• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hi! I am new here and VERY new to MDing....

langdaddy

hello! my husband urged me to get on a MD forum b/c he knows my passion for it. For as long as i can remember i've been "in love" w/ tangible history. it wasn't until last year that my husband got me my 1st metal detector for my bday. i've had sooo much fun-but- quite honestly don't know what the heck i'm doing! :?: we live on a few acres that backs up to state land way out in the country. our house was built in 1790 so i have a lot of potential in my own back yard. i'm quite certain my property hasn't been metal detected yet b/c we've spoken to previous owners, at least back until metal detectors were introduced and none have or know of any. so, here i am ready to soak up any knowledge i can from all of you. hope to talk to some of you soon! thanks! - kristin

Welcome, Sounds like you have a great location. Anyone on this forum would love to take a crack at that land. The best advice I can give is to experiment with your detector ALOT!! Put coins on the ground, bobby pins, bottle caps, foil, aluminum can bits, nails, etc... Then practice with the responses you get until you can identify them without seeing them. Maybe put a sheet down over all the targets. After you can ID the targets by your machines response you are ready to hit the yard. Just remember that the really good stuff will be deeper. They may give much fainter signals than the targets on top of the ground. Now, go dig!!! Don't give up until you have dug at least 100 targets in the yard. By that point you will begin to get a feel for what you are about to dig up. And you will have found a few keepers. Enough to keep you going. Just stick with it. An area that old has tons of targets to find. Good Luck!!! Keep us posted on your finds.

Welcome!

The thought of living in a place that has been around since the 1700's makes me salivate. Sounds like you have a great place!

Let us know what kind of detector you have and I bet there will be some here who can help you with understanding how to get the most out of it.

I learned much more here than I would have ever learned on my own.

wow! thanks for such a warm welcome-- i was a little nervous...

Yes, i do believe that i am sitting on some great "yet to find" finds. I am actually REALLY embarrassed to tell you what kind of metal detector b/c i am sure it's not nearly as good as all of yours. It's the Bounty Hunter Quick Draw2. i think my husband was a little nervous investing much more than that fearing i would lose interest really soon. But.... i guess i gotta start somewhere. He also got me a Fisher pinpointer-which i love! You guys gave some great tips and i'm definitely going to do some target practicing tomorrow. I will tell you this, i did find last year, an 1843 quarter in my front yard (my 8 year old still loves to tell the story when mommy FREAKED out when she found that one) and a brass button w/ an anchor and stars all all around the perimeter. i did some research but couldn't find the exact same one. 2 houses down from me used to stand a house that a high ranking, decorated civil war soldier lived. the house is no longer there but it makes me wonder if it could've belonged to a uniform, maybe?? well, those are my best finds thus far. OH Yes, a buffalo head nickel and some wheat pennies. --- one more thing r/e potential that's just killing me b/c i would just die to find one is that my neighbor- 4 houses from mine- found, while laying sod-not metal detecting- abe lincoln's election pin!!! --- i am so glad i found this website b/c very few people understand the excitement of that, or any of this for that matter!! lol:lol:

Welcome from the showme state. You can learn so much from the people on this site. I believe that just about any question you ask could be answered. HH

Welcome to the forum! Sound like you have some great days ahead of you in your own yard. I sure do envy you.
Please post some photos of some of the great items I know your going to find.

Welcome aboard Langdaddy... from another east central New Yorker.... heart of the Catskills. That house of yours should provide a wealth of finds. Does it have a dirt floor cellar?? Also, unless it has been totally renovated, the walls could hold treasure as well. Hope you find more treasures that make you 'freak out'..:lol::lol: RickO

Welcome Kristin

It will take a while to detect your yard. Dig everything that beeps, sometimes junk masks better things. Once the junk is out of the way, you will find deeper targets. Post a picture of your found button, we have a lot of knowledgable members who can ID that stuff (just about anything) that you can dig up. Those old homes can hide some real treasure. About 20 years ago there was a home like yours having renovations. One of the windows had been sealed down and pinned. When they tore it out they discovered a row of gold coins that were hidden along the sill under the sash.. That was in the Albany area ....Good luck....Gil

Back
Top Bottom