1958 D wheat cent

bobisgod13

i have found in my collection of wheat cents, a silver 1958 D wheat cent. I have read many forums about same but have come to no conclusion. the strike on both faces is clear and it is slightly responsive to a magnet (maybe 1/10 as responsive as a steel cent) another interesting fact is that it seems to be split in half.The obverse seems to fit inside the reverse

sounds like a counterfeit coin
this guy showed me a counterfeit silver peace dollar it also sticks to a magnet
got to wave my MD over it on the ground very weird signal

I have a similar penny mine is a 1959 D and mine appears to have a case over the heads side you can barely see the rim of the overlay on the back it is also silver colored and the front side slightly sticks to a magnet.

Is it a flipper coin used in magic tricks?

Or maybe one side is more weighted so that heads or tails, the weighted side would always land first?

mine seems like someone made a cast of a "heads" side of penny and pressed it on to a regular memorial. I can see where the magic trick comes in or a trick coin for coin toss purposes it makes sense. I got mine back in change a few years ago and it was given to me in place of a dime.

This may be a bit of a stupid question and being that I am only 23 and not too knowledgeable of the 50s, what exactly is a shoe penny? or is it self explanatory being a penny that is in a grove on top of the shoe near the toe?

Could be mine! I had this 1958 penny (don't remember if it had D on it) that my grandfather gave me when I was about 10 or so. And it had a silver color -- I'm thinking it has mercury put on it. Somehow it got spent I guess and disappeared! :shock: ;)

I had a hollowed out fake half of a penny from a magicians kit when I was a kid that fit over a dime and a handheld magnet would magically turn the penny into a dime. Maybe someone crammed one of those on another penny.

are you able to post pictures of the coin? maybe we can get a better determination if we could see it. I would post pictures of mine but regretfully it is a few thousand miles away back in oklahoma

Its possible that it has a ring around the rim that use to have a loop on it for a necklace. I have one like that I found in some coins from my grandmothers things. The rim attracts to a magnet as well, but the coin does not.

This may be a bit of a stupid question and being that I am only 23 and not too knowledgeable of the 50s, what exactly is a shoe penny? or is it self explanatory being a penny that is in a grove on top of the shoe near the toe?

Penny loafers, that oughta do it..........................

I had a hollowed out fake half of a penny from a magicians kit when I was a kid that fit over a dime and a handheld magnet would magically turn the penny into a dime. Maybe someone crammed one of those on another penny.

It was like this but probably dated in the 1970s

It cold be one of those with another penny crammed inside it, instead of the dime it was meant to conceal during a trick!
http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v13n41a14.html

5042706049_2e5fc0395d_m.jpg
5043330448_2b156eb2b3_m.jpg

Back
Top Bottom