• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Beginner upgrade - is the Legend too much?

HammBamm

Hello, I'm very much a beginner who has been using a EuroTek Pro for a year or so now. I've had lots of fun but I'm looking to upgrade. I detect in central Alberta and further West towards the Rockies. I also had the opportunity to detect in North-Central Sweden (Jämtland). That got me hooked and as we are planning on moving to Jämtland in the next year, I would like to detect there as much as possible.

I've been reading a lot of opinion pieces and comparisons regarding different detectors, such as the F75 ltd, G2+, Nox 600, Omega 8500, Orx and the Legend. I'm mainly looking for a coin shooter, but relics are obviously great too!

I feel like I've settled on the Legend, however I'm a bit worried it could be too big of a step up from my extremely easy to use EuroTek Pro. Does anyone have any experience with this machine with little prior experience on newer more advanced machines?

The Legend is pretty much the top of my budget, and I don't want to spend that much to end up frustrated and feeling like I can't use the machine based on it being too advanced. This is probably just my ADHD going into overdrive over thinking a non-issue, but it sure would be nice to hear from any Legend users. Or from anyone who thinks I should look at a different machine.

Thank you!

as a fisher fan, the f75 is one HECK of a detector. it's all you'll ever need, most likely. and they are soooooooo light! anyhow, that's which way i'd go. it's my mac daddy of detectors lol! :D

The first question is, "Will you be detecting in the water"?

as a fisher fan, the f75 is one HECK of a detector. it's all you'll ever need, most likely. and they are soooooooo light! anyhow, that's which way i'd go. it's my mac daddy of detectors lol! :D

It does look like a nice machine. Being a Fisher as well I'm sure the interface would be a bit similar to the Teknetics ETP so less of a learning curve maybe?

The first question is, "Will you be detecting in the water"?

I wouldn't consider waterproofing as a must have. I have a weatherproof cover on my ETP and I've been fine with that for the land detecting. However having the waterproofing would obviously open some doors in the future. Future proofing I guess.

When the ETP was first released I bought one for my wife. I did use it occasionally and found the ETP to be a very good machine - especially when the price was factored in. She traded the ETP in for another machine some time ago, but my memories of the ETP are positive.

I think the machines (you) listed are all proven performers, and all will have somewhat of a learning curve. That said, all can be a turn-on-and-hunt machine if that is what you're looking for.

I do own a Legend and I believe the Legend offers a lot of capability that the ETP doesn't - primarily the ability to hunt in simultaneous multi-frequency, but there are other factors as well. While the Legend does offer the ability to fine tune all sorts of parameters, it also offers the ability to turn it on and hunt.

I think the best way to learn a machine is to start using it with the factory presets; then as you grow more comfortable with the machine, make a few adjustments to better suit the conditions and/or desired targets. It is very likely that you followed a similar process in learning your ETP.

I highly doubt that the Legend would prove itself to be too complicated for you. I believe the same with regards to any of the machines on your list.

Aside from the conditions you’ll hunt in, the targets desired, and concerns about a machine’s complexity; there is something else to consider.

For whatever reasons sometimes we just don’t gel with certain machines that others absolutely love. For example - I did not like the CTX 3030, but most users seem to love that machine and even now it is considered (by many) to be the best (most capable) machine on the market. For me the CTX 3030 wasn’t a fun machine, and having fun is what metal detecting is all about. I mention this because you appear to have a strong connection with your ETP, and that is a factor that should be considered when you decide which machine will be added to your stable.

If possible go to a local dealer and swing the machines you’re considering. See how they feel. See if they speak a language that you are comfortable with. If you find the one that passes both of those tests, your learning curve will be much shorter.

A few machines that you might wish to consider (in addition to those on your list):

Minelab Vanquish (440 or 540) - not waterproof, but both are SMF machines and simple to operate. Both have some ability to fine tune (the 540 has more of that ability than the 440 does).

Garrett Apex - not waterproof, but it is SMF. Very simple machine to use. Not many options for fine tuning. Often overlooked, but it is a capable machine.

Nokta Makro Simplex - waterproof but it is a single frequency machine. If you hunt highly mineralized soils, that could be an issue for you. A very capable machine - far more so than the price suggests.

A reference point so you know where my opinions come from.

I currently own a Legend, Anfibio, Nox 800, Deus (1), Orx, Apex, Vanquish 440.

Of those the most simple machine to use is the Apex, followed by the Vanquish 440, followed by the Orx. The most fun machine is the Apex or the Orx. The most capable machines are the Legend, Nox 800, Deus, and Anfibio - in no particular order since all have strengths and weaknesses. The most difficult to learn is the Deus.

The one that I’d keep if I had to sell all but one machine - the Legend. If I could have only 2 of my current machines - it would be the Legend and the Orx.

Good luck with your hunt for a new machine. Sometimes (for me anyway) hunting for a new machine is as much fun as hunting for old silver.

