Hello to all

Thor

Hey I'm new to metal detecting. I actually have not even gotten a chance to go out. I bought a used Garrett Ace 300. Ever since I was a young lad I've always wanted a metal detector. I was always going out and hunting even though I never got one from my parents. Now that I'm older married and have my own daughter I thought this might be a fun thing for both my daughter and me to do together. I plan on getting her a kids model from the local store if she wants me to down the line.
But I'm really excited about getting out there and trying it out but I thought I would do a bit more research into metal detecting before I start. I accidentally found this forum while looking for tips on hunting and thought I'd join up for any help I could get.

Welcome to the forum Thor. You're right, metal detecting is a great family hobby.

Yeah I'll be sure to watch those videos. I just got back from hunting and I came across a few things. But of course nothing worthwhile. I found tinfoil at about 1/2 deep. I found 3 pop cans at around 1" down and a 80's beer can. I also found something huge and spent a lot of time digging about a 1'6" around but in the end decided to leave it be. It was close to 9" down or so.
I live in an appartment complex and right outside of my appartment when I came back to the park I found something. But according to the readout it was quite deep and I didn't know if I would get in trouble digging a hole outside my back door since it's a wide open area that is used for many of the apartment complexes in the area.

Welcome to the forum! Usually, if a target reads deep, and the signal is loud, it's a piece of large metal, like a pop can or a coffin or something.

Welcome to our detecting family. Hope you and your daughter get a chance to enjoy our hobby. Just one piece of advice. If she gets interested in detecting with you, get an inexpensive and light real detector and stay away from the "kids" detectors. Most of them would frustrate her, because of their inability to find much more than trash. I think Bounty Hunter makes one in the $50 range. Good luck with your detecting. There are a lot of friendly and helpful people here on this forum.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom