Homemade Coil Cover

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
Homemade Coil Cover

We had totally wore out the bottom of our coil from rubbing it in the sand. You could actually see the wiring.

Vlad found and old bucket lid that fit perfect on the bottom and cut out the inside. Then glued it to the bottom of the coil.

Flopper Stopper

If you waterhunt you might need a Flopper Stopper to keep your coil from flopping in the water.

In the second photo you can also see the coil "flopper stopper" Vlad made out of plexiglass.

Once we put the plexiglass on, we saw we needed a longer bolt, so we went to Home Depot and got a couple plastic toilet lid bolts and nuts. They fit perfect, and we just had to cut off the excess off the bolt. ;)

Attachments

• coilcover.jpg
    coilcover.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 2,883
  • flopperstopper2.jpg
    flopperstopper2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 2,111
  • flopperstopper1.jpg
    flopperstopper1.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 2,141
I don't live where you have a serious wave problem, but I'd try and patent it, seems like a real good idea to me. Nice job and good thinking, thats ingenious. Way to go... smg

Thanks smg, but I think Whites beat us to it :(

But I haven't actually seen one, just heard they had them.

If anyone has one of Whites flopperstoppers please post a pic.

Thanks smg, but I think Whites beat us to it :(

But I haven't actually seen one, just heard they had them.

If anyone has one of Whites flopperstoppers please post a pic.

This is the only one I've seen from White's

Attachments

• 802_5190_4bg.jpg
    802_5190_4bg.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,762
Ooops, linked to this thread from another and didn't realize it was an old thread. :roll:

No problem Bruce, I'm glad to see the thread surfaced again.

At least I finally got to see a pic of Whites Flopperstopper. Thanks :yes:

I love the plexiglass flopper stopper and old bucket coil cover btw. Very inventive. :cool:

Another idea

Carol,
I too am glad to see this thread resurface. Old news can be good new news, lol ! FXDiz had asked if I use a coil cover to protect my MXT in the desert sand and the truth is I had never even considered that a cover is needed (you know, being so green in this MDing biz). So, here is what I came up with: I found one of those little hotel packets with a plastic shower cap ( I don't know about y'all but I save all that hotel stuff, soaps, shampoos, shower caps, love the sewing kits) Fits fine, sure it won't last long but gives a bit of protection. You can stop laughing now !!:D

Well it is a little funny to think about a metal detector wearing a shower cap. :lol: But if it works, why not. :yes:

I don't know if this is an option for a coil that is worn with exposed wiring, but how about coating it with the same stuff they use for spray-on truck bedliners? Like Line-X? Might work.

This answers one questions I had.

I know I'm too lazy and cheep to buy coil covers, but I'll be looking for a fix whenthe coil "wears out". Now I have a head start. I think I'll start looking for a fisbee the right size.

Back
Top Bottom