WooHoo! First dibs on a state park beach

BillZ

Elite Member
My wife and I have camped a couple of times at a state park in Maryland that we really enjoy. The park has a small lake with a beach so last time we were there, I asked about metal detecting. The ranger said that we needed to get permission from the park manager and he knew that it was only allowed before 8:00am. It was our last day there so I planned to ask before our next stay.

We decided to camp at this park on Labor Day weekend. I called the office and asked about getting permission. They told me that it was allowed but not during the time between Memorial Day and Labor Day, so we were going to miss the opportunity by one day.

The wife was upset, so I suggested we ask off work on the day after labor day.
We did, and I just got permission from the park manager. First shot at a beach after a whole summer of use! I am salivating already!

Good luck to you on the future hunt. I hope law breakers don't steal your thunder and you're able to grab the goodies! HH!!

The beach is highly visible from the ranger station and the main road through the park so I doubt anyone could hut there without getting caught pretty quickly.

Practically no one takes the day after labor day off so I anticipate a pretty empty campground. Right now I am trying to figure out how to cover the whole beach before 8:00am. I am thinking that we will start around 4:00am using our headlamps, that is, if the ranger says it's ok.

Seems like a lot to squeeze in before 8:00am, but I hope everything works out for you guys!

Have a great hunt, and I hope you find some really neat stuff! :yes:

Sorry, really old thread. Deleted my comment.
Lol!
You can still comment. I was looking through my old posts for something and saw it resurrected.

In case you are wondering, the park employees weren't aware of the rules regarding metal detecting and they had been letting a guy hunt there all the time.

I did manage a silver Rosie but other than that, my wife and I didn't find a whole lot.

Lol. Ibet that place got hit a dozen times before you. Sorry to sound like buzzkillington but those regs are ludicrous

Back
Top Bottom