This hand trowel DIGS !

fastforty

Hey, I don't get excited about a hand trowel very often (never have before, come to think of it). I've been through a lotta garden trowels in my 43 years & none of them were anything more then glorified pokers. I picked up this Fiskars hand trowel at Kmart last week for 5 or 6 bucks, and man does it DIG. It works like a miniature backhoe, especially well in my baked, hard packed soil. I've never had a shovel that felt like it was doing the work for me, until now. It appears to be cast aluminum/alloy & would cut a 4" diameter circle in three insertions into turf (not that we cut full circles, that's a size description). The blade is about 1/8" thick (sharpened all the way around), & it weighs about 3/4 of a pound. It's a pretty strong & hefty hand tool.

Attachments

• Trowel1.JPG
    Trowel1.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 616
  • Trowel2.JPG
    Trowel2.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 582
Looks nice. I wouldn't mind trying it, but the hard Oklahoma dirt here would probably break it in the first hour. Trust me, I've broken three just this year. However, I bought a Lesche digger two months ago (and finally got to use it last night) and I think it will at least last the year. But if you live in a soft soil area, I feel this just might work well for you. Nice pics.

Okie I got The Fiskars garden knife that was mentioned in another post. It digs great and the blade will never break but the handle will. I broke the handle off the first one and they replaced it . When I broke the second one I just fixed it for good. The weak point is small spot welds at the handle joint. I took off the rubber handle, and welded on a solid 5/8 rod. I then put the rubber handle on. It will now handle Okie dirt. Rob

I looked for those before I bought the Lesche but they don't sell them here. Oh well.

I hate to pop anyone's bubble here... But our job is to cut a hole to where it looks like we were never there and the shape of that trowel just isn't conducive to a small incision. I use a tool made for our hobby... sure they are expensive but they are for our hobby. TonyCt@TC Metal Detectors sells tools made for our hobby and doesn't charge a arm and a leg for them. When I dig my target my hole is 2 inches across with the digger Tony sold me I can go deep as I have to. I sharpen it before every hunt so it stays sharp.

I agree with that somewhat Craig. But the area I detect determines the tools I use. If the ground is soft, I will cut a nice little plug around my target and pull the plug out. I dig the rest of the dirt out and put it on a towel. When I'm done, no one even knows I was there. If I'm in a pasture somewhere, I may use a shovel. Even then I'm usually careful about it being visible. As long as it looks good when you're done, I don't have a problem digging a big hole. Nobody's complained yet :grin:

OD

I don't hunt in pastures and was directing my answer towards hunting in residential area's or parks... We don't have pastures around here lol.... We used to but now they are all condo's and commercial lots. ;)

I used this tool for quite a while, but have gone to just carrying a screwdriver. The handle is really sturdy, but I snapped the tip off in a school yard. Yeah, this Oklahoma dirt is that hard. :roll:

I ground the tip back down to a sharp edge and still carry it in the truck, but since I got the VibraProbe, the screwdriver is the tool of choice.

Craig, I used to live in Houston so I know exactly what you're talking about. Urban sprawl is amazing.

trobaughokc, no joke about the OK dirt. I've actually had to use a rock hammer before! That's tough digging.

I use 3 different tools. I have a $10 digger from TonyinCt that was a freebie with my detector. It is a great tool, and I can cut small plugs as well as scoop out the dirt. The wife got me a Lesche digger, and while it cuts great, is flat bladed, and not the best at scooping out the dirt after removing a plug. For smaller holes, I sometimes use both of the above. My best tool is a Lesche "Mauler", which is capable of as small as an 8" diameter plug up to 12" deep. I keep it sharp, and when I replace the dirt, it is almost as invisible as the smaller plug. I am just able to do things faster. I do not even carry it when I am in more "sensitive" areas.

I also bought the Fiskars Big Grab mentioned in an earlier post -- it's like the one pictured here, but narrower, longer and has a serrated edge. I love it and it also DIGS. Even in the north Texas baked dirt! I couldn't find one at a retail store and ended up ordering one on-line.

I use a shovel... :shock:

Ok before everybody freeks out I'll explain myself:

I only go MD'n in areas where it doesn't matter how much damage I do like the school yard thats soon to be flattened and the hole property dug up and made into condo's here in town, or pastures/farmers fields, or beach sand.

The reason I do this is because I don't want to spoil the hoby for other MD'ers by leaving poorly fixed plugs in plublic parks and private property. I'll eventually move to these type of hunts but I figured I would pratice making plugs where I can hone my replacement technique without fear of reprisals.

Z

Fastfourty, I've broke one of these as well as their garden knife If you break yours it will break at the bottom of the handle. The knike was easy to weld because it is steel. The handle inside the soft material is shaped like a + and is the weak point. Rob

I used one of these today for the first time. It worked great in packed beach sand. Inexpensive and a nice addition to my "tool box".

Wilcox are good diggers. Most of you already know this but if you take a file or grinder and cut notches (like a saw blade) into one side of your digger it helps cut thru small tree roots easier.

Back
Top Bottom