new to the game

dexter0606

Just wanted to say hello from the state of mississippi. I've only done this a few times (3) so any info would be appreciated. I am using a Lonestar and have already gotten some weird responses. For instance, the 3 clad quarters i picked up from a playground/park was read as silver. Any help on why? Anyway, would write more but I'm gonna try out a ballfield. :lol:

Welcome Dex... glad to have you!
waytogo.gif

Hay Dexter,

Your metal detector is makeing an estimation of the conductivity of the object.
If it is bigger or more, it might register higher than less material.
The machine responds reliably, but there are a lot of factors, like depth, soil condition and the materials that try to mask the objects.
Best thing to do is keep your discrimination very low until you can interprite the responses with your brain that is connected to your ears.
You need to recover thousands of tragets to get a handle on it.
Sound hard? Well, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it. But it's nothing that persistance can not handle. It's easy but involved.

Keep it low and slow,

Hi Dexter.

I own a Lonestar too.

The display is OK : all US coins except Zn 1c and nickels will register to the right of the display.

At the same time, silver coins and rings will also register there.

So the high tone is the key : quarters, halves, dimes and older silver coinage plus silver jewelry will all register at the same place on the display, inducing all a high tone.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to our detecting family!! Feel free to ask ANY question. Everyone on here is willing to help new members of our hobby.:yes:

I really appreciate the warm welcome. I hit a church after getting permission from the pastor. The church was built in 1920's and has changed little over the years. Only my 5th time out and i can just about pinpoint my object. Although i have been passing up objects if i get mixed respones from my detector. I do however check the surrounding area very well to make sure it isn't picking up on multiple targets. My problem is that I live in Pass Christian,MS and the old parts of town are near the gulf of mexico. But with all of the hurricanes going on, alot of stuff has shifted. Any advice?:?:

Hi Dexter.

I own a Lonestar too.

The display is OK : all US coins except Zn 1c and nickels will register to the right of the display.

At the same time, silver coins and rings will also register there.

So the high tone is the key : quarters, halves, dimes and older silver coinage plus silver jewelry will all register at the same place on the display, inducing all a high tone.

Hope this helps.

it does indeed. If i get erratic signals from the detector i'll normally dig up a folded over can. lol

Back
Top Bottom