What can you tell me about this blank?

donnyjaguar

Howdy, I found what I believe to be a rifle blank on the weekend. My camera is whipped so I'll try to describe it. Length 2-5/8" long, 7/16" diameter. The markings on the bottom are a small circle with cross-hatch, "IVI" (possibly "IAI") and "70". Most interested in the date and type of rifle, if that can be determined with such sketchy information. Thanks!

IVI is Canadian headstamp, used 1967-1980, circle with cross inside means it was made for Nato. Length isn't that useful in case of blanks as some of them are crimped and are roughly same length as an empty case and some blanks have longer case with a 'bullet like' extension. But considering the date and Nato use it's probably a .308 blank.

Voriax

Wow, that was fast! Okay, that rules out the area as being used for military training during WWII. If its NATO does that mean is must have been used in a military rifle? I believe this area was used for movies in the past so possibly it was the site of a "gun battle" 30 or 40 years ago? Yes, location is Canada. FWIW, found silver 1950 25 cent piece about 30ft from this cartridge.

Well yeah, it was meant for military use but of course it may have ended up in civilian hands as surplus round. It is somewhat impossible to say for what weapon it was meant..there are lots and lots of military weapons that use/used .308's.
Canada used their own version of FN Fal battle rifle back then (FN C1A1 being most common) Google a bit a you will find loads of info about FN Fal.

Voriax

Back
Top Bottom