Silver #9 ... and something even better!

jbkelly3

Elite Member
Got an hour or so after our staff meeting to hit the dirt at my old base housing claim and put it to good use. In between two of the units I get a scratchy 81-83 signal ... and the first shovel of dirt finds a nice tree root. Swap to the digger and four scoops of dirt later I get a solid tone with the pinpointer .... under the root. One more scoop and ... hello Mr Rosie! 58d this time .....

After I finished the run between buildings I move to the first vacant yard ... and not more than 5 steps down the walkway I get a quarter signal that bounces to iron ... worth a shot at least. I have been hoping for a no doubt Air Force relic from the site ... and here it is! Now the search begins to find this man, of course!

Attachments

• Dog tag ... cropped.JPG
    Dog tag ... cropped.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 436
  • Dog Tag ... close up.jpg
    Dog Tag ... close up.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 437
  • 06 Feb 14.JPG
    06 Feb 14.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 426
  • 58d  Silver #9.jpg
    58d Silver #9.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 439
Agree. The silver is pretty nice but dog tag is better. It is very personal item in contrast of the coin. Congratulation

Update on the search ..... we know a lot more. This serviceman was a WW2 vet, but not in the Air Corp. He was a Navy guy, entering service in early 1942 and was on the USS Lexington during the Battle of Coral Sea. Much info follows but he left Navy in 46 and was almost immediately signed on into the Air Corps, which became the Air Force in 1948. As such he served in three of the four services of his day!! He passed in 1999, and no one has been able to locate any descendants as of this time.

Back
Top Bottom