Treasure hunting and detecting in the Philippines

Recovery of stuff in the bay there

I wonder if anyone runs a diving tour to the dump site off Corregidor where the Americans dumped 270 TONS of lovely delicious silver coins before the Japanese could grab them? I'm not a diver but that would be great to find in a plug, old silver pesos!

Some Corregidor info here about the silver.

http://corregidor.org/chs_trident/salvage/medina_01.htm

Some good info on Corregidor, sorry if it has been posted already.

Really great pictures there , bet you wish you knew then ,what you do now about the history of the place. No telling how many more tunnel additions the Japanese added and sealed up that weren't on the diagram, they had a unlimited supply of slave labor to build them. No telling what is hid behind some of those caved in entrances to keep it out of American hands. I am sure at the time the Americans didn't think anything they found would be worth recovering. From accounts I have read General Mac Author ordered his personal car pushed over the pier to keep the Japanese from recovering it. Might still be there but wouldn't look like much at this point. How many prized articles were hid or thrown in the water to keep them out of Japanese hands knowing they were ordered to surrender and having time to do it. As to the coins that were brought there they were boxed up in wooden crates and put on barges and taken out to a deeper part of Manila Bay and sank. The Japanese found out about this and used captured American Divers to recover some of the coins , After the war the American government sent navy divers to recover more of it. They recovered as much as was worth it at the time. The wood crates had rotted away and the diving suits we had then were crude by todays standards with the old metal dive helmets .Still a lot of them down there but would take a major recovery effort to get them with all the years of silt and mud covering them.
Those were some beautiful coins mostly 1903-1912 silver pesos , but also rare issued commerative coins called Wilson dollars , and a rare issues set of 3 coins from 1936 and some go for big bucks today. Here is a article that tells about the recovery of some of the coins and pictures of some of them.http://corregidor.org/chs_trident/salvage/medina_02.htm It also mentions much of the silver the Japanese recovered was lost again when the ships were sunk waiting to be found again.

Last edited:
I recently came across 2 books i enjoyed on treasure hunting in the Philippines during the 1980s. They involve looking for the lost Japanese treasure hid there during World War II. Nick Auclair wrote both Steel's treasure and the follow up Steel's Gold both are fiction but the author knows his subject and the Philippine during that time period. While in the military he looked for treasure in his off time. As a big fan of the Philippines and some one who would love to find some of the treasure i enjoyed these books. Nick Auclair had these published him self and i picked them up on Amazon.com for my e-reader. He is curently working on a book about the Spanish -American war. He has a blog where you can find out a little about him at www.steelstreasure.com :detector::digginahole:
I was in Subic bay and San Jose in 61 they had nice beaches.000RAH USMC

With over 7000 island the Philippines is beautiful with lots of beaches , most public beaches are very trashy and hard to metal detect as they tend to bury their trash in the sand. Lots of foil, soda and beer cans and pull tabs. Prive beaches where they pick up the trash are easier to hunt for lost jewelry that foreign tourist leave behind. Lots of Chinese and european tourist at resorts there and like to show off their jewelry . I have in the past spent most of my time on Bohol and Cebu in central Philippines where my wife is from and there is a family home. Hope to see more historic sight next trip.

check out this picture of recovered silver peso coins during ww2 / https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...OsFOGJh_5k337G_LNsn3_-VsOSFgxScHg&oe=64655C3C February 22, 1945 - "American soldiers load a 3/4-ton truck with part of an estimated half million dollars in American and Filipino silver currency, recovered by Company 'C', 2nd Battalion, 130th Infantry, 33rd Division from a drainage ditch north of Rosario, on Highway 3. The truck carrying the money suffered a direct artillery hit." (Ctto

Back
Top Bottom