Tools accesories i need to get started?

ddavis89325is

So obviously some digging is needed in detecting. What have you found to be the best digging tools for metal detecting? Probes, shovels, ect.

What about headphones? Can I just use the same headphones I use on my laptop (basically ear buds) or should i get a better pair, and why?

Does anyone have an ideas for a "tool belt" for all the things i'll need while detecting?

How about something to carry my finds with?

I'm getting pumped to get started. I'm probably going to purchase a ACE 250 by the end of the week!

Welcome to our detecting family. The first thing you need is a good digging tool. The Lesche is about the best you can get and should last for many years. Several garden supply companies and hardware stores sell cheaper ones, but they are not as heavy duty ones.

Headphones are a must. Ear bud ones will work, but most use full size full ear cup models. They tend to block out any background noises better.

A coin probe is optional. It helps in pinpointing and determining the depth of the coin prior to digging.

A cloth nail pouch will work for a finds pouch. They sell pouches with Velcro closures to keep from loosing your finds.

As you get more experience you will have a better feel for what works for you. If you plan on staying with the hobby, get decent quality items that will last you a while. The cheap things tend to break under the stress and cost more in the long run. Good luck with the 250. It is a great starter unit and should serve you well.:yes:

Welcome!

I've always used cheapo headphones... the earbud ones work fine for me. The advantage with them is that you are not out much if they are damaged or ruined and they let you hear what's going on around you. I'm a bit wary of blocking out outside noise as I want to know when people / dogs / whatever are getting near me.

As mentioned the Lesche is a great digging tool. I use that for digging and a ground down screwdriver for a probe.

I stuff my finds in my pockets. I wear a Carhart jacket in cold weather with big pockets or cargo pants or shorts in warm weather - also with big pockets.

But that's just me. Get out there and do some detecting and you'll figure out what works best for you in short order.

Good luck!

lots of things to use are very simple garden tools, lesche diggers are very nice most metal detecting stores carry them i use a old screw driver dulled on end as a probe but the new electronic probes are great .Nail aprons and nail belt holders with pockets you can buy at home depot work great for carrying your trash and treasures ,carry and old pill bottle around with soapy water in it for your better finds and dont try and rub them when they come out of the ground head phones you need ones that block alot of outside noise you want to hear those deep targets, good luck lots of good metal detecting in your town :spin:

Now, Im no expert on headphones...but, I am a musician and record a ton of stuff...so, Ill add my 2 bits here. Ear Buds will kick butt over most other 200-300 dollar studio earphones, BUT, here is the trick to it, you gotta get some nice comfy noise blocking ear protectors from HD or Lowes or wherever. Insert earbuds, place ear protection over them, and voila...as good or better than most hi end studio earphones at a fraction of the cost....this is what all us poor ass musicians use. Hope this helps.

Welcome ddavis89325is, (Beemer guy?) i use factory headphones that came with the detector in winter, & the small liteweight foam earpads ones from Radio Shack on really hot summer days. A simple cloth nail pouch works for me & you can throw it in the washing machine. A sturdy type small garden trowel will work for starting out, but a Lesche digger will be your best friend, they are Tough! The less "stuff" to carry around the better, once you get used to pinpointing & and finding the targets in either the plug or the hole with the detector you can determine if a pinpointer would be helpful. I like to use a handheld one if there could be older coins in the area, to avoid a chance of scratching one on recovery. The main thing is to get out there and practice and Have Fun. :yes:

So obviously some digging is needed in detecting. What have you found to be the best digging tools for metal detecting? Probes, shovels, ect.

What about headphones? Can I just use the same headphones I use on my laptop (basically ear buds) or should i get a better pair, and why?

Does anyone have an ideas for a "tool belt" for all the things i'll need while detecting?

How about something to carry my finds with?

I'm getting pumped to get started. I'm probably going to purchase a ACE 250 by the end of the week!

Hi welcome here is apic of what I use, Knife is an old full tang riveted steak knife (cheap at the thrift stores) great for clean cuts in turf grass,lesche for heavier digging,coin probe(popper) made from old toilet float rod (brass) insterted into file handle secured with gorrilla glue, bullseye pinpointer(not used much cause I have a sunray in line probe which kick butt also pack gloves towel water as needed

Attachments

• pouch.jpg
    pouch.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 180
Welcome
Dittio to all that is said so far and add a piece of plastic that is large enough to place your dirt on when you go fishing for your treasure.
Basset

Welcome to the site. Everyone had some really good tips and I had to think real hard to come up with something. So here it is, ware some depens, that way you don't have to stop for nothing.:shock::shock::shock::D

Welcome to the forum. Lot of interesting ideas here. I personally wear a fishing vest for my finds as it has heaps of pockets. In it I carry tweezers, a small cloth for wiping relics, coins, etc, a soft toothbrush for cleaning. I always carry water with me for cleaning too. Tools, shovel, gold pick, coin popper, hand shovel, steel probe for bottling, rake for clearing, and of course, my detectors! Usually just todd everything into my car and away I go! that way I'm prepared for any type of detecting.
Golden;)
ps. Don't forget the camera.!:yes:

How about something to carry my finds with?!

I have a podcast (internet radio show) that addresses just those questions.

Check out program number 005 here:

http://thetreasurecorner.com

Welcome

Everyone made good sugestions, especially RIP. As matter of fact I going to add that to my list:lol: Personally, once I started using my pinpointer it would be hard to give it up.

Here's a really good one......

Knee pads! Especially handy for those hot spots where you're up and down alot.
Marty
P.S. I think I'll try the earbuds with the protector muffs idea. Makes alot of sense. I like keeping my ears covered when it's windy and or cold.

Back
Top Bottom