Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Old 08-31-2018, 08:22 AM
Supporter

Default Snake!

While out walking the dog yesterday afternoon, I see this interesting little guy right in the middle of the bike path warming himself on the asphault...I have never seen a snake like this, so I took a close look at his tail and then his head and could clearly see he was some form of colubrid...so I picked him up of course...I dint want him to get runt the hell over on the bike path...

Then without thinking like normal, I took him to the Old folks place where I live for photo ops and to show the Wife...Well, it made quite a ruckus in the lobby! One knowledgeable old guy loudly proclaimed it to be the deadly West Michigan 'DiamondbackedCopperheadedWatermoccitsin'!!!,

Several Old Ladies fainted right in their wheelchairs, colostomy bags gurgled like deranged espresso machines with a surge of unrestrained Human fear!...In the background din, you could hear catheter tubes popping off like safety valves on a steamship boiler! Whipping around dangerously like 120 psi industrial air hoses that got run over by a forklift! Hoverrounds raced around in circles in the lobby like an impromptu Nascar event!

All the while this poor little snake was not doing himself any favors by constantly biting me all over the place and actually drawing blood! This I thought odd? Generally a colubrid will calm down after the initial capture defense strikes and behave themselves quite gently...Even great big Bull Snakes settle down and dont bite as much as this little fellow did...I'm sure he was very traumatized and scared by all the unfamiliar goings on...I did my best to assure him he was in good safe hands...which he acknowledged with another bite...

Anyway, I'm like "No! No! This is just a harmless little Milk Snake!" "Milk Shake?" Some octogenarian roared! And that was just enough of a distraction and had a calming effect on the crowd! Yes! "MilkShakes for everybody in the dayroom!" I hollered as I headed for the door! ....Some Folks just dont appreciate Nature like we do I guess...Everybody likes Milk Shakes though!

Some folks dont get outside much, but thats where the action is, unless you are a Janitor at a Old Folks home...Lotsa action for him yesterday! I bet the damn guy went through a whole bag of sawdust just cleaning up the mess at the Nurses station!....He got lucky though... Imagine the dumptruck load of mulch required to clean up an old folks home if I ever find myself an Anaconda?
Attached Images

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Last edited by Mud-puppy; 08-31-2018 at 09:15 AM.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:41 AM
Elite Member

Mud... Don't stop being you man. Don't stop.

BCD

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
While out walking the dog yesterday afternoon, I see this interesting little guy right in the middle of the bike path warming himself on the asphault...I have never seen a snake like this, so I took a close look at his tail and then his head and could clearly see he was some form of colubrid...so I picked him up of course...I dint want him to get runt the hell over on the bike path...

Then without thinking like normal, I took him to the Old folks place where I live for photo ops and to show the Wife...Well, it made quite a ruckus in the lobby! One knowledgeable old guy loudly proclaimed it to be the deadly West Michigan 'DiamondbackedCopperheadedWatermoccitsin'!!!, Several Old Ladies fainted right in their wheelchairs, colostomy bags gurgled like deranged coffee pots with a surge of unrestrained Human fear!...In the background din, you could hear catheter tubes popping off like safety valves on a steamship boiler! Hoverrounds raced around in circles in the lobby like an impromptu Nascar event!

All the while this poor little snake was not doing himself any favors by constantly biting me all over the place and actually drawing blood! This I thought odd? Generally a colubrid will calm down after the initial capture defense strikes and behave themselves quite gently...Even great big Bull Snakes settle down and dont bite as much as this little fellow did...I'm sure he was very traumatized and scared by all the unfamiliar goings on...I did my best to assure him he was in good safe hands...which he acknowledged with another bite...

Anyway, I'm like "No! No! This is just a harmless little Milk Snake!" "Milk Shake?" Some octogenarian roared! "WTH is wrong with you?" my Wife asked me again for the umpteenth time....Some Folks just dont appreciate Nature like we do I guess...

Some folks dont get outside much, but thats where the action is, unless you are a Janitor at a Old Folks home...Lotsa action for him yesterday! I bet the damn guy went through a whole bag of sawdust just cleaning up the mess at the Nurses station!....

