Depth loss when discriminating iron

QuarterHoarder

I was out with my young son today. He was using an Ace 250 and was running in jewelry mode. All his targets were 4" and above and I know that little Ace can reach down to around 8" on a good day. We still pulled about 20 clads but all rather shallow for him. Do you really loose that much depth when you discrim or were his deeper targets just not there?

You are not loosing any depth notching out targets on an Ace 250. The target icon over iron, or any notched out target, still comes on even when it is notched out. the only thing missing is the sound. You are essentially running in all metal and choosing the targets you want to hear. My son uses an Ace 250 as well, it's a great entry level detector.

I had a different reply here but after thinking about it I was wrong to an extent. "Discrimination" does cost depth , but notch does not necessarily. Notch , as mentioned by someone else just quiets the detectors response to certain items. Discrimination and notch arent the same thing. On the ace if you notch something out you will still see the indicator light up even if it makes no sound. On an ace you dont have an independent discrimination setting like you do on some other detectors so your discrimination stays the same just certain target ranges are quiet when you set them to be. cappy is correct.

Also remember just because our machines can see deeper that doesn't mean that at all sites there are a whole lot of good targets that actually ARE deeper.
I have a machine that can hit 15" but the deepest I have ever found older coins so far has been about 7-8"...once.
All other old coins have been found at really old sites at a maximum of 6" or less...usually less.
Jewelry for me has been found more often than not at the same 6" or less area and again...usually less.
I have found somewhere around 35 or so gold targets and a few of them have been as deep as maybe 4 or 5", but 95% has been laying only in the 1-3" area and so have a huge amount of my clad.

Yep what Digger27 said, I had an amazing recovery at 8-9" of a copper lincoln and that's one of my deepest coins. Moist ground and a hot coil on my 705 that was tweaked out with advice from Randy a 705/Xterra expert field tester.

I'm very happy to dig a merc at 5". Dug old silver halfs at 2". Almost allways coins are 1" - 6". Most are in the plug and I'm so glad they are. I've been fooled by whole flat beer cans a foot deep and dug with the handheld lesche. A couple of those and I'm about done!
Tin

Back
Top Bottom