New with questions?

SargentClad

I recently purchased a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver and started detecting. I know this is a starter model, but I wanted to see if I liked it before I invest in a better model. In my first week I found 65 clad coins, no silver yet. My question is as far as coin hunting goes is this machine ok, or is there a big difference with a better machine? It descriminates Iron, al, zinc and coins. Also I was wondering does gold give you a strong nickel tone? Any help is appreciated, I'm hooked!

Welcome aboard Sarge.... I do not have your type of machine, although many here do and will be along soon to help you. Mostly, I see good reports on the Bounty Hunter... HH RickO

Welcome to the forum Sarge. Glad to have you and hope you'll stay around. Winter's coming in Michigan...better get to digging now!!!!

Like Rick, I don't have a BHQS...but have heard good things on this forum about them.

Your question: "...as far as coin hunting goes is this machine ok, or is there a big difference with a better machine?", seems to answer itself. Depending on the length of time swinging, 65 coins in a week for a new MDer with a new MD isn't bad at all. Yes, there are significant differences between an entry level detector an the "higher end" machines. However, the learning curve in this hobby can close the gap pretty quickly...a rookie with a DFX, for example, is rarely going to "out hunt" and experienced MDer who's using a BHQS. I think you've got a good machine with which to learn.

There's lots of help here. Using the advanced search engine to cruise the forums can give you plenty of insight regarding techniques, etc. Don't be afraid to ask ANYTHING...everyone here will help you. We all started one time too.

Respectfully,

John (Lowjiber)

It seems to be working for you.

It sounds like you are doing a great job, keep it up.

Many people hunt with entry level machines for years and never "upgrade". My hunting buddy has always used a BH Tracker IV, and he does really, really well. I have gone through many machines some cheaper and some more expensive. On any given day we take turns out hunting each other its all about where you are standing and how you are swinging. He has taken the time to learn his machine.

Higher prices will give you some nice features like notching and better target separation as well as some more depth. For coin shooting in the parks 4-6" on a quarter seems to be most adequate and it keeps the grounds keepers off of your back too.

Hang in there you are doing really well for a new person to the hobby.

Don'y underestimate the Bounty Hunter either...I hav a BH Tracker IV and it had suprised me several times. Just yesterday I was in my backyard and
it kept giving a solid signal in this one spot, I had it in all metal mode digging everything. After about ten minutes and almost two foot down I finally found it.......a very old...BEER CAN...so the BH do have decent depth..

I started with a bounty hunter also because I usually loose interest in things pretty fast, But have been at it for about 3 months now and still go every chance I get. I have had pretty good luck with the bounty hunter. I am thiking of upgrading to a Tesoro since it does not look like I am going to lose interest in this hobby. I have a great time detecting

Back
Top Bottom