Any extra Pin-Pointers?

jonal

Hello folks,
See, I know I'm really sounding like a free-loader here, but I am too young to get a job, and just spent most of my savings on a laptop, so if any of you have an extra pin-pointer that they don't use anymore, or maybe they bought one and don't like to use it, could you consider letting me purchase it for a waaaay below MSRP price?
( wow that was a long sentence :D )
Thanks for looking and please PM me if you can help me out here.
-Jonal

Cuz...you need to get creative.

I started cleaning up yards and mowing for cash when I was 11 or 12. Washing cars, sweeping driveways, etc. Also, look through your closet and you would be surprised what you can sell on ebay for good money.

Nothing in life is free.

Good luck.

Cuz...you need to get creative.

I started cleaning up yards and mowing for cash when I was 11 or 12. Washing cars, sweeping driveways, etc. Also, look through your closet and you would be surprised what you can sell on ebay for good money.

Nothing in life is free.

Good luck.

Gotta agree there. It would mean more to you after working hard to earn it. Even if you start with a HF pinpointer, under $15, you should be able to earn that in a weekend. Good luck!

I believe Harbor Freight stores sell a cheap pin pointer for less than $25. It doesn't have as much of a range as say the Garrett Pro Pointer but better than nothing as a starter unit. Good luck in your hunt.

I was out of town a year or two ago with my fiancee visiting here family and brand new nephew. Since they were pretty much staying home w/newborn, I hit local schools with my metal detector. An hour or two here and there over a few days and I left with $11 even in clad (once I hit the upper $10 range I had to stay just to hit 11...haha). Money is literally laying on the ground.

If you have a working metal detector and have permission to leave the house, etc. you may want to try playgrounds/tot-lots. It always seems like clad is everywhere at those....I see a few gold rings found there now and again as well.

Not to nerd out too much but have you ever sat down and written up a budget for stuff vs. cash in hand? It is always an eye opener no matter what level you are at.

I'm almost 38 and I still remember working for hobby/fun money when I was a kid. I always had cool stuff and really appreciated it because I learned the true value of working and what a dollar meant. Sure, a pack of skittles is great but if you figure they cost $1.50, you would have to work for 12 minutes to pay for them at wage of $7.50 per hour.

Now think of a $50 video game....that is almost 7 hours of working...gotta keep expenditures in perspective.

Sorry to ramble.

I was out of town a year or two ago with my fiancee visiting here family and brand new nephew. Since they were pretty much staying home w/newborn, I hit local schools with my metal detector. An hour or two here and there over a few days and I left with $11 even in clad (once I hit the upper $10 range I had to stay just to hit 11...haha). Money is literally laying on the ground.

If you have a working metal detector and have permission to leave the house, etc. you may want to try playgrounds/tot-lots. It always seems like clad is everywhere at those....I see a few gold rings found there now and again as well.

Not to nerd out too much but have you ever sat down and written up a budget for stuff vs. cash in hand? It is always an eye opener no matter what level you are at.

I'm almost 38 and I still remember working for hobby/fun money when I was a kid. I always had cool stuff and really appreciated it because I learned the true value of working and what a dollar meant. Sure, a pack of skittles is great but if you figure they cost $1.50, you would have to work for 12 minutes to pay for them at wage of $7.50 per hour.

Now think of a $50 video game....that is almost 7 hours of working...gotta keep expenditures in perspective.

Sorry to ramble.

If he follows your advice, you just gave him something worth way more than a pinpointer.

The Harbor Freight pinpointer is actually pretty good. Needs a couple of simple mods, but works well. I never sent my ProPointer in, second time it failed. The HF works well enough, don't need an extra inch, or fancy effects. Might call them up, after the new model starts selling good, see if they do a trade-up deal...

If you learn to pinpoint with your detector, the handheld is a convenience, not really a must have. Some people like to look at the hobby, in terms of productivity (work), or a competition. I just do it for fun, though it's great to pull out silver and gold, just not need driven.

Curb strips produce good coin as well. If you know the area, convenience stores, bars, liquor stores, and the most direct path to affordable housing (low rent), are very productive. Seems like a lot of keys lost there as well...

Anyway, I understand about wanting to pick up someone's spare on the cheap, but you probably have enough, or could dig up enough for a HF pinpointer. Can't expect a luxury accessory to be simply given away. Happens, but not very often.

I was going to comment about the Harbor Freight PP, but I see some people beat me to it. If you get a 20% off coupon, you could get that one really cheap.

