Underground fence advice please

Steve77

Elite Member
I already have an underground fence system, but I am finding the quality of the collars to be pathetic. The current system is a SportDog SDF-100a. I found out after my wife purchased it that it is just a rebranded petsafe like walmart sells. The collars have been breaking repeatedly. I have three dogs and One of the dogs learned to challenge the fence once his collar started working only intermittently. Now, I am going to need a system with a bit more correction at the collar.

I tried turning up the field width hoping to remedy the problem, but due to my yard/boundary shape, it started shocking the dogs in undesirable parts of my yard, so I had to turn it back down.

Long story short, I need advice on currently available brands and models that anyone has good or bad experience with. I had an Innotek system at my previous house that I really liked. It had rechargeable collars and worked like a dream. But that model isn't offered anymore. I don't want to pick a system at random, and I don't really want to deal with Invisible fence salesmen. I already have the wire installed, so I just need advice on which companies are offering a good base unit and reliable, durable collars. Also possibly a brand that offers a model for stubborn dogs now that my dog has learned to sprint through the fence.

I'm not familiar with in ground fencing personally (I have a 78 foot by 16 foot regular fenced in area for our dog), anyhow I did a search and that company does seem to still be in business, also Amazon is a good place to read customer reviews on that and other brands -

http://www.innotek.net/

https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Fence-Underground-Longevity-Continued/dp/B00ETAIE0A/ref=sr_1_5

https://www.amazon.com/Innotek-Rechargeable-Ground-Fencing-System/dp/B00068K9P2/ref=sr_1_6

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_16?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=in+ground+dog+fence+system&sprefix=in+ground+system%2Cpets%2C249&crid=3KB20R8INR1GI&rh=n%3A2619533011%2Ck%3Ain+ground+dog+fence+system

I've thought about in ground fences in the past, but even beyond my initial concerns - will it hurry my dog - and - is it effective - another thing I just thought of is that it won't keep out stray dogs that might be vicious nor would it keep out deer, coyotes, ect that could still get in and hurt your dog.

We live in a semi-rural area right next to woods so I don't keep my dog outside without me being out there with her except for a very quick trip in the house to grab a bottle of water or some tools (she is an inside dog).

I have had underground fencing for around 15 years. I have always lived in a rural area with plenty of coyotes and other critters. I have never had a problem with animals coming into my yard. I tend to think that my dogs marking a scent line along their perimeter has been a sufficient deterrent. Not to mention, their boundary is no more than 50 yards at it's furthest point, from my house. So it isn't like they are off roaming away from my house.

I have had underground fencing for around 15 years. I have always lived in a rural area with plenty of coyotes and other critters. I have never had a problem with animals coming into my yard. I tend to think that my dogs marking a scent line along their perimeter has been a sufficient deterrent. Not to mention, their boundary is no more than 50 yards at it's furthest point, from my house. So it isn't like they are off roaming away from my house.

That's really good that they stay off your property, especially if you have smaller dogs.

My dog does occasionally go potty in the further areas of our property when I take her for walks outside of her fenced in area but my trail camera has still picked up pics of coyote, fox, deer, ect, in our yard so they don't seem to be deterred by my dog's scent.

That's really good that they stay off your property, especially if you have smaller dogs.

My dog does occasionally go potty in the further areas of our property when I take her for walks outside of her fenced in area but my trail camera has still picked up pics of coyote, fox, deer, ect, in our yard so they don't seem to be deterred by my dog's scent.

I have three 70 pound male dogs. I can hear coyotes within 100 yards of my house several nights a week. But coyotes in my area are hunted hard and are rarely seen. I know some states the coyotes are exceptionally bold, but around here they are exceptionally skittish. Our deer population is huge too, I've seen 300 deer in the field around the corner 1/2 a mile from my house during late winter early spring when they herd up. So there are plenty of fawns to eat. Maybe I'm being complacent, but I don't feel like the risk is worth worrying about here.

I have three 70 pound male dogs. I can hear coyotes within 100 yards of my house several nights a week. But coyotes in my area are hunted hard and are rarely seen. I know some states the coyotes are exceptionally bold, but around here they are exceptionally skittish. Our deer population is huge too, I've seen 300 deer in the field around the corner 1/2 a mile from my house during late winter early spring when they herd up. So there are plenty of fawns to eat. Maybe I'm being complacent, but I don't feel like the risk is worth worrying about here.

:shock: Wow, 300 deer 1/2 mile away ? That is a lot !

…...and I thought seeing as many as 7 - 10 or so deer go thru our yard at one time was a lot :lol:

Once the deer yard up in the winter they concentrate nearby. We have the highest rate of deer killed by hunters in the state here where I'm at. But it comes with a downside, apparently. Chronic Wasting Disease was discovered here recently, so the DNR has implemented a huge kill off off our deer herd to try to minimize the impact:?:

Back
Top Bottom