CRHing!!

AceGVSU11

Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Well... I after reading about the art of CRHing... I decided I have to give it a try and must say I'm pretty excited! I will post my finds once I make it through my box. I hope the pic for this post shows up!

Attachments

• CRH-1.jpg
    CRH-1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,362
Coin Roll Hunting (CRHing) is the method of searching for old coins that are still being used in circulation today that nobody has found or noticed. The ultimate method to search these coins is by going to the bank and "buying" a box of rolled coins. This gives you many coins to search through and are easily at your disposal.

I use the term "buying" because you are taking that amount of money out of your account... but remember the coins are still worth what you put in and in fact... you can actually make money as you find silvers/old coins because they are worth more than their represented denomination! Just remember to replace the coins you pulled with normal clad coins of the present.

Once you are done searching through the rolls. Take them back to a bank and just re-deposit them and the money is back in your account! This is a great method for those colder snowy states that don't allow one to metal detect year round... Hope this helps clear things up!!!

-keep your coil to the soil-

CRHing is Coin Roll Hunting. Buy a roll (or a box of rolls, as shown above), open it up, and look at the coins to see if you got any mis-strikes, silver coins, or older coins.

Well... after my first attempt at CRHing... I was teased about 7 or 8 times by Canadian dimes because they have the silver edges but I finally hit a keeper about 3/4 the way through my box. I got a 1959 Rosie and I'll gladly take it! I avoided the skunk box so it was a good first experience!!! Now it's on to try some quarters!!!

Attachments

• Rosie.jpg
    Rosie.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,335
  • CRH-2.jpg
    CRH-2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,311
Take them back to a bank and just re-deposit them and the money is back in your account!

NUMBER ONE RULE:

DO NOT TAKE THE COINS BACK TO THE SAME BANK YOU "BOUGHT" THEM FROM!

This makes tellers angry and if you do it they will stop allowing you to "purchase" coins from them. Also, do not, ever, tell the tellers that you are looking for silver coins or tell them the dates you are looking for. If you do this, you can say bye to any old coins that older people cashed in. If you must, just simply tell them that you are trying to fill up a coin album, or that you are a collector and keep it at that. Once the tellers start picking silver it's all over.

Yup that is a good note I did not mention! When purchasing coins you typically don't need an account there. But it is always good to take those coins back to a different bank. You can still purchase coins from one bank on a typical basis... just don't ever take them directly back and ask for a fresh box then and there!!! Lol!

A good excuse I use is that I work at an arcade and we need to restock our coins or that I just am a pinball addict myself and need alot of coins! :D

Tellers do not have time to go through rolled coins at work. and most banks forbid it. But in agreement, find another bank to cash in your looked at coins.

Well I didn't get any keepers outta the quarter roll but it was a good 1st experience regardless! Happy about the Rosie and can't wait to try again!

Tellers do not have time to go through rolled coins at work. and most banks forbid it. But in agreement, find another bank to cash in your looked at coins.

correct, however, some tellers who have caught on to our game take the coins for themselves. They just purchase them and take em home or keep the obvious ones that are in their trays and wont sell them to us unless we go out of our ways to get the manager.

I have accounts at two big chain banks, plus my normal bank acct.

The tellers I deal with know exactly what I am doing.

They don't mind becuse I "spread the hate" and never deposit the coins back into the same bank twice in a row.

Then I just write a check back to my normal bank after depositing the coins. Rinse and repeat.

Still pretty new at it...hoping to be able to post some good success stories.

I have gone to two different banks and gotten 200 in dimes and 300 in quarters. I only found 5 1976 Bicentennial quarters. NO SILVER what so ever. I asked a teller if the coins are rolled by someone at the bank. She told me this " The coins put in the coin counter are sent to the Fed. New shipments are sent to the bank from the FED". So I take that to mean that no one has searched these coins before they are rolled for distribution. I know a lot of people look for silver coins and they are scarce in circulation now. I have started to wonder if the fed themselves look for silver coins before the rolls are made. Someone here on the forum made the comment that the Coin Counting machines kick out silver coins. If the Fed has a machine that can do this, then it would make since that they would pull the silvers for melt value. What do yall think?

I think it's poppycock! haha! They do run scarce but what do you expect after 50 years of circulation! It seems you'll get 1-2 silvers out of each box of coins usually... I have heard of no such machine... but the silver is still out there! Maybe try a smaller more local bank... farm towns like to keep their money local ;-)

Well I gave it another go and I found another Rosie 64' in my 2nd box of dimes... making it 2 for 2 on silver dime finds... I also tried another round of quarters but came up empty handed once again.

Dimes - 2 for 2 (59' & 64')
Quarters - Skunked!!!

I have gone through about 500.00 in quarters and dimes and I've not found a thing. I have used 3 different banks. I have looked at so many dimes my eyes are crossed.

$1000 worth of halves

2,000 half dollars, on my 3rd roll I managed a Franklin and then nada, not even a 40% in the bunch.

Miss the Vegas days before they went to TITO when I would half dollar dump out of the machines and get at least 1, 40% for every $100.

1963_D_half_obverse.jpg

1963_D_half_reverse.jpg

Back
Top Bottom