When I was younger, I made money by hunting nightcrawler worms and selling them to fishermen for $2 a dozen. I also did yard work for people, and sold stuff I didn't want at garage sales.

Hello folks,
See, I know I'm really sounding like a free-loader here, but I am too young to get a job, and just spent most of my savings on a laptop, so if any of you have an extra pin-pointer that they don't use anymore, or maybe they bought one and don't like to use it, could you consider letting me purchase it for a waaaay below MSRP price?
( wow that was a long sentence :D )
Thanks for looking and please PM me if you can help me out here.
-Jonal

What equipment do you have? You might add that to your signature....My Delta doesn't really require a pin-pointer, it is spot on. Just have to dig a little more and wave the dirt over the detector occasionally. If I had an extra pin-pointer, I would probably sell it...:bighanky:

Thank you all for the kind and informative replies to my query. I have enough for the HF PP, and I guess I may go ahead and purchase it.
Now think of a $50 video game
Haha, stopped playing those when I discovered MDing :lol:
What equipment do you have?
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Almost have enough for F2, so that's why I was looking for a PP.
Thanks again guys!
Jonal

Good luck buddy!

Harbor freight I modded works good enough for most any hole. I would like a better one but need a budget also.
I worked like a dog with my dad in the summers and started at 13. We logged, baled and bucked hay bales. Mowed lawns,I drove a log truck at 15 didn't even have a license.
Anything you could imagine that would be hard I did to help my mom and dad because I loved them dearly and Dad died early at 56 working himself to death.
I got cleaver and found a way to not work so hard and make more money. (Like going to school and learning something to make life easier) I never ask for hand outs I just worked and saved for everything I have.;) A few people here have helped me out but I never accept something free without a heartfelt thanks and would be happy to help them anyway I could to repay the kindness.

Jonals a good guy and been on awhile. I had an extra Garret pro pointer and some guy came in to chat and went on about needing one. Wasn't asking just talk. Like a dummy I messaged him and sent it to him free. Even paid the shipping......... like a dummy..... again. He received it and hasn't been back on here since. Wish I had sent it to you jonal. I won't send to anyone that isn't a regular on here anymore. Live n learn. Good luck, jonal......

What is it with this country, when a kid willing to work can't get a job? I delivered papers when I was 9 or 10. Got a quarter a house, if they wanted to pay it, and I thought that was good.

Damn. I was pretty dumb.

What is it with this country, when a kid willing to work can't get a job? I delivered papers when I was 9 or 10. Got a quarter a house, if they wanted to pay it, and I thought that was good.

Damn. I was pretty dumb.

Paper routes are now done by adults usually. Jobs are not easy now days. I am sure harder for kids too. Many adults are doing more baby sitting for extra cash. Those days of collecting bottles are slim pickens now. There are ways to make a buck as a kid..... just not that easy. City kids may be in Apt. So not much chance to mow lawns. Hope you find some work tho' jonal and get the pointer.

Paper routes are now done by adults usually. Jobs are not easy now days. I am sure harder for kids too. Many adults are doing more baby sitting for extra cash. Those days of collecting bottles are slim pickens now. There are ways to make a buck as a kid..... just not that easy. City kids may be in Apt. So not much chance to mow lawns. Hope you find some work tho' jonal and get the pointer.

I had a paper route a few years ago when I was 15. Paid $40/month, my route had about 100 papers a week. I didn't think that was a bad deal at all, considering I only had to deliver on Fridays and I could get it done within a couple of hours. I did, however, have to bag the papers myself- roll them up and shove them into plastic sleeves, before delivery. That took some extra time.

I know what you're saying about jobs being tough to get. The youngest the paper route place would take were 15-year-olds, and you had to have a work permit that was issued through the high school. Gone are the days when you can have a paper route at 6 years old like my grandpa says he did. And a lot of people don't want kids (or even adults for that matter) doing their lawn, because they're afraid of getting sued if the person gets hurt on their property. :( And chain/department stores are swamped (at least around here) with the number of applicants they get from college/high school students for sales floor positions. There are always restaurants but the positions aren't that good, a friend of mine told me she got harassed by older men when she was a waitress. :mad:

Cheap pointer...

Not sure if any recent postings but Harbor Freight has some pointers. You can also use a stud finder but will need to get the one that is switchable to look for metal screws and nails.

Contact a sponsor for a f2 with pp package and theres a mod on youtube to increase the depth of the pp as well

I remember i made a goose neck trailer that connected to the seat post of my bike that I used to lug a lawnmower weedwacker, abd a barrel. Boy was that heavy on a slight incline.

Back
Top Bottom