Problems with my XLT

grdrlr

I've been having some problems with my White's XLT lately and today it was unusuable. When I get it ready, all I get is loud noise and readings that come from nowhere; just random signals and beeps misfiring like someone's brain on drugs or something. Any idea what the problem might be? Could my software be corrupted? A problem with the machine's hardware? It doesn't matter whether I move it or not or turn it off/on.

Before it was unusable it would seem to always give a +95 reading with 1 bar on the graph wherever it was swung.

Thank you.

I don't know anything about the XLT, but I remember someone had a similar problem, and it was caused by a bad coil?

A software re boot may well sort you out though its always worth trying a coil swap before sending a machine off for repair.

With the machine switched on, open the back flap and drop the battery pack out. Wait, then drop the batteries back in. (there's a bit of disagreement over how long the batteries should be out, some claim under a minute my XLT seems to need longer).

Brian

make sure you trigger is in the neutral position before you turn it on...are you getting your battery check meter when you turn it on? if not your trigger is in the wrong position. if thats not the problem turn the machine on select a program just like you are getting ready to hunt,raise your coil up in the air and shake the hole machine,if it goes nuts your coil is shot. if its non of that try UK brians suggestion and that should fix it.

I had the same problem at the time I had one. The main reason for the XLT to false ist the coil connector being loose.

It is at a very bad emplacement, bumping on your tight at the end of a sweep, so this occurs frequently.

Check by opening the unit to see if the two inner screws are OK. If not, put a bit'o glue on it and give the necessary screwdriver twists.

Hope this helps.

HH

Nick

Thanks for the responses, but regrettably i'm still having problems and my detector is not functioning properly. There is a dealer in my area, but i'm wondering whether there's anything they can do there to fix it or analyze it. Is it worthwhile to take it in there, or will they tell me that they just sell them? Should I ship it to Oregon?(I'm in California).

Currently it is giving continuous wild, false readings; most of the time unable to ground balance. As well, it is not reading valid targets. It fluctuates between two problems:

1. It gives a strong reading anytime I move the coil.

or

2. Numerous, fast-changing, cycling readings with just the coil resting on the ground.

Thank you.

that deffinatly sounds like a coil problem to me. do you have another coil for it or know someone who has one you can try to see if it works...might be as simple as getting a new coil. i dont think its your whole machine.

Any suggstions to a $100-200 price range, all-purpose coil I could replace it with to work with my XLT?

Any suggstions to a $100-200 price range, all-purpose coil I could replace it with to work with my XLT?

go with the royal 800 8" coil its a great all purpose coil. i think kelly co still sells them its around $100.

Whites customer service

My dad has sent his whites coil back to whites 4 times in recent months for problems similar to yours. He has had to pay for shipping only to get the coil back with the same problem. I have emailed whites regarding a problem with my new whites bullseye II and after 2 weeks no reply. I am ready to purchase a high end detector but I will look at another brand now. I know many of you love whites but I work hard for my money and will not drop a grand with a company who could care less about the end user.

My dad has sent his whites coil back to whites 4 times in recent months for problems similar to yours. He has had to pay for shipping only to get the coil back with the same problem. I have emailed whites regarding a problem with my new whites bullseye II and after 2 weeks no reply. I am ready to purchase a high end detector but I will look at another brand now. I know many of you love whites but I work hard for my money and will not drop a grand with a company who could care less about the end user.

have never had a problem with there service when it comes to a detector but service on the bulls eye pin pointer is enough to make you wanna bang your head on the wall..i sent mine in a total of 5 times and had to pay shipping both ways 3 of the times i finialy got sick of it and bought an inline probe.

Thanks for the responses, but regrettably i'm still having problems and my detector is not functioning properly. There is a dealer in my area, but i'm wondering whether there's anything they can do there to fix it or analyze it. Is it worthwhile to take it in there, or will they tell me that they just sell them? Should I ship it to Oregon?(I'm in California).

Currently it is giving continuous wild, false readings; most of the time unable to ground balance. As well, it is not reading valid targets. It fluctuates between two problems:

1. It gives a strong reading anytime I move the coil.

or

2. Numerous, fast-changing, cycling readings with just the coil resting on the ground.

Thank you.

Hello grdrlr,

do you often disconnect and connect the coils plug? If so, so please disconnect it and heve an eye to the contact pins at the control box. Sounds one (or more) is loose, bent or broken.

Second try would be the battery. Is it in the good range? The connectors are two hooks. If they are bent by dropping the pack to heavy inside the detector, this will cause some trouble, too.

How will the detector react if the coil's disconnected and you switch on the machine?

The "hooks" situation can be checked without opening the detector by just checking the battery pack for burning or pitting on the two battery pack connector "plates".

Back
Top Bottom