Why aren't you or your club a member of the FMDAC? (looking for feedback)

Nick A

Seeing the increased possibilities of restrictions to detecting (a ban is proposed in Clay County, Florida right now :( ), now more than ever, membership in the FMDAC (Federation of Metal Detector and Archaeological Clubs) is important. I want to hear what everyone's personal experiences (good or bad) have been with the FMDAC. Be as specific as you can about things that were done right or wrong. Membership is cheap insurance to support an organization that tries to help us.

So, why are you not an individual member of the FMDAC? Why is your club not a member?

Thanks for taking the time to respond! ;)

FMDAC Membership

I really don't think this is a good idea.

Well, that's not very specific about why it is not a good idea.

That even discussing this topic could be a problem concerns me, and says there may be something worth talking about.

If there is an overwhelming reason that people are not becoming members, then discovery is going to help. No doubt the FMDAC needs more members. If a reason they're not joining is because they don't like the logo, then that's something that can be discussed and probably remedied.

In case it's unclear, I'm not encouraging people to discuss personalities... such as I don't like Joe Schmoe. But to discover why people are not members. Is it cost? Is it the logo? Is it lack of knowledge about the FMDAC?

However, your forum, your call... you may remove my post if you feel it is not in the best interest of the forum.

I think the main reason people are not members is because you have to belong to a club.... unless they've changed this?

...Our club, Silver State Detecting Club is a FMDAC member affiliate! I see the news letters now and again! I even had a article published in their news letter!.......... Jan

I can't find ANY info about a ban in Clay county Fla. Where did you get your information ? :?:

Just got paid....

I've been planning on joining. A single membership is available for $10 unless something has changed in the last 3 months.
Marty

Has anyone ever actually seen where the organization has made a difference ? I am wondering because the only place I ever hear of it is on metal detecting websites and not many of those. The theory behind it is good but in reality , its hard to see what joining an impotent or mostly inactive and unknown organization will acomplish. Metal detectorists and treasure hunters are a minority and an oscure group , and as negative as that sounds our small numbers and obscurity actually works in our favor because the less we are seen the less likely that pinheads will try to ban or outlaw the hobby. Those who do not understand what we do and really have no interest in finding out arent very likely to have their minds changed by an organization. I may be wrong about all this, so it is not meant as arguement, just saying what I see. Feel free to disagree and correct me. Just seems like betting on a lame horse to me.

I was the secretary of the FMDAC Northeast Chapter in 2002.

There was an issue in Sharon CT, where the FMDAC got involved, and also the Yankee Coinshooters club was the defense in the court case.

They were banning all metal detecting in Sharon CT because of an incident where a detectorist detected the town square, and turned in what he found to the Historical Society. The president of the Historical Society threw a fit.

So yes, the FMDAC gets involved, they know their stuff, they give you support via the Chapters, but detecting in Sharon CT got banned anyway. So even with the help of their huge organization, it wasn't enough.

It is nice to have the backing if you wind up in court over an incident. There's no reason why everyone shouldn't belong if they are doing individual memberships now. I recommend it.

I have been on their website and if the individual membership is available for $10, then I will most likely join. I am involved in a number of assiociations for other hobbies and in my career. The issues facing and organization like the FMDAC are part and parcel to that type of group, but they are still necessary and have a very important role.

Personally, I had never heard of them, but I am very new to this hobby. I'll check out their site.

-Mike-

Nobody cares what I do. I am just an old codger.
No clubs around here. No one will have anything
to do with this dumb hobby or me while doing it.
That includes my friends and family. I am disabled.
I can just bairly metal detect. But I love it.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I
cannot change; courage to change the things
I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Just what do you expect from me?

I probably aint got it,

Tabdog

Metal detectorists and treasure hunters are a minority and an oscure group , and as negative as that sounds our small numbers and obscurity actually works in our favor because the less we are seen the less likely that pinheads will try to ban or outlaw the hobby. Those who do not understand what we do and really have no interest in finding out arent very likely to have their minds changed by an organization.

I agree with this 100%.

All detectionist need to belong to the FMDAC! It has been around for 25 years defending your rights and promoting the hobby.

Through a club, membership is $5 per member (minimum for 5 club members to join to become an affiliate club) and an Independent membership is $10 per year. For that you receive 4 National newsletters and 4 Chapter newsletters plus many other benifits. Alerts on issues are sent out regularly by email to members!

They have been very involved in defending your right to detect this year. In the past year they have helped stop or changed laws sucessfully. They have been involved in issues in KS, WI, KY, NY, CA and FL this year.
They have helped overturned bans in KS, NY and FL.

An organization is only as good as its membership! If you are asked to contact your Senators and Congressman, do it now or we will continue to lose ground.
www.fmdac.org

Back
Top Bottom