Winchester cartridge ID please!

Waveoff

Elite Member
I was out in the woods today trying out the used E-TRAC I just picked up and found this stripper clip of bullets. I'm pretty sure they're .30-06 but I couldn't find anything on this particular headstamp after quite a bit of googling. Would the 28 be the date of manufacture? If anyone could provide more information I would appreciate it!

tjxGtxy.jpg

tcC6Mk9.jpg

I was out in the woods today trying out the used E-TRAC I just picked up and found this stripper clip of bullets. I'm pretty sure they're .30-06 but I couldn't find anything on this particular headstamp after quite a bit of googling. Would the 28 be the date of manufacture? If anyone could provide more information I would appreciate it!
Yep! They are .30-06, and they were manufactured in 1928. The stripper clip that they are in would indicate that they were intended for use in a 1903 Springfield or P-17 Enfield rifle.

Thinking the WRA is Winchester Repeating Arms. I concur the 03 Springfield is then only 30-06 i can think of that would use stripper clips.

I believe you guys are correct. Thats a pretty cool find. A full stripper clip of live rounds of that age.

Yep! They are .30-06, and they were manufactured in 1928. The stripper clip that they are in would indicate that they were intended for use in a 1903 Springfield or P-17 Enfield rifle.

Thinking the WRA is Winchester Repeating Arms. I concur the 03 Springfield is then only 30-06 i can think of that would use stripper clips.

I believe you guys are correct. Thats a pretty cool find. A full stripper clip of live rounds of that age.

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone! The site I found this at was obviously a shooting range or target practice area at some point. I've found hundreds of late 1800's/early 1900's bullets/shell casings/shotgun headstamps here as well as some decent old coins. I tried knocking on the neighbor's door a few times where I believe the firing line may have been but they never answer. I think they might think I'm trying to sell them something!:lol:

When KT had a Springfield 30-06, He had several of those stripper clips set up with reloads and it looked exactly like that. Check and see if that stripper clip is brass. KT used to clean them in a vibrator tumbler in walnut hulls...they shine up real pretty!

Back
Top Bottom