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:44 AM
Elite Member

Gorgeous! Love those Milk Snakes. I find them hear usually in the spring, like you, warming up in the road. My wife DOES NOT appreciate them like I do!

Old 08-31-2018, 08:51 AM
Elite Member

Mud!! Once again you got me spitting my coffee!!! Great story!!

Old 08-31-2018, 09:02 AM
Elite Member

Stay away from Appledorn Village. I really believe my Dad would beat you with his walker

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:13 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Junkminer View post
Gorgeous! Love those Milk Snakes. I find them hear usually in the spring, like you, warming up in the road. My wife DOES NOT appreciate them like I do!
Same Here! My Wife has an unjustified fear of snakes!......No matter how many I have brought home to show her in the last 40yrs...No matter how pretty and harmless, she simply hasnt been able to get over it!? I keep trying though, to her dismay...

I bet I'll get kicked out of this Old Folks home or at least get a stern warning...the ample rules dint state anything about bringing in snakes, or any wildlife, so in this instance I can debate the technicalities...

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:17 AM
Supporter

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who ya' are.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:22 PM
Elite Member

Old 08-31-2018, 02:36 PM
Elite Member

My friend has watched me pick up a lot of snakes in the past. We were driving through a lake area on a fishing trip when a snall snake crawled across the road. He decided this was his chance to catch a snake to prove that he could do it too. Just as he was about to grab it I told him, "Take another look at it before you do. He isn't beating his tail against any weeds." realizing that he had almost grabbed a snall rattlesnake, he opened his trunk and emptied a .22 rifle into it, in a firearms prohibited area no less. There wasn't much left. I told him that it wasn't hurting anything and the next time if he was going to shoot it, at least leave the skin and rattles so that I can make something out of them. o'll be darned if he didn't pull the same stunt again a few months layer. Only this time after telling him, he smashed it with rocks. Next time I'm not going to say anything so I can at least get the skin and rattles after I pry it off of him.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:27 PM
Elite Member

Great story Mud!!

Good luck on your next one!!

<°)))>{

Old 08-31-2018, 06:09 PM

Around here, we call them Corn Snakes

Great Story!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by pigEye View post

Great Story!

There’s a difference in a corn snake and a milk snake. But that is a corn snake lol.

I love snakes I even have a blood python. She’s my baby.

I also love this story, it had me rolling lol.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Old 08-31-2018, 10:50 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by pigEye View post

Great Story!
Originally Posted by L0S3R View post
There’s a difference in a corn snake and a milk snake. But that is a corn snake lol.
Actually, it's a Milk Snake.
You can tell by the distinct "V" on it's head. Corn Snakes don't have that.

The best that you know is the best that you've had.
Slow Down, and you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:57 PM
Supporter

Mud what a write up......lololol....your nuts man.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:57 PM
Supporter

A good story to change things up on here...and nicely written too!

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1796 Large Cent; Oldest US silver coin: 1861 Liberty Seat Dime; 2017 Y/E Clad: $616.38: 2018 Y/E: TBA

Coin record amounts found on one of various days: Quarters-113; Dimes-86; Nickels-53

Old 08-31-2018, 11:35 PM
Elite Member

Puppy-mud: Great creative writing skills as usual

Old 08-31-2018, 11:49 PM
Elite Member

Cool snake but I thought you were bloody?

Old 09-03-2018, 07:28 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Silversmith45 View post
My friend has watched me pick up a lot of snakes in the past. We were driving through a lake area on a fishing trip when a snall snake crawled across the road. He decided this was his chance to catch a snake to prove that he could do it too. Just as he was about to grab it I told him, "Take another look at it before you do. He isn't beating his tail against any weeds." realizing that he had almost grabbed a snall rattlesnake, he opened his trunk and emptied a .22 rifle into it, in a firearms prohibited area no less. There wasn't much left. I told him that it wasn't hurting anything and the next time if he was going to shoot it, at least leave the skin and rattles so that I can make something out of them. o'll be darned if he didn't pull the same stunt again a few months layer. Only this time after telling him, he smashed it with rocks. Next time I'm not going to say anything so I can at least get the skin and rattles after I pry it off of him.
Cured few big diamondback skins when I lived in Texas. Gave them to my rancher friend who cut them and made hat bands. Was surprised how easy it is to do.