• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

coin roll hunting? why bother?

JG_233

Hows it going guys, I am having no hope in finding a silver half. I have gone through $800 worth of Halfs this winter and got absolutley nothing but clad also a box of dimes and nothing. I am just sharing this thread to vent haha. I think I am done CRHing. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

(Was also charged 10 cents a roll when ordering boxes, so $5 a box)

Thanks guys

It's called coin roll hunting not coin roll finding for a reason.
Kind of a volume business, if you get my drift.
If you don't try, I will guarantee you will never find...anything!
Some find very little, other lucky son's of guns find...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=53492

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=62946

I agree. Look for the plain brown rolls or older looking rolls. Hit some small banks in small towns. Thanks for the shout-out Digger27!

it could be that your bank is also cherry picking out the silver, this is what goes on at my bank. i talked to the manager (who i know) of my bank and she told me that her and her staff go thru all the rolled coins hunting for silver, she told me that they also look for all silver certificates and star notes too. try a different bank and hope they don't do the same

Try going to more banks & find one's that don't charge fees.While you may not have a silver score like daddydigger,you will find silver if you keep at it.I find silver halves almost every month,but I search alot of coin, go back a page or 2 and look for my threads for Nov-Dec totals.Sometimes I hit it big & sometimes not.Nothing is a sure thing.Good Luck!!

Today my coworker had to take his son to the dentist. While he was waiting, he noticed a bank across the street. He walked over and asked for 10 rolls of halves. They were the Brinks kind with the open ends. He showed me one roll that had a 1967 date showing on the end. He opened the roll and I could clearly see a silver edge in there. A second 1967! He will open the other 9 rolls tonight and let me know the results.

it could be that your bank is also cherry picking out the silver, this is what goes on at my bank. i talked to the manager (who i know) of my bank and she told me that her and her staff go thru all the rolled coins hunting for silver, she told me that they also look for all silver certificates and star notes too. try a different bank and hope they don't do the same

That's exactly what they do here in ALL the banks and the one credit union. My former landlord who is the home loan person at one of the banks says the competition for finding silver or old coins is pretty serious...no way a customer is going to "get lucky".

I DID get a President Dollar from KFC the other day!!!:lol::lol:

I'll stick with burning gas to go out to the places I know. Banks have always been, and still are, a rip-off. And it's only gonna get worse.

Dusty

Yeah I thinks it's all a luck of the draw when CRHing. But I didn't know the banks charged you for ordering them? How much do they charge and do you have an account with that bank?
When I CRH I hit this old convenience store where allot of Mexican families live around. Not trying to sound racial but Mexican folks just don't care or know they're rolling up silver. I'v found 1 rosie and 42 Nickel. I've probably found over 20 wheaties with the oldest being 1916. I've also found dimes in penny rolls multiple times. Doesn't sound like much BUT IT'S TO DANG COLD TO DETECT! BRRRR....:lol:

It is TCF bank and yes I am a member, they were charging 10 cents a roll if you took any box. 50 rolls in a box so $5 for a box of pennys, dimes, nickels, quaters or halves. Its a joke. I know they did not look through them because they had no halves when I ask, so I ordered a box. That same day I took home a box of dimes and pennys. Nothing in the dimes and about 8 Wheaties in the penny roll. I have also went to wells fargo and got $300 worth of halves and of course nothing. I don't get how others are doing it. You would think with $1075 into CRHing I would have gotten at least one silver. Now the fun part, going somewhere to turn them in...

I have to agree with most of you guys, a few years back I got a job as a cashier in a supermarket and I would handle ALOT of change everyday and would break open several rolls of dimes and pennies and quarters and it was pretty rare to find any silver and believe me I looked. Not to say I didn't find any but it wasn't something that happened often and the silver I found was usually given to me by customers. I did manage to get a blank penny out of a roll of freshly minted pennies once. My grandpop collected coins his whole life, mostly stuff he found in change from stores and his bank. He had a large electric box filled with silver, everything from Morgans to rosies. He just collected to collect and never knew the value of the coins or if he had any key dates so we were supposed to go over it with my coin guide and see exactly what he found over the years but unfortunately he passed away in an accident last year before we had the chance to. If his luck with coins was anything like playing the lottery I bet he had some good ones too.

It is TCF bank and yes I am a member, they were charging 10 cents a roll if you took any box. 50 rolls in a box so $5 for a box of pennys, dimes, nickels, quaters or halves. Its a joke. I know they did not look through them because they had no halves when I ask, so I ordered a box. That same day I took home a box of dimes and pennys. Nothing in the dimes and about 8 Wheaties in the penny roll. I have also went to wells fargo and got $300 worth of halves and of course nothing. I don't get how others are doing it. You would think with $1075 into CRHing I would have gotten at least one silver. Now the fun part, going somewhere to turn them in...

If you're a member at that bank... there is no way you should let them charge you for those rolls! The reason they charge you aside from being jerks is that they consider it a "special order" which in turn costs them money to get from Brinks each time. You could possibly tell them to have a new box each week so they know ahead of time and maybe they will stop charging you because they can just put it in as part of their normal order... but it sounds like you need a new bank if they are charging you for coin! I'd hit em' where it hurts and just bring those non-silver babies right back to em' and then it's their problem! haha! :cool:

What with the skyrocketing price of silver, there has to be a point of diminishing returns on the CRHing. I did a little CRH three years ago and had good luck, but if you follow any of the CRH forums, you see that there are lots of people doing it on a large scale (multiple boxes per week). Eventually it'll all be gone except for a few that people bring it in from old coin stashes. People that find grandma's old coin jar and just roll them up to cash in for face value (there are such people). Maybe some small banks that have rolls in the vault that have been there for years.

What with the skyrocketing price of silver, there has to be a point of diminishing returns on the CRHing. I did a little CRH three years ago and had good luck, but if you follow any of the CRH forums, you see that there are lots of people doing it on a large scale (multiple boxes per week). Eventually it'll all be gone except for a few that people bring it in from old coin stashes. People that find grandma's old coin jar and just roll them up to cash in for face value (there are such people). Maybe some small banks that have rolls in the vault that have been there for years.

and on top of that people post it on youtube so everyone can see and to go do it! When people see how good some others do they run to the bank and buy some boxes. Soon there will be nothing left.

and on top of that people post it on youtube so everyone can see and to go do it! When people see how good some others do they run to the bank and buy some boxes. Soon there will be nothing left.

Ain't that the truth will all things in life!!! :jester: Get while the getting is good!

T.V. shows also spike the interest of people...just look at that show "storage wars", i'm sure that really spiked the number of people that are showing up to bid on storage units now. even that show "decoded" i'm sure raised the sales of metal detectors after airing the show about lost confederate gold.

T.V. shows also spike the interest of people...just look at that show "storage wars", i'm sure that really spiked the number of people that are showing up to bid on storage units now. even that show "decoded" i'm sure raised the sales of metal detectors after airing the show about lost confederate gold.

I work in the storage business.
Yesterday, we had an auction...4 units at my location.
In the past, we had maybe a dozen 'regulars" consistently show up at these things that all had stores and outlets and were looking for a few objects or pieces of furniture to resell.

Yesterday...50 people showed up all looking for that buried treasure.

I work in the storage business.
Yesterday, we had an auction...4 units at my location.
In the past, we had maybe a dozen 'regulars" consistently show up at these things that all had stores and outlets and were looking for a few objects or pieces of furniture to resell.

Yesterday...50 people showed up all looking for that buried treasure.

Geeez, times REALLY ARE tough!!!!!!!!

Dusty

Back
Top Bottom