Hi! I am new here and VERY new to MDing....

i sure hope so..

Welcome to the forum! Sound like you have some great days ahead of you in your own yard. I sure do envy you.
Please post some photos of some of the great items I know your going to find.

thanks for the welcome and yes i will definitely post my finds, i hope i find some good ones to post! :) --

Welcome to the forum

Sounds like a goldmine you have there Langdaddy! Now all you got to do is invite the forum to your house for burgers and some digging:lol: Good luck to you and HH!!!

i have some friends that also live in heart the Catskills....

Welcome aboard Langdaddy... from another east central New Yorker.... heart of the Catskills. That house of yours should provide a wealth of finds. Does it have a dirt floor cellar?? Also, unless it has been totally renovated, the walls could hold treasure as well. Hope you find more treasures that make you 'freak out'..:lol::lol: RickO

...it's beautiful there! up until about 15 years there was a dirt floor cellar but they had to pur concrete b/c of high levels of radon :( -- it has NOT been renovated yet, no- but we did tear down one wall this past winter to put a 2nd bathrrom in. i was so excited thinking the same thing as you-- but nothing exciting. how could i MD the walls w/ the nails always making it go off? is there a secret to that? :)-- i can only hope i find some more treasure to make me Freak Out again!! :)

does that stuff really happen??

It will take a while to detect your yard. Dig everything that beeps, sometimes junk masks better things. Once the junk is out of the way, you will find deeper targets. Post a picture of your found button, we have a lot of knowledgable members who can ID that stuff (just about anything) that you can dig up. Those old homes can hide some real treasure. About 20 years ago there was a home like yours having renovations. One of the windows had been sealed down and pinned. When they tore it out they discovered a row of gold coins that were hidden along the sill under the sash.. That was in the Albany area ....Good luck....Gil

that would be amazing to come across something like that! Yes, my yard is FULL of junk and nails! BUT--- the nails are all squared so that gives me hope! i have tons of old tractor parts buried all over the place so it's very hard some days to stay positive when thats all you hit. There is an old house foundation and barn foundation on my property up the hill behind my house-just as old as mine-- that has been filled in w/ rocks, metal junk, and dirt when they cleared the fields over the years-- so how do you get through that. i mean piles and piles of junk metal to get down where the good stuff as to be??:?:

:)

Sounds like a goldmine you have there Langdaddy! Now all you got to do is invite the forum to your house for burgers and some digging:lol: Good luck to you and HH!!!

sure! you'll all be going home with old rusty pieces of tractors and a handful of squared nails! the best part of the day would be the burgers and company at the rate i'm going this spring!:lol:

You may be able to crank your discrimination up to eliminate the nails. You'll still get a reaction from the electrical wiring in the wall, though.

With a house with that long of history - get out into that yard! You know there have got to be a few goodies out there!

And welcome to the group!

langdaddy

Hey, Since no one else offered I'll come over and help you detect your property and be your mentor!!!!!!!!!

You gotta find some stuff right there on your own property. WOW, I love detecting those old houses [actually I do mostly cellar holes back in the woods, but love ones from that period].

Make sure you do around any trees in front of the house, any banks near the road, along the drive, near the old privy hole, the old well, along pathways, along stone walls around the yard, and then grid the yard and go to it. Make sure you don't cut plugs totally out of the grass, Your husband will kill you because you might kill the grass. Cut about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way around and then hinge the plug out.

Let us know what you find!

Tim

langdaddy

I read your other posts and am intrigued by "2 houses down from me used to stand a house that a high ranking, decorated civil war soldier lived. The house is no longer there". WOW another gold mine. Get permission to detect there as well!! WOW!!

Tim

Hey, Since no one else offered I'll come over and help you detect your property and be your mentor!!!!!!!!!

You gotta find some stuff right there on your own property. WOW, I love detecting those old houses [actually I do mostly cellar holes back in the woods, but love ones from that period].

Make sure you do around any trees in front of the house, any banks near the road, along the drive, near the old privy hole, the old well, along pathways, along stone walls around the yard, and then grid the yard and go to it. Make sure you don't cut plugs totally out of the grass, Your husband will kill you because you might kill the grass. Cut about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way around and then hinge the plug out.

Let us know what you find!

Tim

hi tim! thanks for the advice and the offer :) -- i have a ?? for you. how would you know where an old privy hole would be?? i've often wondered that. as far as my husband wanting to kill me, well, i learned that the hard way. lol!! i'm getting better though!-- also as far as cellar holes in the woods--- we have lots of those around us too but find those to be VERY HARD b/c it seems that every cellar hole had once been claimed as the kids party spot. pull tabs, cans , and junk metal galore. I think my biggest thing to work on is the patience part in getting through all that crap metal to get to the goods :)-- once again, to you, and everyone else who's lent an ear and offered up some great advice, thank you!! but please try and help me w/ the privy ??---kristin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom