millitary mine metallic & non-metallic type detecter

mello1

I was just givin a old milliatry detecting set mine metallic and non metallic type AN/PRS-7 a few days ago, it's in good condtion and it has the carring case as well but it's missing the battery back. Im just trying to find out if anybody out there has ever heard, seen, or used that type of detector before. I think that it is from the Veatnam war (sorry for my spelling there i know it's wrong) Also trying to find out how much it's worth to. So any info on it well help me out alot, and it might be up for sale if i decide to sell it, i'll keep you all informed about it. Sorry about not having any pic's of it

According to Jane's Military Vehicles and Logistics, the battery voltage is 16.2 V mercury battery, getting 28 hours continuous operation.

The Army sought to create a hand-held mine detector that would counter the
new dangers posed by nonmetal mines and, in response, fielded the AN/PRS-7.
However, in the midst of deploying these units, the Army recalled
all AN/PRS-7 devices because they were unreliable and error prone.

The AN/PRS-7, was superseded by the AN/PRS-8. The new solid-state transmitter and
receiver sweeps over a wide radio frequency band instead of the single frequency of the earlier
AN/PRS-7, and provides an order of magnitude increase in the search head data gathered.

The PRS-7 is a pre-1981 design and being that it used mercury batteries, new batteries may be
difficult to impossible to obtain. You may have to improvise a new battery pack.

The "state of the art" now a days is the AN/PSS-14, which features a metal detector, together with
a GPR, all in an integrated search head.

Back
Top Bottom