Wonder Why...

V-Bottom

After briefly looking at a few threads here and there, I notice that there are not much talk about a Whites Detector. Are they any good?

After briefly looking at a few threads here and there, I notice that there are not much talk about a Whites Detector. Are they any good?

Absolutely great machines, especially the Classic series....but....in today’s very difficult hunting conditions in most public places, multi-frequency detectors have a big edge with accuracy of VDI. Most of the old coins that are left are either skewed or deep....and multi frequency machines process out the ground signal itself more effectively. There’s nothing wrong with Whites....but if you want to hunt deep with VDI that is more accurate, multi frequency is king. This post will have its detractors, but results just never lie.

Hi,
I've owned the Matrix M6, MX5, MX7, TreasurePro and still own the pulse induction TDI SL with modded lithium ion battery pack for more power. Like IDXMonster, I really like Whites detectors. Unfortunately, the ones I owned were not the best at target separation, target ID stability or overall depth in high mineralization and personally I did not like any of their stock coils. Whites mainly makes consumer detectors and does not seem to have the ability or resources to do major R&D or product retooling at the moment. All of their detectors which are made in the US are rehashes of products from the late 90s to early 2000s with minor tweaks. The V3 series and the MXT are outstanding detectors and so are the early Classic series. The newer MXSport/MX7 are also excellent detectors if you have moderate to mild mineralized soil conditions. My favorite was their predecessor, the MX5 but they just don't matchup well performance wise or feature wise with the Deus/Orx, Nokta/Makro mid level detectors or the Equinox.

Jeff

Forget about them fancy tech machines, you need to get yourself a Simplex :laughing:

Absolutely great machines, especially the Classic series....but....in today’s very difficult hunting conditions in most public places, multi-frequency detectors have a big edge with accuracy of VDI. Most of the old coins that are left are either skewed or deep....and multi frequency machines process out the ground signal itself more effectively. There’s nothing wrong with Whites....but if you want to hunt deep with VDI that is more accurate, multi frequency is king. This post will have its detractors, but results just never lie.

You don't hear much talk about whites because they are SLACKING! They need to get in this arms race quick, or they will end up like tesoro :roll: Garrett too! Repackaging old tech won't work anymore IMO.

I had a whites beach hunter ID, worst excuse for a water machine I have had. Floating coil on a floating box filled with LOTS of batteries that could not be ground balanced.

I had a whites beach hunter ID, worst excuse for a water machine I have had. Floating coil on a floating box filled with LOTS of batteries that could not be ground balanced.

I has one of those things... worst detector I ever owned... now others like them but we didn't pair well :lol: Whites PI's on the other hand were great..

I still use and love my MXT..

White's makes good detectors, and still have some of, if not the best customer service in the business.

However, White's has become stale and hasn't come out with much new tech in a while. I think I saw a picture somewhere of Miles Standish using a V3i to detect his new property in Plymouth back in 1620... Seriously though, their flagship detector is over 10 years old (or there abouts). All they seem to be doing is repackaging old tech in new wrappers - though, I would be real happy if they repackaged the 3Vi in a lighter, waterproof package.

As a company, I think they may find themselves in trouble if they don't come to the market with some new, ground breaking tech. Otherwise, Minelab, Deus, and Nokta/Makro will be stealing their lunch money at recess.

I will note that their old machines - the MXT and the V3i are VERY good machines.

Disclaimer: Life long White's user. I drive a V3i, MX Sport, and MXT.

OR spend triple the cost on an Equinox, oh wait, make sure you factor in more money to replace the garbage factory shaft and other junk hardware used to build it. :lol::shock:

Then tear down other machines so you don't feel so bad about being swindled out of $1000 by Minelab. That HAS to sting ;)

Forget about them fancy tech machines, you need to get yourself a Simplex :laughing:

Old tech still works. 😃

Yes , old technology does work ! That's not the point here .
Heck and old 30's , 40,s Ford still drives down the road but you're not gonna win any race's either . Either you have the money to get a top notch machine and grow into it , or you buy a beginner or mid level machine and make it suffice . I don't believe there's a wrong answer - it depends on the person and what they want to accomplish .

The detector market is getting vicious. I hope the American manufacturers can keep competing.

V-Bottom said:
Yes, some of the White's models are good, for some applications and for some people. No different from any other brand except:

There has been more growth by other manufacturers over more recent years, such as Minelab, Nokta / Makro and XP (Listed in alphabetical order and not in my order of preference) with more innovation, functional features, and lighter & more comfortable models.

Most of White's competitors have provided more useful adjustment functions.

Most also provide better response & recovery as well as handle dense iron contamination better.

The competitors seem to be providing much better product marketing.

Most of the other outfits seem to have more design engineers, and/or more knowledgeable design engineers. Matter of fact, I am not even sure who a "lead" engineer might be at White's these days. I know of good engineers who are no longer there or who have passed away in the last year or two. Other people are also 'gone' and things just don't look all the healthy at White's.

White's model line-up, for the most part, have way over-priced models. The best they have is the MX-7, but older offerings are still at a really high price compared with the other makes.

And White's isn't alone, either. Garrett products and any signs of innovative R&D haven't been all that great and I'm not sure what to expect from them. They do have a good pinpointer.

The most hope I have for any USA manufacturer is First Texas Products. FTP does have good engineers, and if I ignore the mass-market Bounty Hunter line then I do believe there is hope that we will see some newer and improved configuration and featured models in the coming year for both Fisher and Teknetics. That's my hope.

White's has offered some very good and very competitive models, and when asked to mention my favorites they include the XLT, Classic ID or IDX Pro *if modified*, XL Pro, MXT Pro, MX-5 and the MX-7. In my current Specialty-Use Outfit I do have a choice-condition XLT and modified IDX Pro. They do work well and I put them to use at times.

Out of everything they offer today, the MX-7 gets my vote as it does provide ample adjustment functions and very good in-the-field performance. Also, for old pharts like me who deal with health and mobility issues, it is a lighter-weight and well-balanced design. I like it.

But so are all of my Regular-Use Detector Outfit offerings, to include the Nokta CoRe & Relic, Makro Racer 2, Tesoro Bandido II microMAX and Silver Sabre microMAX and my two XP ORX units. The Nokta/Makro Simplex+ will be arriving soon and complete my Outfit. All of these, for the dollar and considering their weight, features and field performance, leave White's way behind.

So, yes, they haave had good detectors and today there are maybe two in their product line that are worthy considerations. Others are dated, clumsy- handling, and/or over-priced for todays market.

Opinions are free.

Monte

Really the only whites I have owned and put time in on was the mx sport..That machine is very good in my opinion,and will dust pretty much anything out there in usable depth,at least in my soil..I read a lot of biased comments from people who haven’t posted a find in months,maybe years,,so consider the source when reading comments.Whites is a landmark American company in this hobbie

Very interesting info and I appreciate all the comments..It really helps. Decisions Decisions !!
Happy Thanksgiving to you all
77563/ USMC66'-

One thing they have to do is offer updates over the internet.
I stopped buying Whites after the MX sport fiasco.
But hoping they build on the v3i and make it waterproof and put it on a diet.

Back
Top Bottom