Coinstar Mercury...Someone's Mistake?

diggin4clad

Elite Member
checked a Coinstar this morning and there was nothing in the tray but on top of the machine was a nice looking 1945-D Mercury dime...my 9th silver coin from Coinstar this year. I'm guessing that the person cashing in their coins found this in the reject tray, thought it was a foreign coin and left it for someone else.

Attachments

• IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 511
:wow2: Congrats on the CS merc, Ed! :hi5: I, too, have found coins sitting on the tray, although they have always been foreign. :lol:

checked a Coinstar this morning and there was nothing in the tray but on top of the machine was a nice looking 1945-D Mercury dime...my 9th silver coin from Coinstar this year. I'm guessing that the person cashing in their coins found this in the reject tray, thought it was a foreign coin and left it for someone else.

I found a Merc the same way earlier this year, on the shelf, not in the reject bin. I thought it was a bit strange, but as you said, someone probably thought it a foreign coin.

Diggin4clad, I'm very new at this so I don't know all the terms...At the risk of sounding stupid, What is a Coinstar...???

:woot: Congrats on the silver, Ed!
Thank you.....

Diggin4clad, I'm very new at this so I don't know all the terms...At the risk of sounding stupid, What is a Coinstar...???
Coinstar is a machine usually found in supermarkets and Walmart that counts your loose change. You pay a fee (usually around 10%) for this service. Rejected coins fall into a reject tray and occasionally the person using the machine forgets to take the rejects with them when they're done.

What a dummy I am...I never knew they were called that...I'll have to start checking trays now...
Check them and sooner or later you'll get something.

Lol D4C you kill me with the coinstar silver!!! I barely find clad!!!
Truthfully, I can't even understand why I'm getting so many silver coins from coinstars…...but I'm not complaining:woohoo:

Pete... some machines offer gift cards, like at AMAZON and do not take a percentage of your Coinstar 'dump' when you choose the gift card option.

Jim

Their loss, your gain. :lol:
Absolutely.....:yes:

Congrats on the Merc, and in good condition too ! :thumbsup:

…...maybe it was a teenager who never saw one before ? :lol:
Quite possibly a teenager or even someone who wasn't around when silver coins were still being minted. Spend a Kennedy half or Ike dollar and many times the cashier doesn't know what you're handing them.

Back
Top Bottom