Funny MD Story

artman60

Forum Supporter
A woman who had lost her wedding ring, and had rented a metal detector, a couple of times, to try and find it, had come here looking for advice/tips on how to use one. She noticed I was from Pepperell Ma., which is where she is living, turns out the house she lost the ring at, is about 400 feet from where I live, in a straight line. So she sent me a message asking if I could help her, Liking to think I'm an alright person, I agreed to help. It took a couple of tries before our schedules lined up, and I went over this afternoon. In January, she had gone out on the deck to throw a rotten tomato out back into the woods, and the ring went off her finger with it. Due to snow cover, she was unable to find it. So, not being an expert at this MD'ing stuff, I was thinking I would scan the whole area, and anything above 30, that was near enough to the surface that the propointer also picked up, I would dig. Well after 2 1/2 hours, (it's over 90 degrees here) ( I know for parts of the U.S. that would be a cool spell) We decided we would pack it in, and try again on another day. I was disappointed that I was unsuccessful, but the funny part was, while only digging targets close to the surface, we found a 10K men's wedding band, which Chris told me was mine, cause I found it. So now I gotta go back and find hers. The woods part is very over grown, very difficult to swing. I told her if we are not successful by fall. I'll chop the undergrowth back ten feet, so I can swing

Attachments

• IMG_4277 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_4277 (640x427).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 283
Makes you wonder what else you'll find back there with all that throwing from the deck going on :lol: Nice find! And I hope the lady and her ring are reunited soon.

Did she have you look in the area where the tomato landed? I think the ring would have landed closer to the deck. Good luck.

WTG Artie !!!!!!!!, I'm sure that made her feel good, knowing you are doing your best to find it for her.......... make sure you get a picture to share before you hand it over - GL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 ktp

Inside the ring it has 10 KTP stamped, which I have come to find out means it is 10 k gold plated. I did explain to her that I am stubborn, and this has become a mission, on the other hand, being an old fat guy, I may wait till it's not 90 or more out. Artie

Congrats on the ring, after all, a ring is still A RING! I PM'ed you a few ideas...

........I did explain to her that I am stubborn, and this has become a mission, on the other hand, being an old fat guy, I may wait till it's not 90 or more out. Artie

More power to you Artie! I'm sharing that wonderful refreshing weather right along with you. It's not much better in Fitchburg. ;)

Thinking scientific, if the snow was soft when the ring launched, it should likely be pretty close to where it landed. If there was a coating of ice of the snow, it could have slid many feet.

Cut me an PM if you want another machine out there. We could grid the area off and we should locate that thing if it's still there. After my machine gets back from Garrett's, I'd like to see what I could do for you.

Dave, I did tell her that more bodies might bring success, she was cool with the idea. I'm gonna try to do another hunt this coming Friday afternoon, and after that I might see what I can get for volunteers. Some of the issues are, there is some serious underbrush/growth close to the deck, and the ring could be in there, I might be cutting it all back in the fall for better access. She and her husband used to rent the unit (one half of a duplex), they have since bought their own place (nearby) and someone else is now renting the unit. Artie

Artie

If you don't know about this organization you might want to consider their help. They are www.LostMyStuff.net, and its a bunch of loose net folks that have volunteered to look for lost items and has volunteers in most states. You might consider contacting them for assistance, these folks are all MD'ers and expect to work for free and only get pleasure out of recovering stuff for folks. If you do contact them make sure you are the contact person so that this 'assistance' doesn't spin out of control, that way you can gauge the folks contacting you and make your own arrangements for future recovery efforts.

Best of luck, you are indeed a helpful friend and you might want to consider signing up for your area.

ColoKid

Lost my stuff

Hi Colokid, I am already a member. I have tried to find a wedding ring this spring, did not go well. The couple had a fight, and she threw the ring at him, later when they looked for it they could not find it, so six months later they found Lost My Stuff, and filled out a lost claim. I went there, and while talking with them, trying to find out who was standing where when the throw happened, WW III broke out, they were screaming at each other "you weren't standing there! You were over here!" "You're a %#$@!* moron! I was right here, and you were over there!" It got ugly. I found like 19 coins, little kids jewelry, trash, no ring. I was only going after targets in the top 4 inches. The guy told me he thought it mighta went in the pool, and he hadn't opened it up yet. After 3 hours I left, told them if they didn't find it when they opened the pool, to e-mail me I would come back and try again. So far, no e-mail (Thank you). This situation is more definite, I'm probably gonna search a couple more times, and then if no luck, cut back the brush, and see about some help. Thursday it was 94, I could only last for 2 1/2 hours. Kinda got a quest/mission feeling about this, not gonna give up. I've looked for two wedding rings previously, found one, so this one is gonna put me over .500 or under .500 Artie

Back
Top Bottom