Wow Tahts. That was an impressively thorough and well thought out reply. A+

Last edited:
When the ETP was first released I bought one for my wife. I did use it occasionally and found the ETP to be a very good machine - especially when the price was factored in. She traded the ETP in for another machine some time ago, but my memories of the ETP are positive.

I think the machines (you) listed are all proven performers, and all will have somewhat of a learning curve. That said, all can be a turn-on-and-hunt machine if that is what you're looking for.

I do own a Legend and I believe the Legend offers a lot of capability that the ETP doesn't - primarily the ability to hunt in simultaneous multi-frequency, but there are other factors as well. While the Legend does offer the ability to fine tune all sorts of parameters, it also offers the ability to turn it on and hunt.

I think the best way to learn a machine is to start using it with the factory presets; then as you grow more comfortable with the machine, make a few adjustments to better suit the conditions and/or desired targets. It is very likely that you followed a similar process in learning your ETP.

I highly doubt that the Legend would prove itself to be too complicated for you. I believe the same with regards to any of the machines on your list.

Aside from the conditions you’ll hunt in, the targets desired, and concerns about a machine’s complexity; there is something else to consider.

For whatever reasons sometimes we just don’t gel with certain machines that others absolutely love. For example - I did not like the CTX 3030, but most users seem to love that machine and even now it is considered (by many) to be the best (most capable) machine on the market. For me the CTX 3030 wasn’t a fun machine, and having fun is what metal detecting is all about. I mention this because you appear to have a strong connection with your ETP, and that is a factor that should be considered when you decide which machine will be added to your stable.

If possible go to a local dealer and swing the machines you’re considering. See how they feel. See if they speak a language that you are comfortable with. If you find the one that passes both of those tests, your learning curve will be much shorter.

A few machines that you might wish to consider (in addition to those on your list):

Minelab Vanquish (440 or 540) - not waterproof, but both are SMF machines and simple to operate. Both have some ability to fine tune (the 540 has more of that ability than the 440 does).

Garrett Apex - not waterproof, but it is SMF. Very simple machine to use. Not many options for fine tuning. Often overlooked, but it is a capable machine.

Nokta Makro Simplex - waterproof but it is a single frequency machine. If you hunt highly mineralized soils, that could be an issue for you. A very capable machine - far more so than the price suggests.

A reference point so you know where my opinions come from.

I currently own a Legend, Anfibio, Nox 800, Deus (1), Orx, Apex, Vanquish 440.

Of those the most simple machine to use is the Apex, followed by the Vanquish 440, followed by the Orx. The most fun machine is the Apex or the Orx. The most capable machines are the Legend, Nox 800, Deus, and Anfibio - in no particular order since all have strengths and weaknesses. The most difficult to learn is the Deus.

The one that I’d keep if I had to sell all but one machine - the Legend. If I could have only 2 of my current machines - it would be the Legend and the Orx.

Good luck with your hunt for a new machine. Sometimes (for me anyway) hunting for a new machine is as much fun as hunting for old silver.

Thank you for the great response! It's truly appreciated. I appreciate the suggestions but I think you may have sold me on the Legend. I mean I was already leaning in that direction, but your response surely helps in making a final decision.

I love my ETP, other than its pinpoint issue (which I will attempt to fix once I a have a new machine) and I definitely won't be getting rid of it. It was my first detector and I do enjoy using it.

Thanks again for the well written response!

The Legend can be just as complicated or just as simple as you want it to be. Some love to push buttons and hunt a little. Others like to turn the detector on, (no button pushing) and hunt.. a lot!

g

The Teknetics Minuteman (same as Eurotek Pro with a different faceplate and coil) was my first coin/jewelry hunting only detector after many years of just using gold prospecting detectors. It worked great for me but I pretty quickly wanted something much more versatile. If the Legend had been available then I would have definitely bought it just for the features, specs and price compared to what is for sale today from Fisher/Teknetics/Bounty Hunter or Garrett. It is more versatile and just better and that is not taking a shot at the T2, F75, F19, AT Pro, AT Gold, AT Max or Apex. I have either owned or extensively used those detectors and the Legend can do anything those detectors can and more for a similar price. Get the Legend if you can afford it.

The Teknetics Minuteman (same as Eurotek Pro with a different faceplate and coil) was my first coin/jewelry hunting only detector after many years of just using gold prospecting detectors. It worked great for me but I pretty quickly wanted something much more versatile. If the Legend had been available then I would have definitely bought it just for the features, specs and price compared to what is for sale today from Fisher/Teknetics/Bounty Hunter or Garrett. It is more versatile and just better and that is not taking a shot at the T2, F75, F19, AT Pro, AT Gold, AT Max or Apex. I have either owned or extensively used those detectors and the Legend can do anything those detectors can and more for a similar price. Get the Legend if you can afford it.

I just bought the Legend from an online dealer in Canada! I'm excited to get going with it. I keep hearing great things, and knowing that I should be able to just turn it on and go to start with makes me feel better. That will give me the ability to detect and learn as I go. As I get more comfortable I can start fine tuning.

Back
Top Bottom