ACE 250 and coil choice

Seaking406

Elite Member
Greetings, been doing a lot of reading through this forum and finding a lot of useful and fun information shared by many.. But with so much info comes a few questions to clarify some items.

My Ace 250 came with two coils, a larger and medium sized coil (concentric). I have been using the larger one on the beach lately only because it was pre-installed. At first I had thought that bigger was better but after reading various articles on coils, I'm having a bit of difficulties deciding which one would serve me best for beach searches, the larger or smaller of the two coils?

Larger goes deeper but smaller one pin points better?

Conversely speaking, for this MD, if someone is going to be doing both beach and field detecting, would I be better off with a Nels DD type coil or the Garrett 4.5" sniper coil? I can't decipher the information well enough to decide which will serve me better than the other.. I'd splurge for one more coil this year just in case I plan to later on upgrade to a more advanced MD.

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

I use the big 12 coil at the beach only.
All other times I use the stock 8 inch coil.
Btw I have done very well finding gold jewelry with the 250, just have to get the coil over it.:grin:
Happy hunting!

Thanks I have both coils, been using the larger one since I have only been to the beach with it thus far..

But taking matteladdict's suggestion I'll give the small coil a try over park grass lands etc when I get home.

Many thanks!

How do you pinpoint the target beneath the coil?
Is it dead center of the coil itself or is there a formula to determine where the target is?

I've gotten tone and thought dead center but the target seems to move closer in to me as if it were near the nearest quarter of the coil.

I hope this message is understandable!

How do you pinpoint the target beneath the coil?
Is it dead center of the coil itself or is there a formula to determine where the target is?

I've gotten tone and thought dead center but the target seems to move closer in to me as if it were near the nearest quarter of the coil.

I hope this message is understandable!

Just move front until signal stops, mark a line and back the same, mark a line. Go to the middle and go side to side doing the same, marking lines. X marks the spot! You will get used to finding the spot without marking lines very soon. I use visuals on the ground and signal strength to tell me where the object is. Just trying to help....

Back
Top Bottom