solid brass shotgun shell

bugman

found this today thought it was pretty cool, any ideas on age? says umc co no 10, 2.5 in. long thanks!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,489
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,651
I would have thought turtlefoot would be all over this one... Maybe pm him. He seems to be the head stamp expert.

Nice find!
Not sure of the age but it has been around for a while. All brass shot shell casings predate paper hulls. Think "cowboy" era.

I have a few UMC headstamps but never seen a solid brass one. That is to cool. Turtlefoot is the one to talk to. He is with out a doubt the expert here. Cool find.

Fisher F5 Ace 250 and Pro pointer 2014 finds

Congrats on a great find there! All brass shells can be hard to get a tight date on as in many cases the headstamp and other features never changed during the life of the shell. My eyes are not good enough to see some of the fine detail on yours, so I am going on a bit of a "hunch" by what I can see.

The head of you shell has a unique design to it, around the primer area. This was used on a few different all brass shells, with the most popular being the "First Quality". Although I don't have solid date information as to when this head style was used, it was featured in the UMC catalogs during the 1880's. My best guess is the 1880's, but it could be a little earlier or possibly a bit later.

Very nice, and scarce find.

Doug

picture.php

I have a couple of brass 12 gauge shells a friend of mine gave me, he was in a mountain man club. I knocked the spent primer out of one and use it to play my slide guitar.

Back
Top Bottom