Gloves?

Roger B

Forum Supporter
Does anyone know if there are metal detecting gloves or if there are any that are good for MDing? I like to dig with my hands a lot to protect my finds and they get quite dirty.
Thanks

I know two people that use auto mechanic gloves. I'd use a pair myself if they made a size big enough. I just use leather gloves, but only if I feel the need for them. They've kept me from getting cut on more than one occasion.

I wear some Wells Lamont that have full leather palms and fingers with a mesh back and Velcro wrist closure. Won't go out without them. The glass'll git ya if you don't watch out,

I bought 2 pair of "Mechanix" gloves at PEP Boys for like 9.99 each...one for the truck and figured they fit well might use the other pair for MDing...

they have a mix of leather, spandex and mesh type materials with a velcro wrist strap

I went to Lowe's and got a pair of general use utility gloves with Velcro wrist straps, similar to the ones that trobaughokc and bullofspadez use.

bullofspadez said:
I bought 2 pair of "Mechanix" gloves at PEP Boys for like 9.99 each...one for the truck and figured they fit well might use the other pair for MDing...

they have a mix of leather, spandex and mesh type materials with a velcro wrist strap

Wow mechanix for $9.99 thats cheap. They are usually twice that much I'd stock up on a few pair if I was you. Even on ebay they go for more than that with shipping.
They closed all the pep boys around me in SE MI years ago save for one about 15 miles away, I'll have to head over there some time.
I agree, mechanix are the way to go for MD'ing.
Tough, but the leave you with good tactile feel, and they're not too hot.

I found a pair of Kobalt machanics gloves at Ace hardware for like a couple bucks, Leather with nesh backing and velcro straps to tighten them, Even has double leather in the palm area, light and easy on the hands, Wouldn't go without them anymore. smg

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I went Auto Zone and picked up a pair of mechanics gloves for $19. I will probably only use the right handed one to search the hole during the warmer months and use both when it gets cold again.

I use a type of gardening glove.

If you go to Home Depot, they sell a glove that is a white fabric, but seems to have been dipped in some kind of rubberized material. The ones I use are white and the rubbery material is blue. They come in small, medium, and large, and cost about 5 bucks.

Carol K said:
I use a type of gardening glove.

If you go to Home Depot, they sell a glove that is a white fabric, but seems to have been dipped in some kind of rubberized material. The ones I use are white and the rubbery material is blue. They come in small, medium, and large, and cost about 5 bucks.

Do they have little pink bunnies on them ? :lol:

*Hoping Carol can take a joke*

No, I know the ones your talking about.
I use them on some of my scaffolding jobs when keeping a good grip in important.
Aren't they a bit hot, and prone to getting soaked, for detecting ?

Roger...
(I'm not sure if I posted this in the new forum or the old forum or not, but just in case it's not in here,) I want to bring this to your attention.
This is a picture of something I dug up that demands gloves, if you like to get your hands dirty:

Attachments

• Arrows.JPG
    Arrows.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 450
I know you've already bought gloves, but just my 2 cents ....

I use a garden type glove as well. I get mine at Family Dollar and they have little brown rubber dots all over them. Helps keep the warmth in, allows for some sensitivity and gripping ablility and they can be washed. Depends on your preference, though.

And NO, they're not pink ... but it's one of my favorite colors. :lol:

I use a pair of neoprene gloves I bought at a sporting goods store. I hunt a lot in water so something that dries quickly and protects is what I need. So far I've had no nicks or cuts and they're comfortably warm and dry. Once it gets hot I may shuck them for something else, though.

And while you are at it, getting a tetanus booster shot is not a bad
investment. As a matter of fact, I'd put it higher on the priority list
than a pair of gloves.

I use a pair of neoprene gloves that i bought for fishing,they have the top part of the fingers that you can pull back so that you can tie knots on the line etc,hence they are great for adjusting the setting on your detector,then you pull the fingers back down and voila they keep your hand warm again :!:

Rick...

i havent been wearing gloves. But the thought has crossed my mind...recently went digging in a place with alot of glass.

Think about it!!!! Not 100 % certain of whats down there, don't know what else may be there, dirt, bacteria thrive in trash and dirt. No Brainer!!!!!!!!

BTW, this past winter I came down with a serious infection in the bloodstream. Cause unknown. I had fever over 104, severe swelling in both legs where standing up was excruciating. I looked like I had been beaten with a bat below the waist. I turned black & blue from the severe bruising caused by the swelling. I was almost hospitalized. The best guess by the Doc's is it may have been from a splinter with the right bug attached to it. I am a cabinetmaker (37 yrs.) and have had 10's of thousands of them, and rarely even get a cold. This was one for the books. Play it safe!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom