Whitfield County is the location of this large hoard of gold bars. Buzzard's Roost was the scene of heavy fighting during the Civil War, not tied to the gold hoard, but still of interest to relic hunters. Dug Gap another Civil War site fought over was below Rocky Face, if I am correct Rocky Face appears in this old drawing.

Pictures from Rocky Face for your book! First one is looking from the left side of the face toward the east. Others are the rocks piled up during the civil war for defense.

Attachments

• IMG00030.jpg
    IMG00030.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 2,157
  • IMG00029.jpg
    IMG00029.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 2,185
  • IMG00027.jpg
    IMG00027.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 2,217
  • IMG00025.jpg
    IMG00025.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 2,123
  • IMG00031.jpg
    IMG00031.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 2,218
Pictures from Rocky Face for your book! First one is looking from the left side of the face toward the east. Others are the rocks piled up during the civil war for defense.

Thats real nice of you, they are great looking photos. Ironically I just finished proof reading the book today and it will be off to the printers. There could be a use for them just the same in another project I have to develope.
Thank You!

@ h20Dawgs....Have you ever searched this site at Rocky Face? I am new to MD'ing and live in Kennesaw and looking for places to try...just curious.

Thanks

Dahlonega gold coins found

Also found in 2004 were gold coins from Dahlongega on the steamship bound for New Orleans: Link to article: http://www.gmanews.tv/story/95191/Rare-gold-coins-found-in-sunken-steamship-off-US-coast

Portion of article:
"Last year, four Louisiana residents salvaged hundreds of gold coins and thousands of silver coins from wreckage the SS New York, submerged in about 60 feet (18 meters) of water in the Gulf of Mexico, said David Bowers, co-chairman of Stack's Rare Coins.

"Some of these are in uncirculated or mint condition," Bowers said, and predicted the best could bring $50,000 to $100,000 (€32,310 to €64,630) apiece at auction..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom