• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Tesoro Bandido II uMax

I would definitely suspect the DD coil would be better in mineralized ground than the concentric. So you may want to go that route. Aside from that, lowering the sensitivity a bit until it's stable will help (you won't lose that much depth).

A DD might help some but remember that VLF is not PI. The Bandido lets you know there's a soil problem. Some "automatic" detectors don't, they just lower the sensitivity down without the user knowing they're getting maybe 1 inch of depth.

Manual ground balance machines let the user know what he's up against.

This is one of the strong points of the Nautilus IIB. Some claim I'm down on Nautilus but that's not true at all. I sometimes have pointed out some things about the model I think need improving but I actually like them.

But as for your Bandido, if you can't get a deep target signal with it you won't with any other VLF. This same holds true with any manual ground balance VLF. Manual ground balance is a great revealer of the facts. "Auto ground balance" is a great concealer of the facts.

This is why I use both a VLF and Pulse machine.

PI (Pulse) is far less affected by ground minerals than VLF. The downside of PI is little or no discrimination so one is hunting in all-metal mode.

Badger

Hi Badger,

And thanks for the advise. My favorite machine of all time was the Minelab xs-2a pro, which I still regret having sold many years ago. That was automatic and probably didn't have the depth as the Advantage or a Nautilus I have also owned, but bbs technology and the 17 frequencies I found made it really nice.

On the Tesoros, are the Tejon and their current model line, also vlf or is HOT technology something else? I have over the years read alot of wonderful things said about the Tejon and its depth, but I recall also reading it having problems in my type of soil here near the mountains in TN.

Yesterday I planted a test garden, no coin over three inches deep, and I had so much false signaling, even with sensitivity down to 5 on the Bandido and Disc at various levels, I could not tell two of the four coins I had planted from all noise.

I ran across some info on the web yesterday about negative ground balancing for high mineralzation, that is when you lower the coil it nulls out the sound I might try that before I consider just selling this machine. Air testing is fine on it depth wise, but the in ground test so far in my soil just aint cutting it.

All Tesoros except for the Sand Shark (PI) are VLF machines. VLF simply stands for very low frequency. And all detectors made today are TR (transmit and receive).

As for the so-called "HOT" Tesoros I'd call Tesoro and have someone explain that to you.

I've owned several Tejon's and they are deep. But your Bandido can also be deep. My personal opinion is all Tesoros are close to the same depth if fitted with similar coils. In fact this is probably also true of all the other brands.

Years ago I saw that my Minelab Sovereign GT seemed to get better depth than my Tesoro Silver uMax. But then I remembered that the GT comes with a 10" coil and the Silver an 8 inch.

Badger

Back
Top Bottom