Seated liberty Dime, V Nickel, War Nickel

joelogan25

I went to my usual spot today (just like every Saturday morning) but this time around I used relic mode on my GTI 2500 (I usually hunt in Jewelry mode) with plans of finding more cool relics. To my surprise, I found three coins I have been wanting to add to my collection for a long time. The War nickel was the first find. I found it under a big oak tree. It was about 4 inches deep and rang up in the pull tab range. Its hard to see in the photo but the P is there (I think) and it is very very faint.The second coin to be found was the V Nickel. I located it next to a bunch of bushes that I've been avoiding for the past few months because that is where the bums like to sleep. No bums were there this morning so I took advantage of the situation! The final coin was the Seated liberty dime. I found it next to a crepe myrtle bush that I have avoided because it was planted in a wire mesh basket which drove my detector bonkers. I dropped the sensitivity and slowly worked my way around the bush. I was surprised to see the dime ring up as a zinc penny. I almost decided against digging but since I have recently convinced myself to dig everything, I went for it and it paid off finally. Not much detail on the V Nickel or dime but at least I got a date off of them. The dime is the second oldest coin I have ever found and it was quite a thrill to find it. Even though we haven't had rain around here for about 3 weeks, the ground was quite easy to get into. The fire ants on the other hand were fierce today. I usually get a bite or two every time i go metal detecting but today I counted 14 new bites. 10 were on my left ankle, the other 4 found there mark on my right hand. I hate those suckers....

Attachments

• Coins Group.jpg
    Coins Group.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 592
  • War Nickel obverse_edited-1.jpg
    War Nickel obverse_edited-1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 566
  • nickle reverse.jpg
    nickle reverse.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 557
  • VNickle Ob.jpg
    VNickle Ob.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 651
  • VNickle Rev.jpg
    VNickle Rev.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 659
  • seated ob.jpg
    seated ob.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 657
  • Seated Rev.jpg
    Seated Rev.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 559
Congrats on your awesome finds!! WTG! I bet those fire ant bites don't hurt so bad today after such a great hunt...lol. Congrats again!

That's an old seated! Worth about $35 in G-4. Congrats on all your finds.

I think Tyler B Drums is right. It looks more like a D than a P as I previously mentioned. The blown up photo has better detail then the magnifying glass that I use.

Nice finds. I think it looks like a faded D too. It's a shame about the quality of the V but I'd take that over a modern Jefferson any day. Nice going.

NICE FINDS: I LIKE THE PHOTO OF YOUR SILVER REALE FOR FOR PIC. I FOUND A CASHE OF ABOUT 62 OF THEM BACK IN 2000. NOT MUCH SINCE.:cool:STILL LOOKING FOR THE SEATED SILVER

NICE FINDS: I LIKE THE PHOTO OF YOUR SILVER REALE FOR FOR PIC. I FOUND A CASHE OF ABOUT 62 OF THEM BACK IN 2000. NOT MUCH SINCE.:cool:STILL LOOKING FOR THE SEATED SILVER

Yeah I found my 1/2 reale this spring about 1/4 mile away from where I found the coins on this post. It was found at a demo'd house site. That was my all time favorite hunt.

Back
Top Bottom