Shooting at the park while detecting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I don't need a gun to "protect" myself or my family. If it gives you courage, so be it. But as I stated before, this isn't the Old West. Those days are long gone. Gun laws are going to become stricter and stricter. We need to weed out all the unstable people who currently own them.

this is your "opinion" i don't agree! but i won't debate the reasons why i feel this way, because this is a "hobby" forum.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Your is an interesting viewpoint. So ready to become a victim at the hands of a criminal. Hope no one has to suffer for your failure to defend against armed criminals looking to do bodily harm.
Police are armed because they deal with the general population, which is not civil by any means. You and I have to deal with the same general population. I will defend myself, like the police do. You choose to be a victim as is your right to do so. Best of luck.

this is correct! the choice resides with you!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Sorry, I don't need a gun to "protect" myself or my family. If it gives you courage, so be it. But as I stated before, this isn't the Old West. Those days are long gone. Gun laws are going to become stricter and stricter. We need to weed out all the unstable people who currently own them.

You say you don't need a gun to protect yourself or family. But when you or your family is in danger, the first thing you will do is call someone who has a gun.

Growing up as a Yooper in the 70's and 80's gun violence was unheard of up there. If you went to any given block of 20 houses there was probably 50-100 guns with ammo between them and people never even bothered lock their doors. Of course everyone also knew that if you were to try something stupid you would be on the wrong end of one of them. I never even heard or anyone getting shot up there with the exception of the annual trips to deer camp when there are way too many cases of Old Mil shared and those were accidents of drunken stupidity and not intentional crimes. Never agreed with the idea that guns lead to wild west mentality. Typically the areas with the most guns per capita also have the lowest crime rates. You're typical criminal is a useless coward looking for a easy target and if they think you may be armed are going to pass right by you and look for granny down the street with arm loads of groceries and no one around.

Hopefully, the mods will lock this now political post, so I don't have to keep replying to this nonsense. Walking around with a gun strapped to you hip guarantees jack squat. Most assaults are committed from behind. You will never see it coming, so your pea shooter won't help you. Then the criminal will have YOUR gun to sell or give to another criminal. Are we about done here?

Triggered much eh? :-) Lots of smug and intolerant assumptions. Do as you wish. Oh yeah, we are done.

You say you don't need a gun to protect yourself or family. But when you or your family is in danger, the first thing you will do is call someone who has a gun

Wrong. I've never called the cops on anyone, ever. The last person who threatened me got a baseball bat upside his head. He's a good boy now and hasn't bothered me in 20 years...

What ever happened to Cannon aka "the fat man" ? Or how about Robert Blake aka "Barretta" ? Those were real tough guys !

Well JT I have a LTC but it’s actually better to let yourself get mugged in this state than shoot someone in self defense ! I know a person who fired just a warning shot in a situation where she felt threatened her life was made miserable for several years, she had her license revoked, court costs, fines and attorney fees nearly destroyed her family financially and the worst was that the attacker and her family tried to sue her! She had her license reinstated after more attorneys fees and court time, but why would she carry again?:mad: This state never makes it easy.

Oh and free bird IF she had used a ball bat her fate would have been the same, assault with a deadly weapon! You see as soon as she decided to defend herself instead of giving up her purse she was no longer a victim but an assailant! :?:

Wrong. You call Chuck Norris.

What ever happened to Cannon aka "the fat man" ? Or how about Robert Blake aka "Barretta" ? Those were real tough guys !

:laughing:
Reminded me back in the old days we didn't seem to have to worry as much about if it was safe to be outdoors in a park during the day...…
andygriffithopeningken_mud.jpg

…...but nowadays maybe it might help if you had a real tough looking hunting buddy to double as a bodyguard while you're detecting :laughing:
detecting_bodyguard_buddy.jpg

Oh and free bird IF she had used a ball bat her fate would have been the same, assault with a deadly weapon! You see as soon as she decided to defend herself instead of giving up her purse she was no longer a victim but an assailant! :?:
Oh man ! Cmon. Now my responses are pretty low , knowingly stupid just to get a laugh....but you even topped me on this one ! By your own statement. Since when does anybody who decides to defend themselves in a life or death situation become an assailant ? Sometimes ya gotta put another slug in to keep the perp down. Bulletproof vests , high on pcp , you don't know. Even Jerry Springer wouldn't sign off on this one...

Since when does anybody who decides to defend themselves in a life or death situation become an assailant ?

Hey, KOB! Believe it or not, there are actually LEO's and prosecutors that have that mindset. It's more about "improving" their conviction or arrest record than practicing common sense law.

Roger

What are you doing carrying a baseball bat? This isn't the wild west.

I had it in my home. He came to my door in the middle of the night. He was kicking my door and threatening to kill me. Bad idea...

Oh man ! Cmon. Now my responses are pretty low , knowingly stupid just to get a laugh....but you even topped me on this one ! By your own statement. Since when does anybody who decides to defend themselves in a life or death situation become an assailant ? Sometimes ya gotta put another slug in to keep the perp down. Bulletproof vests , high on pcp , you don't know. Even Jerry Springer wouldn't sign off on this one...

Well KOB here in MA if someone kicks in my back door, before I try to defend myself and property I’m supposed to make an effort to escape the threat before I defend myself.

Oh and free bird IF she had used a ball bat her fate would have been the same, assault with a deadly weapon! You see as soon as she decided to defend herself instead of giving up her purse she was no longer a victim but an assailant

That's the point I'm trying to make with the guys who think they have a right to shoot people in self-defense. Maybe you'll get away with it, but not if the cops think you're wrong. They will skew the police report and then you're up the creek.

P.S. I got two years probation and a three year suspended sentence for my "assault" on the person who came to my door and threatened to kill me. The cops never charged him with anything...

Well KOB here in MA if someone kicks in my back door, before I try to defend myself and property I’m supposed to make an effort to escape the threat before I defend myself.

Very interesting. I guess when I really think about it , there are all kinds of scenarios out there. And each state or jurisdiction has their own set of rules. Unfortunately , if you're dead , kinda hard to come back and defend yourself.

As far as home security maybe include a loud siren that can be heard by neighbors, I would think a perp is likely going to want to leave fast with all that attention.

how about stand-your ground law or castle doctrine

Very interesting. I guess when I really think about it , there are all kinds of scenarios out there. And each state or jurisdiction has their own set of rules. Unfortunately , if you're dead , kinda hard to come back and defend yourself.

Florida’s “Stand-Your-Ground” law was passed in 2005. The law allows those who feel a reasonable threat of death or bodily injury to “meet force with force” rather than retreat. Similar “Castle Doctrine” laws assert that a person does not need to retreat if their home is attacked.
Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine Laws - Bill of ...
billofrightsinstitute.org/educate/educator-resources/lessons-plans/current-events/stand-your-ground… States that have passed stand your ground laws include:
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
West Virginia
Note: Some states have adopted stand your ground-like doctrines through judicial interpretation of their self-defense laws -- but they're not included on this list.
States That Impose a Duty to Retreat
On the other end of the legal spectrum, some states impose a duty to retreat. A duty to retreat generally means that you can't resort to deadly force in self-defense if you can safely avoid the risk of harm or death (by walking away, for example). If that's not an option, say if you were cornered or pinned down and facing serious harm or death, then you would be authorized to use deadly force in self-defense.
It's important to note that, even in duty-to-retreat states, there's no duty to retreat from an intruder in your home. These states all adhere to some version of the castle doctrine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom